Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-21-2006, 04:01 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,225 Times in 2,677 Posts
Default any reservations on polamalu starting?

it was just posted that polamalu has been upgraded to probable. and out of all injured players weve had returning this year, this one worries me the most. i was fine with ben returning from head and abdominal surgery/injuries cause its not like he uses his head or guts anyways (just a joke people).

but polamalu really needs fresh legs and knees. a slight ligament tear is scary, although im sure mri's have shown its healed. i do wanna see polamalu and smith on the field at the same time.

i just wanna see troy at 100% rather than try to gut it out at 85% like he did at the beginning of the season.

so is he fully healed or pushing it? knowing him, he wouldnt push it. the team and his bank account rely on him being healthy.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:14 PM   #2
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Re: any reservations on polamalu starting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
it was just posted that polamalu has been upgraded to probable. and out of all injured players weve had returning this year, this one worries me the most. i was fine with ben returning from head and abdominal surgery/injuries cause its not like he uses his head or guts anyways (just a joke people).
That really is funny........thanks goodness the Great and Powerful Oz restored Ben's brains AND his courage.

As for Troy.....we're going to need him........I don't think he'd come back if he wasn't ready. I bet he could have played played last week at less than 100% but he was needed more for these last two games so he rested an extra week. .........I feel better with all our guns loaded.

Besides...Troy has a score to settle with the Ratbirds.....
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."

Last edited by stillers4me; 12-21-2006 at 04:18 PM.
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:20 PM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,827 Times in 2,693 Posts

We are going to need Troy a lot more in the future than we will need him to play out the string this season.

This gets back to only the coach being in a position to override the natural demand of a competitive professional athlete to play ASAP but we know how that went with Ben earlier this year. The coaches can lay it on the doctors, but the team doc said Ben was ready to go in the Oakland game and we know how that turned out. At least with Ben the season was not effectively over when dubious calls were made on playing him.

Maybe the Steelers figure Troy is gone after 2007 and are driving him like a rental car you are not planning to keep.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:22 PM   #4
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

I would have thought Polamalu would be the type of guy you would have to drag kicking and screaming off the field.

That should be the coaches job - to make the decision that benefits the Steelers best in the long term..of course maybe all the coaches aren't going to be around in the long term.

Hopefully he'll be ok and play great.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 04:57 PM   #5
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
We are going to need Troy a lot more in the future than we will need him to play out the string this season.

This gets back to only the coach being in a position to override the natural demand of a competitive professional athlete to play ASAP but we know how that went with Ben earlier this year. The coaches can lay it on the doctors, but the team doc said Ben was ready to go in the Oakland game and we know how that turned out. At least with Ben the season was not effectively over when dubious calls were made on playing him.

Maybe the Steelers figure Troy is gone after 2007 and are driving him like a rental car you are not planning to keep.
If Troy is healthy enough, I see him playing...only he knows his body...you know Dan as for Troy leaving the STEELERS , I just don't see it...he wants to stay in Pittsburgh, and he's not about the cash either...and its refreshing too...its like a throwback 70's player like Donnie Shell,Mean Joe, and Lambert that NEVER thought of leaving...
NV STEELERS 723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 05:00 PM   #6
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

I don't want Troy risking anything so I would say have him be 95% before putting him on the field. I mean, we don't want to risk anything and end up ending his career. I have a feeling he is going to play Sunday, but he won't be 100%.

~Polamalufan43
Old 12-21-2006, 05:08 PM   #7
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

How does anybody foresee us letting Polamalu go? What indication has Troy given that he wants to leave? And what says the Steelers are going to let him go?

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 05:14 PM   #8
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

Troy is staying a Steeler for the rest of his career. I think he'll be one of the first people signed back because he wants to stay in Pittsburgh, he doesn't really care about a high salary, and pretty much everyone would be crazy to let someone wit hhis talent and ability go.

~Polamalufan43
Old 12-21-2006, 05:26 PM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,827 Times in 2,693 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV STEELERS 723 View Post
If Troy is healthy enough, I see him playing...only he knows his body...you know Dan as for Troy leaving the STEELERS , I just don't see it...he wants to stay in Pittsburgh, and he's not about the cash either...and its refreshing too...its like a throwback 70's player like Donnie Shell,Mean Joe, and Lambert that NEVER thought of leaving...
I have the utmost respect for Troy, but please tell me a Steeler other than Plax who did not say he was staying until he was going. It is a business and if some West Coast team with a bundle of cap space wants to make Troy a way above market rate offer to leave he would have to listen.

Troy is not a bling-bling sort of guy, but you can do alot of good for your family and make a difference in the lives of others through charity with the extra $$$.

Once the other issue that dare not be discussed (as far as some posters on this board are concerned) is resolved, the #2 priority in the offseason is to get Troy's contract done.

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 12-21-2006 at 05:39 PM.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 05:45 PM   #10
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
I have the utmost respect for Troy, but please tell me a Steeler other than Plax who did not say he was staying until he was going. It is a business and if some West Coast team with a bundle of cap space wants to make Troy a way above market rate offer to leave he would have to listen.

Troy is not a bling-bling sort of guy, but you can do alot of good for your family and make a difference in the lives of others through charity with the extra $$$.

Once the other issue that dare not be discussed (as far as some posters on this board are concerned) is resolved, the #2 priority in the offseason is to get Troy's contract done.
Dan I think our STEELERS will get Troy a market contract... but I was curious????? we're you talking about Willie Colon's contract, Russ Grimm,or Shawn Morey ?
NV STEELERS 723 is offline   Reply With Quote