Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 12-22-2006, 12:24 PM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Gonna share a story

I shared this with HTG and had some trepitation about posting it...I DO NOT want anyone to thing that I am patting myself on the back...It was just a situation that helped me and my family get what Christmas is all about...back into the correct percpective...

The wife and I go out on Wednesday night to do our last minute shopping. Hard to find a place to park...stores were crowded...and we couldnt find what we wanted...needless to say before the night was through we ended up being ticked off at the situation and each other. (I know..nice Chritmas Spirit)

Yesterday at about 10:00 am ..she calls me crying. She is an Orthodontic Assistant and was working on a 15 year old boy from a nearby town. He wasnt dressed very well and was very quiet. Becky was trying to make conversation with him and asked him what he wanted for Christmas.

He started crying (trying to turn his head so that she couldnt see) and told her that his Father had passed away...His mother was in a nursing home for cancer rehabilitation...The Grandmother who was raising him had recently been diagnosed with incurable cancer and had maybe a couple of months to live...and he had moved in with an Aunt and Uncle but the Uncle had recently moved in with another women...so his Aunt was struggling financially. They had their phone turned off and he told her that he didnt think they would be able to have any type of Christmas at all. Being a "young man" he told my wife that it "wasnt a big deal"

Ny wife was just BROKEN by what this kid was going through. She tried to lift his spirits and told him .."you never know"..."what have you been asking for"?

The young man told her that everyone always talks about PS2 and he has always wanted one. He told her that he didnt need a PS3..just wanted a PS2...but that again..."It's not a big deal"

By the time Becky had finished telling me this story ..I was crying...I told the story to my fellow employees...they were crying...and I called Becky back and told her .."We are going to do something"

Last night Becky, the kids, and I went out and bought this kid a new PS2 and 9 games, a "Zits" (comic) softback and Foxtrot softback books ...

I can't tell you how this situation has brought back what Christmas is really about for me and the family...The kids were on cloud 9 that they could help this kid out..and Becky and I were ashamed of the shallowness and pettiness that we fed just the night before. (We have so much...and dont appreciated it daily the way we should)

We have contacted the local church where this kid and his aunt attend (Beckys supervisor knew a person who knew the family)...and on Chritmas Eve this year...they are going to deliver Food...Clothes...and our contribution to their doorstep, ring the bell and leave this family knowing that for one night...for them..."Santa Claus" and the true nature of Christian compassion... is real.

I'm not sure how to explain it but I REALLY feel that this kid has given my family a greater gift then we gave him.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:54 PM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Gonna share a story

What an absolutely BEAUTIFUL story, Perry. What you and your wife did for this young man is what Christ teaches us and is in the true spirit of the Christmas meaning. I always knew you were a wonderful guy and this only reinforces this belief. This young man was sent not only one Christmas angel, but two, whose names are Perry and Becky. Kudos to you and your lovely wife, my friend, for bringing some love, smiles and light into the life of a kid who has gone through more trauma in his short life than most of us experience in a lifetime. Bless you both.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:30 PM   #3
Maidenarcher
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2474

I think you got it right.....I think at Christmas and all year long we shouldn't be so wrapped up in ourselves, our desires, or needs. We should keep our hearts open and when we see a need that someone has, we should be able to help in some way....I think it is even more important that our children learn this..Our children have become so spoiled with all the exspensive gadgets and stuff, they have smart mouths, and don't know how to appreciate anything. It would do them a world of good to volunteer on the weekends or the holidays at soup kitchens or any place that they can do something for someone else. It teaches them compassion, it teaches them to give, and it teaches them to be thankful for what they have......

LLT, thanks for sharing this story and for blessing that family in need....

MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND EVERY STEELER FAMILY IN THE NEW YEAR.....LET US BE THANKFUL NOT JUST DURING CHRISTMAS, BUT ALL YEAR LONG...AND, MAY WE ALWAYS REMEMBER "THE REASON FOR THE SEASON" IS ABOUT CHRIST, not santa.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:39 PM   #4
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

Truly the Spirit of Christmas. Thanks for sharing.

I have helped my kids participate for years in an organization called Operation Christmas Child. It is headed by Franklin Graham (Billy's son). All you do is take a shoe box and fill it with toys and small items for specifically a boy or girl then take it to a drop off point (they're all over...many times churches or Christian schools). They take the boxes, wrap them and then take them to various war-torn areas around the world, to give to impoverished chidren with the message of Christ's love. I have heard Franklin Graham speak about the poorest of children with desperate need of food and clothing (which they provide as well) and how they run, barefoot, to receive the shoebox. He said that the delight on their faces from a simple toy is unmatched by anything else they are able to provide. I hope that some of you will consider this organization or find your own way to express a Spirit of giving and foster it in your kids.

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.

Last edited by floodcitygirl; 12-22-2006 at 06:37 PM.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 06:09 PM   #5
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

Now that is the Spirit of the Season and a true Christian attitude all rolled in to one. Everyone seems to forget how much they truly have until it's either A.) Gone or B.) something like this opens their eyes and they see what they have. And it's not our fauts either. The holidays have become too commercialzed. From the media advertisements and everything else, the meaning of the holidays gets trapped and buried in gift wrap and ribbons. And it seems that no one even really cares about New Year's anymore. So LLT, I want to thank you for helping that boy. I think we all need to realize the true meaning of Christmas, family and God.

~Polamalufan43
Old 12-22-2006, 06:30 PM   #6
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Props to you and your family, Perry.

If im honest its not always a totally unselfish thing when you do something nice for someone - there is alot to be said for that 'feel good' buzz you get just by doing the decent/right thing.

I guess that maybe not everyone gets that same 'buzz' or people would help each other out alot more.

Thanks for sharing.

Nigel
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 09:00 PM   #7
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

Great job to you and your family lambert.
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 09:14 PM   #8
steelerbackr4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1931

Very nice . Nothing ever realy feels as good to me as the feeling you get when you help someone less fortunate. You never know how far even just a kind word to someone who is feeling down can go.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:16 AM   #9
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maidenarcher View Post
I think you got it right.....I think at Christmas and all year long we shouldn't be so wrapped up in ourselves, our desires, or needs. We should keep our hearts open and when we see a need that someone has, we should be able to help in some way....I think it is even more important that our children learn this..... It teaches them compassion, it teaches them to give, and it teaches them to be thankful for what they have......
Well put maiden...you should have seen my son picking out games...He was trying his best to find games that he thought this kid would think were "cool"...(he even told us that if we didnt want to buy a PS2 he would donate his...but that may have been his way of impressing us into getting him a PS3..LOL...He is a good kid....but he is my little loophole finder )
Old 12-23-2006, 09:20 AM   #10
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by floodcitygirl View Post
Truly the Spirit of Christmas. Thanks for sharing.

I have helped my kids participate for years in an organization called Operation Christmas Child. It is headed by Franklin Graham (Billy's son). All you do is take a shoe box and fill it with toys and small items for specifically a boy or girl then take it to a drop off point (they're all over...many times churches or Christian schools). They take the boxes, wrap them and then take them to various war-torn areas around the world, to give to impoverished chidren with the message of Christ's love. I have heard Franklin Graham speak about the poorest of children with desperate need of food and clothing (which they provide as well) and how they run, barefoot, to receive the shoebox. He said that the delight on their faces from a simple toy is unmatched by anything else they are able to provide. I hope that some of you will consider this organization or find your own way to express a Spirit of giving and foster it in your kids.
Excellent program FCG..hope you dont mind me posting the link: http://www.samaritanspurse.org/OCC.asp?MPGID=1