Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 12-20-2006, 12:00 PM   #1
JeromeDiet
Water Boy

Member Number: 4316
Default Cowher should retire

Judging by the article in the PG Cowher has not yet decided on his retirement. The article goes on to say that, "he revealed that he also was torn whether to retire after the Steelers won the Super Bowl." That is very troubling. It would explain why this team came into the season so undisciplined.

Cowher has already retired, plain and simple. Once you start thinking about retirement you are already retired. This would also explain the lack of passion Cowher has shown on the sidelines all year. He should retire quickly after this season so the organization can get on with the new era.

A few likely candidates and what I think about them.

Ken Whisenhunt OC, Pittsburgh Steelers - Whiz had a very impressive year and inspired year in 2005. The playcalling throughout our run to the playoffs was pristine and was a huge reason for the run. Unleashing Ben while our running game was sputtering was something a Cowher coached team would not usually do and he should be commended for that.

Fast forward to 2006. The playcalling was uninspired and predictable. The team played nonchalantly and we abandoned the run too early many times. I also think the staff rushed Big Ben back from his injuries and we should have stuck with Batch. I think this year is more of what Whiz brings than last year. I would say no to Whiz.

Russ Grimm Offensive Line Coach/ Assistant Head Coach, Pittsburgh Steelers - Russ Grimm is another very popular choice to become our new head coach. I think this would be a huge mistake. Our offensive line has been very inconsistent all year and have routinely put Ben at serious risk (i.e. Baltimore 1.0). I can't remember a time since Grimm has been in charge of this unit that the pass blocking has been above average at all. He has many blue chip performers/ high draft picks and has only been mediocre at best, downright awful at worst. Absolutely not to Grimm. I would actually find a new Offensive Line Coach too.

Dave Wannstedt Head Coach, Pittsburgh Panthers - I know I know would the Rooneys really do something like this you ask? Well it would not surprise me in the least. Lets not forget this man was a finalist in 1992 for the head coaching job, he is also a "Pittsburgh Guy". They took a big chance on a relative unknown in Bill Cowher and I would not be surprised to see it happen with this man as well.

Now onto some of Dave's "accomplishments". I am going to look mainly at his early NFL career as opposed to the early college coaching he did. He was a defensive coordinator for the Dallas Cowboys and actually had this unit performing very well. This is what led to him being a finalist for the Steelers job in the first place.

In 1993 he took on the head coaching duties in Chicago. He was a failure in Chicago and they only made the playoffs one time in 6 years.

After his rocky head coaching job in Chi town he moved onto Miami to become again Defensive Coordinator. While he did make the playoffs a few times in Miami meltdowns in and out of the playoffs ended his career there.

He has done just about nothing with the talent he has at Pitt University and has absolutely no business coaching at the pro level as anything but a Coordinator. His teams have always underachieved and I would cry if the Rooneys made this move

Ron Rivera Defensive Coordinator , Chicago Bears - Ron Rivera has been talked about for various coaching positions for a few years now. I think it would be a perfect fit for a multitude of reasons. First he is a strong defensive coach, the Bears have been ranked near the top of the league in defense. He also had a hand in developing linebackers like Jeremiah Trotter when he was in Philadelphia as a linebackers coach and Brain Urlacher with the Bears. This also fits for one other reason, the fact that he is a minority. The Rooney's will be held to a higher standard around the league because of their strong push for what is now called the "Rooney Rule", which states that teams have to interview at least one minority for head coaching positions. Ron Rivera was the first Hispanic coordinator and could very well end up being the first Hispanic head coach. I personally think this would be a perfect fit.

Dick Lebeau Defensive Coordinator, Pittsburgh Steelers -This is more of a sentimental pick than anything else. Dick Lebeau will probably leave with Bill Cowher and retire permanently. He is somewhat responsible for the turnaround of the Bengals even though he had left before they started winning. He did lay the ground work for Marvin Lewis and should receive some credit for that. He is also 70 years old and the Rooneys seem to like consistency in there coaching staff and hiring someone that old probably doesn't fit in with their mentality.

That's just a few. I think Ron Rivera would be an amazing fit here even if that means switching to a 4 -3 defense. The key is knowing what Cowher will do and getting his replacement settled well before draft day. If Cowher drags this out or comes back for another season that his heart isn't into it their is a solid chance that he will do more harm than good.
JeromeDiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:30 PM   #2
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,251 Times in 2,297 Posts
Default Re: Cowher should retire

I think The Chin will be be back for at least next year. Surely he doesn't want to go out on a bad note like this season??

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:32 PM   #3
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeDiet View Post
Judging by the article in the PG Cowher has not yet decided on his retirement. The article goes on to say that, "he revealed that he also was torn whether to retire after the Steelers won the Super Bowl." That is very troubling. It would explain why this team came into the season so undisciplined.

Cowher has already retired, plain and simple. Once you start thinking about retirement you are already retired. This would also explain the lack of passion Cowher has shown on the sidelines all year. He should retire quickly after this season so the organization can get on with the new era.

A few likely candidates and what I think about them.

