Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-19-2006, 11:48 AM   #1
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313
Default Mcnair to start..

OWINGS MILLS, Md. (AP) -- Steve McNair is expected to start this Sunday for the Baltimore Ravens, although his injured right hand might affect his practice time this week.

McNair played only two series in the Ravens' playoff-clinching 27-17 win over the Cleveland Browns on Sunday. He left shortly after Cleveland linebacker Andra Davis accidentally stepped on his throwing hand, opening up a cut that made it difficult for the quarterback to take snaps from center.

McNair could have returned if needed, but backup Kyle Boller played well enough to make that a moot point.

"Steve was certainly ready to go back in should something have happened to Kyle, so that was a comfort zone," Ravens coach Brian Billick said Monday. "It was my call. He was ready to go, but I thought it was the prudent thing to do -- and now I'm glad we did."

McNair wanted to play, but the pain he experienced in taking snaps persuaded Billick to avoid using him unless it was absolutely necessary.

"My concern was the quarterback-center exchange. Plus, 60 snaps was going to do nothing but irritate that," Billick said. "I don't know if that would have in our best interest in the long term -- the long term being next week and the week after next."

Boller went 13-for-21 for 238 yards and two touchdowns, and Baltimore (11-3) clinched a playoff berth with its seventh win in eight games. The Ravens are still in the hunt for a first-round bye and the best overall record in the AFC, and now they'll have McNair available for Sunday's game at Pittsburgh and the regular-season finale against visiting Buffalo.

"I think I'll be all right. I just have to get the soreness out of it," McNair said after Sunday's game. "I'm quite sure I'll be ready."

Billick will be careful this week to make sure McNair's tender right hand doesn't take a beating in practice.

"We'll see exactly how it feels," the coach said. "There may be a few more (shot)gun snaps, just to get him the snap that way. I'll have to see exactly how that is Wednesday."

McNair has been an integral part of the Ravens' success this season. Obtained in an offseason trade with the Tennessee Titans, the veteran quarterback has been a leader on the field and in the locker room.

He has also thrown 13 touchdown passes and generated comeback wins over Cleveland, San Diego and Tennessee. But when McNair left the game Sunday, the Ravens quickly accepted the concept of winning with Boller at quarterback.

"No one panicked, no one blinked. It was Kyle's in, let's go," Billick said. "They adjusted very readily."

Even McNair accepted the idea of watching from the sideline, albeit with a certain degree of anxiety.

"I think he recognized that he didn't want to put the team at risk," Billick said. "I think he was glad we were able to do something else, because he recognized it will heal much quicker."

After going 6-10 last year, the Ravens are delighted to be in the playoffs. But they realize that the road to the Super Bowl will be a lot smoother if they receive a first-round bye and play at least one game at home.

"We have to keep chugging," linebacker Bart Scott said. "We still have a lot to play for. By no means do we shut it down here."
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:54 AM   #2
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302
Default Re: Mcnair to start..

Good, Revenge is sweet!

Hell if we cant beat them at thier best, then we dont deserve to go anyway.

Bring them on!

GOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo Steelers!

Who Rides?
Old 12-19-2006, 11:55 AM   #3
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

WE RIDE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines Ward
What are you going to say, I was too rough?
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:20 PM   #4
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Exactly, that way the ratbird fans can't complain when we beat them into submission on Sunday and say that they didn't have their starter. Or better yet, let's hope the defense gives some revenge to McNair for the beating Ben took in the last game.

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:35 PM   #5
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

I wouldn't have it any other way. McNair is beatable.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:40 PM   #6
BigDuke6
Banned

Member Number: 2238

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFanInCA View Post
I wouldn't have it any other way. McNair is beatable.
Thank you. He is VERY beatable.
BigDuke6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:11 PM   #7
DarkRaven
Banned

Member Number: 4312

Well, it should be a pretty good game. McNair adds a new demension to the Ravens offense. McNair use to be a thorn in the Steelers side for many years and it would interesting to see how the Steelers respond. Remember, the Ravens aren't a beat up team with a garbage QB like Chris Wienke. Carolina was a Bye week for you guys. I think this game for both teams will be won at the line. If the Steelers O-line decides to show up this Sunday then you guys have a pretty good chance of beating us.
DarkRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:13 PM   #8
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRaven View Post
Well, it should be a pretty good game. McNair adds a new demension to the Ravens offense. McNair use to be a thorn in the Steelers side for many years and it would interesting to see how the Steelers respond. Remember, the Ravens aren't a beat up team with a garbage QB like Chris Wienke. Carolina was a Bye week for you guys. I think this game for both teams will be won at the line. If the Steelers O-line decides to show up this Sunday then you guys have a pretty good chance of beating us.
whats up with all the ravens fans showing class?
Old 12-19-2006, 02:15 PM   #9
DarkRaven
Banned

Member Number: 4312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
whats up with all the ravens fans showing class?

Hahaha I was thinking the same thing about you guys.
DarkRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 02:37 PM   #10
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRaven View Post
Hahaha I was thinking the same thing about you guys.
This forum has a history of welcomming in fans from outside teams. As long as they dont come in here trolling the board