Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Fans United

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-22-2006, 11:09 PM   #21
BlacknGold76
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 3810
Default Re: Pittsburghese useage...

Thanks for the reference to the Picksburghese. I like it alot!!!!!!
BlacknGold76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 11:44 PM   #22
pitt
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 474

LOL I like the translator. Now my friends in other states can figure out what the hell I'm saying to them.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:12 AM   #23
BlacknGold76
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 3810

I'm trying to learn Pittsburghese.
BlacknGold76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 02:36 PM   #24
skidboot
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3704

LOL.

I can't believe that when I go down to Pittsburgh that you guys think I have an accent!!!
Old 03-08-2007, 04:57 PM   #25
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572

My Dad has been here in So. NV for 20 years now,( grew up in Dormont, and Brentwood) and he although he doesn't use the words anymore, its just the way his accent is now....he still has that back "east drawl"....

I have never heard him say "yinz" !!!
NV STEELERS 723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:12 PM   #26
SteelShooter
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 2156

Well, I really do not know about all of that. But I do know that, even though I feel as though I have lost most of my SouthEast Texas Drawl, others pick mine up rather quickly.

Since I give briefings quite a bit, I would really catch hell when I first came in the Navy. One of my Senior Chiefs would constantly remind me to use ALL of the standard syllables of a word......"do not add any, do not take any away!"

We have a bad habit of adding syllables to words, but merging words together. In defense, I say "We are just intelligent enough to get the same meaning across with less effort expended!"

Now, after two tours in Japan, a tour in the Philippines, 3 tours in California, a tour in Maine, and an inordinate amount of time overseas (mainly East Asia and the Middle East), I feel as though my Texian is pretty muddled and screwed up. I often catch myself using sentences that consist of words from multiple languages. About the only ones that can understand me are the Navy Old Farts.

But now that I am in Southern Mississippi, some of it is creeping back in.

It's funny how many dialects actually exist in Texas. East/Southeast Drawl, Central TX Twang (very similar to the West TX dialect), and the poor souls that live in the panhandle........poor people sound like Oklahomans (pity, pity).

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." -Ambrose Redmoon.
SteelShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:10 PM   #27
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
I wasn't sure where to put this thread so I thought the "Fans United" area was best.

I haven't lived in the Pittsburgh area since I went off to college in 1987. Today as I watched the NFL Films show about Stiller fans again I thought to myself... "I used to talk like that."

So here's my question for you fans that have moved away.... Do you still sound like a Pittsburgher?

Occasionally I will let rip with some phrase or word pronounciation that will spin the heads of those around me.

I still say::

dahntahn
gumbans
slippy
yinz
worsh
nebby
red up
n'at
chipped ham ( I love goin to the deli and asking for "a pahn a chipped ham". They look at me like I got 2 heads.

Oh... I still drop most of the "to be"s from sentences. There's just so much of the dialect that I don't use anymore. It saddens me a bit.

A while back I was talking to someone for the first time and they asked if I was from western PA. I said yes of course and asked how she knew. She said I sounded like it. I took that as a huge compliment.

My other question:: If you could move back, would you?

If I could afford to I would move back in a heartbeat. Perhaps after the kids have grown and moved away. I dunno.

pissnapalm, I thought you were in Vietnam, judging by your handle. What gives?
GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 02:29 PM   #28
thatashleygirl
Water Boy

Member Number: 5508

I just said gumban the other day and no one knew what I was talkin about! I have only ever called them that. I didnt know other people didnt! Also, "quad" (like ATV) they dont know down here. (in Atlanta Ga).
weird.
thatashleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:44 PM   #29
rabidfrodo
Water Boy

Member Number: 2820

I lived in Pittsburgh for 7 years and moved to Philly and have lived here for 8. The other 3 years of my life were in Chicago but that was early years. The best years have been in Philly though those reasons include the Steelers winning the Super Bowl and other things. You ask the question would I move back.... My dad still has our season tickets, my first choice for a college to attend University of Pittsburgh, my whole family lives there, and last but not least in anyway I love Pittsburgh sports. So in short yes I would move back and in a way I am from August to April and whenever I come back to see family. On the Pittsburghese my mother and fathers families grew up in the suburbs for anyone in Pittsburgh North Allegheny and Sewickly. So my grandparents have an Irish and Pittsburgh accent mix the oddest thing you will ever hear. Every relative that is older than me either speaks it all the time because they live there or in my uncles, fathers and one aunts case when they are home they talk like they haven't left. I have the ability to understand Pittsburghese though I can't speak it.

Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it.
Chuck Noll
rabidfrodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:31 PM   #30
Jman
Team Captain

Member Number: 5903

The site is pretty funny. I noticed I do say some of those things....