Ken Whisenhunt OC, Pittsburgh Steelers - Whiz had a very impressive year and inspired year in 2005. The playcalling throughout our run to the playoffs was pristine and was a huge reason for the run. Unleashing Ben while our running game was sputtering was something a Cowher coached team would not usually do and he should be commended for that.

Fast forward to 2006. The playcalling was uninspired and predictable. The team played nonchalantly and we abandoned the run too early many times. I also think the staff rushed Big Ben back from his injuries and we should have stuck with Batch. I think this year is more of what Whiz brings than last year. I would say no to Whiz.

Russ Grimm Offensive Line Coach/ Assistant Head Coach, Pittsburgh Steelers - Russ Grimm is another very popular choice to become our new head coach. I think this would be a huge mistake. Our offensive line has been very inconsistent all year and have routinely put Ben at serious risk (i.e. Baltimore 1.0). I can't remember a time since Grimm has been in charge of this unit that the pass blocking has been above average at all. He has many blue chip performers/ high draft picks and has only been mediocre at best, downright awful at worst. Absolutely not to Grimm. I would actually find a new Offensive Line Coach too.

Dave Wannstedt Head Coach, Pittsburgh Panthers - I know I know would the Rooneys really do something like this you ask? Well it would not surprise me in the least. Lets not forget this man was a finalist in 1992 for the head coaching job, he is also a "Pittsburgh Guy". They took a big chance on a relative unknown in Bill Cowher and I would not be surprised to see it happen with this man as well.

Now onto some of Dave's "accomplishments". I am going to look mainly at his early NFL career as opposed to the early college coaching he did. He was a defensive coordinator for the Dallas Cowboys and actually had this unit performing very well. This is what led to him being a finalist for the Steelers job in the first place.

In 1993 he took on the head coaching duties in Chicago. He was a failure in Chicago and they only made the playoffs one time in 6 years.

After his rocky head coaching job in Chi town he moved onto Miami to become again Defensive Coordinator. While he did make the playoffs a few times in Miami meltdowns in and out of the playoffs ended his career there.

He has done just about nothing with the talent he has at Pitt University and has absolutely no business coaching at the pro level as anything but a Coordinator. His teams have always underachieved and I would cry if the Rooneys made this move

Ron Rivera Defensive Coordinator , Chicago Bears - Ron Rivera has been talked about for various coaching positions for a few years now. I think it would be a perfect fit for a multitude of reasons. First he is a strong defensive coach, the Bears have been ranked near the top of the league in defense. He also had a hand in developing linebackers like Jeremiah Trotter when he was in Philadelphia as a linebackers coach and Brain Urlacher with the Bears. This also fits for one other reason, the fact that he is a minority. The Rooney's will be held to a higher standard around the league because of their strong push for what is now called the "Rooney Rule", which states that teams have to interview at least one minority for head coaching positions. Ron Rivera was the first Hispanic coordinator and could very well end up being the first Hispanic head coach. I personally think this would be a perfect fit.

Dick Lebeau Defensive Coordinator, Pittsburgh Steelers -This is more of a sentimental pick than anything else. Dick Lebeau will probably leave with Bill Cowher and retire permanently. He is somewhat responsible for the turnaround of the Bengals even though he had left before they started winning. He did lay the ground work for Marvin Lewis and should receive some credit for that. He is also 70 years old and the Rooneys seem to like consistency in there coaching staff and hiring someone that old probably doesn't fit in with their mentality.

That's just a few. I think Ron Rivera would be an amazing fit here even if that means switching to a 4 -3 defense. The key is knowing what Cowher will do and getting his replacement settled well before draft day. If Cowher drags this out or comes back for another season that his heart isn't into it their is a solid chance that he will do more harm than good.
another cowher thread. HTG isn't going to like this..
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 02:49 PM   #4
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
another cowher thread. HTG isn't going to like this..
LOL - gee - why would you say that?

Members are free to post whatever they choose, but as I've stated, I believe this subject has been run into the ground ten times over. I'm not counting sheep at night - I'm counting Cowhers.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 03:56 PM   #5
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post

Members are free to post whatever they choose, but as I've stated, I believe this subject has been run into the ground ten times over. I'm not counting sheep at night - I'm counting Cowhers.
Quote:
Oh no - not this redundant subject again. When Cowher is ready to reveal his plans for the future, he will do so and not a moment before. Carry on.
I would say this is why....
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 04:55 PM   #6
nicesteel4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1775

Quote:

AGREE TOTALLY
Old 12-20-2006, 07:06 PM   #7
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Quote:

AMEN But I must say, great HC are hard to come by, ask oakland, cleve, minn, buff, and so on and on. There are NO gaurantees, but with Cowher we get winners
Old 12-20-2006, 07:08 PM   #8
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrabt View Post
I think The Chin will be be back for at least next year. Surely he doesn't want to go out on a bad note like this season??
100%

Definately!

~Polamalufan43
Old 12-20-2006, 07:12 PM   #9
A.M.
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 4226

He can't retire...he can only retire if he makes it to the playoffs. If we do then yeah...but he can't go out like this.

www.freewebs.com/hacproductions
A.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:23 PM   #10
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572

So ???????????? Did anyone see the Colts beat the crap out of the Bungals ?????????????????????????????????? tee hee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NV STEELERS 723 is offline   Reply With Quote