Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 12-22-2006, 07:12 AM   #1
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default I find this disturbing.......

Somebody better sit this kid down and tell him in no uncertain terms that one Ocho Cinco in the world is one too many. While I appreciate his enthusiasim and hope that he indeed gets another interception, it's not his job to entertain the troops. Just play football.

Smith plans to push envelope on next pick

By: Jim Wexell, For the Herald-Standard
12/22/2006
PITTSBURGH - Anthony Smith hasn't heard from any of the coaches this week about his showboating antics in last Sunday's game. So he's going to push the envelope if he gets another interception.

"I'm going to do something," the rookie promised. "It won't be as - I don't want to call it outrageous - but as high-profile as that was. I'll do something, but it'll just be a little something, nothing to get me yelled at."
Smith, of course, high-stepped his way to the sidelines after intercepting a pass - his second in as many starts - last Sunday against Carolina. Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau tore into Smith when he reached the sideline. Coach Bill Cowher stepped in to make his point in a calmer manner.
Smith, though, said the rest of the team enjoyed his show.
"The players like it," he said. "We like stuff like that, but the coaches, it's really not the image of the Pittsburgh Steelers, so they just told me to calm down a little bit."
Smith will start his third consecutive game at free safety Sunday against the Baltimore Ravens. He's shown more than an ability to hawk passes; he's shown up in the run game as well. That, he says, is part of his responsibilities and not an undisciplined rookie's attempt to make his presence known.
"When I'm down there in run support that fast, I'm supposed to be down there," he said. "If I see something, I'll go and get it as long as I don't jeopardize the defense."
Will Smith's quick reactions conflict with the return of freelancing strong safety Troy Polamalu?
"I'll still do what I do and Troy will do his thing," Smith said. "We'll just have to be on the same page. It'll be pretty easy. We communicate a lot at practice and are getting a feel for it."
Smith will be one of three rookies in the Steelers' lineup Sunday. Santonio Holmes could start at split end and Willie Colon will start at right tackle. None of the three was in the lineup the first time the Steelers played the Ravens.
"I'm really excited," Smith said. "They caught a couple passes on us last game. Hopefully I can stop that. I think I put more confidence in the corners, allowing them to play knowing I'll be back there and they don't have to worry about the deep balls."
HOLMES TOP ROOKIE
Holmes won the Joe Greene Great Performance Award, given annually to the Steelers' top rookie. The choice is voted upon by the Pittsburgh chapter of the Professional Football Writers of America and Holmes was the runaway winner. He leads AFC rookies with 40 receptions for 610 yards and also leads AFC rookies with 16 third-down catches. He averages 15.3 yards per catch. The number jumps to 19.6 on third down. Holmes also averages 10.3 yards per punt return after bringing one back 65 yards for a touchdown last Sunday. Antwaan Randle El averaged 10.2 yards per return last season.
"You can just see the confidence and speed with which he's playing," said Cowher. "He's making plays for us. I think he's got a very bright future."
That future gets brighter each week. Holmes made his first start last Sunday and appears headed for the same role this week, even though Cedrick Wilson has healed from an ankle injury.
"I wouldn't say it was my best game, but I gave 100 percent effort on every play," Holmes said. "I made blocks for ... big runs. I was sacrificing myself for the team.
"The coaches have been telling me all long that I'm too small, that I need to get into the weight room before I can get in there and start blocking all of those guys. I tell them all the time, coach, just give me a chance. I think I can block those guys."

He did it in a big way Sunday, in addition to his punt return and receiving skills.
"I can get 10 times better," he said.
"Learning from Hines (Ward), the things he talked to me about, trying to stay healthy and studying film. That little bit of edge will help you get an advantage."
THE CHIEF AWARD
Brett Keisel and Deshea Townsend won a share of The Chief Award for their cooperation with the media. The tie is the first since the award's inception in 1988.
"The questions are easier to answer when you're winning," Townsend said. "But you try to be a professional and do what's right for the business of the NFL and not just the team. To keep people talking about the Steelers, which is always great, you have to face every question. If you can face every question and answer it the same way that you would if you were winning, it makes you a better person."
The honor can hold a dubious distinction with teammates, who sometimes view winners as being too friendly with the media.
"I don't think anyone will notice," Townsend said. "Most guys don't know about this award. They'll probably laugh at me."
"Players don't mess with me too much," said Keisel. "They think I'm crazy or something."
INJURY REPORT
Safeties Ryan Clark (groin) and Andre Lott (ankle) have been ruled out of Sunday's game. Safeties Mike Logan (hamstring) and Troy Polamalu (knee) were upgraded to probable.
For the Ravens, wide receiver Mark Clayton was added to the list as questionable with a chest injury. He missed practice Thursday along with the same seven players - Mike Flynn, Todd Heap, Derrick Mason, Jonathan Ogden, Samari Rolle, Gerome Sapp, Daniel Wilcox - who missed Wednesday's practice. They're all listed as questionable.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 08:10 AM   #2
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Re: I find this disturbing.......

And the monster has grown two heads. This is why I had no problem with LeBeau's actions this past Sunday. It's all fun and games until you get a 15 yard penalty.

Do me two favor's Anthony if you really feel the need to celebrate while only being in your rookie season....

1) Make sure you save it for AFTER the play. This time, try and pick up as many yards possible before you make a complete ass out of yourself.

2) Don't take a 15 yard penalty. Since our HC is not getting through to you guys, at least find it in yourselves to not take stupid penalties while making a complete ass out of yourself.

I've heard it all before. Is he spitting in a guy's face? Is he stepping on another player's head? No, he's not. But are those the standards we now judge our players by?

"Hey Anthony, don't pick up those extra yards kid, forget about the chance of a 15 yard penalty. Just don't spit in a man's face or step on his head.". NICE. That definately sounds like Steelers football to me.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 12-22-2006 at 08:20 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 08:29 AM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,521 Times in 3,752 Posts

Well this is just great news.

A back-up rookie safety makes an INT, gets whacked upside the head by a legendary defensive coordinator for showboating, and decides he got smacked not because he was a jerk but because he was not stylish enough with his taunting.

Of course all sorts of Steelers get into the act (now we have golf swings after the sack) so what do you expect.

If I am an opposing OL and this Deion wannabe shows up my team I would plant him. It probably is just me getting old and bemoaning the lax moral standards of the younger generation, but it seems to me our top two draft picks this year do not seem to reflect all that is best about the image of the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 08:51 AM   #4
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
Somebody better sit this kid down and tell him in no uncertain terms that one Ocho Cinco in the world is one too many. While I appreciate his enthusiasim and hope that he indeed gets another interception, it's not his job to entertain the troops. Just play football.
Couldn't say it any better than you did above, stillers. While I never condoned Smith's grandstanding last week, I did feel that the media was belaboring an issue I felt had been resolved between LeBeau and Smith - obviously it has not. I also appreciate his enthusiasm, but we don't need a clown out there performing - we need a solid guy at that safety position who can keep his head (and maturity) in check. Grow up Anthony.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 09:24 AM   #5
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

That sounds kind of delusional on Smith's behalf- I cannot imagine what would happen if a rookie (or any player for that matter) came out with that egotistical BS in the Patriots set-up.

There is a fine line between confidence and arrogance - Smith has already overstepped it.
Quote:
"I'll still do what I do and Troy will do his thing," Smith said. "We'll just have to be on the same page. It'll be pretty easy. We communicate a lot at practice and are getting a feel for it."
This comment is just as worrying - "we'll just have to be on the same page"? - sounds like he think he is already as integral a part to this D as Troy is.

Im glad he's finding it all so easy though - who needs a learning curve?

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 09:45 AM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,099 Times in 4,593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post

This comment is just as worrying - "we'll just have to be on the same page"? - sounds like he think he is already as integral a part to this D as Troy is.

Im glad he's finding it all so easy though - who needs a learning curve?

NM
whats worrying about that? he pretty much realized that a d3efensive unit is only as strong as its weakest link, and if hes not on the same page with troy (and communicating with him like hope did last year), he will be the weakest link.

now if he said "troy just needs to be on the same page with me" i might be a little concerned, but not to the point where i will think "i wish we had the pats set up so this kid would be benched".

porter does his "boot", foote does the snuffing out of the cigarette butt thing. i think 83-steelers said it well. gain all the yards you can and dont get a penalty.

geeze was everyone in an uproar when ben did his 6 shooter thing in denver last year? hell, i wouldnt have minded if willie parker did the nestea plunge after his superbowl run.

but back to what litp said. it is nice to see smith get broken in with some of these easier teams and his confidence grow. sure he will be tested just like polamalu was, but in a year or 2 years he will be the yin to polamalus yang, and we will have the best, hardest hitting safety tandem in the league.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 09:54 AM   #7
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Love the enthusiasm, love the confidence, but please keep your mouth shut and just show everyone with your play on the field. And above all act like you've been there before.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 10:16 AM   #8
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
Let's concentrate on gaining yards first. Save a "little something" for the end zone, if you must.

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 10:22 AM   #9
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
whats worrying about that? he pretty much realized that a d3efensive unit is only as strong as its weakest link, and if hes not on the same page with troy (and communicating with him like hope did last year), he will be the weakest link.

now if he said "troy just needs to be on the same page with me" i might be a little concerned, but not to the point where i will think "i wish we had the pats set up so this kid would be benched".

porter does his "boot", foote does the snuffing out of the cigarette butt thing. i think 83-steelers said it well. gain all the yards you can and dont get a penalty.

geeze was everyone in an uproar when ben did his 6 shooter thing in denver last year? hell, i wouldnt have minded if willie parker did the nestea plunge after his superbowl run.

but back to what litp said. it is nice to see smith get broken in with some of these easier teams and his confidence grow. sure he will be tested just like polamalu was, but in a year or 2 years he will be the yin to polamalus yang, and we will have the best, hardest hitting safety tandem in the league.
I was definitely judging that comment in the overall context of the interview - if he had said it as a stand alone comment I would have thought nothing of it.

Honest opinion?

I think he should have his tail between his legs after the dressing down he got from his coaches - not making out like he is the class joker who annoys the teacher, but who everyone loves really.

Im not going to pigeon hole the guy after what was maybe a little over excitement - its one worth keeping an eye on though.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 10:37 AM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,099 Times in 4,593 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post

Im not going to pigeon hole the guy after what was maybe a little over excitement - its one worth keeping an eye on though.

NM
he doesnt deserve to be pigeonholed and there should be no worry of him becoming the next chad johnson. he went from winning 1 game in his final season at syracuse to contributing to wins right after his 1st start with the superbowl champs. thats a little something to be excited about. im sure he will learn to act like hes been there before once he knows what its like to be there.

hell even the stoic and unflappable patriots did this same stuff in their biggest game ever, when THREE players couldnt resist the urge to mock terrel owens' eagle arm flap.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote