Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 12-23-2006, 05:07 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Smith is blossoming as Steelers free safety

Saturday, December 23, 2006
By Colin Dunlap, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

He sat in the corner of the Steelers' locker room on the South Side, in a silent moment devoid of much movement and any talk.

His demeanor before practice was as straightforward and no-frills as his name -- Anthony Smith.

And, as the commonplace banter and shenanigans swirled around him, Smith sat on a stool, speaking just above a whisper.

"I always had a dream of playing in the NFL," said the rookie free safety who was drafted in the third round from Syracuse.

"To be honest, you don't want to be that guy sitting around and not playing all that much, no matter what level it is. I told myself, 'If I didn't start, I was going to work hard and wait my turn.' But, I was going to come here and give it all I have on every snap and see what happened."

What has happened was that Smith --one of three Steelers starters with that surname -- has catapulted to an unexpected place.

The divisional showdown at Heinz Field tomorrow against AFC North leader Baltimore (11-3) will mark Smith's third consecutive start, no small feat for a rookie safety.

The fact is Smith realized an opportunity and ran with it

Ryan Clark started the first 12 games at free safety, but sustained a groin injury in the Dec. 3 win against Tampa Bay. Clark missed the next game at home against Cleveland on that bitingly cold night, giving Smith his first career start. Until then, Smith had been relegated to some dime-coverage action and had proven to be a solid performer on special teams.

Last week at Carolina, Smith started again, even though Clark was reactivated, and tomorrow, when the Ravens visit, Smith will be running with the first defense because Clark again is hampered by the injury and will not dress.

With his two interceptions in the past two games, Smith has forced coach Bill Cowher to take notice.

"He's gotten better, there is no question," Cowher said of Smith, whose Hubbard, Ohio, hometown is about an hour from Heinz Field. "I think Anthony was ready, has done a very good job, particularly in the last month. ... He's felt comfortable back there [in the secondary] and he's made some plays for us."

In addition to his physical talents and knack of seeing things before they fully develop, Smith also has won his teammates' trust.

"It is way more complex here," Pro Bowl strong safety Troy Polamalu said of the Steelers' defense.

"Some organizations run just three defenses where we may run 30 different defenses in a game. To adjust to that and have the responsibility of learning all of that is a difficult task, and Anthony has shown that he's able to grasp it."

Seventh-year safety Tyrone Carter agreed.

"His development has really come on this year," Carter said. "But we kind of expected it. We knew he had what it takes to be a great player for us."

There was, though, that one transgression last week in Charlotte when Smith picked off a pass and engaged in a high-step show.

That drew defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau's ire and Cowher's disdain.

Chalk it up to a moment of poor judgment, a lesson learned.

"Players like it," Smith said with a chuckle before turning serious. "The coaches, though, they don't. That right there, what I did, is not the image of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Everyone told me just to calm down a little bit, and I realized my mistake."

But his mistakes have been few and far between of late.

"Anthony is very observant," Polamalu said. "He is very humble in the fact that he is willing to learn from other players. He is who he is as a safety and is very talented. He can be a great and he's already proven to be a great safety. He should even continue to improve."

That is exactly what the Steelers are counting on.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 07:12 AM   #2
SteelersWoman
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3077
Default Re: Smith is blossoming as Steelers free safety

Two games...two INTs...let's hope the trend continues! :D
SteelersWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 08:02 AM   #3
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

This young man is on his way to becoming a kick-ass corner for the black'n gold! He got his chance and he is running with it - literally. Here's to the trend continuing against the Rats tomorrow, Anthony!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 08:03 AM   #4
touchdownward
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 3188

Sounds like a different side of the man that most of you were so "disturbed" about a couple of days ago.

Blah!
touchdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 09:25 AM   #5
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchdownward View Post
Sounds like a different side of the man that most of you were so "disturbed" about a couple of days ago.
It does sound like a different side...people have more than one. Here's to him catching the ball and running with it until the play is over. Good job Anthony! Let's see it tomorrow!

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 09:31 AM   #6
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

I have no doubt about his talent.......CJ is a talented player, too. Just make the plays and celebrate, afterward Anthony.....not during!!! If Troy trusts you.....well 'nuff said. Welcome to the Steelers, young man!
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:24 AM   #7
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersWoman View Post
Two games...two INTs...let's hope the trend continues! :D
Amen to that!

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:34 AM   #8
steelerbackr4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1931

Thats good to read ! Heres to continuing his great play against the Ratbirds tomorrow!
Old 12-23-2006, 11:01 AM   #9
Kermit
Water Boy

Member Number: 3523

Holmes has impressed me over the last few weeks, but Smith is (in my opinion) our best draft pick this year -- he made plays back in the preseason, and he's making them now.

Nice guy, too. I look forward to seeing him in black and gold for a long time to come.
Kermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 11:54 AM   #10
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
I have no doubt about his talent.......CJ is a talented player, too. Just make the plays and celebrate, afterward Anthony.....not during!!! If Troy trusts you.....well 'nuff said. Welcome to the Steelers, young man!
Thats huge when Troy talks about him ...just save the dancing until after the final score!
NV STEELERS 723 is offline   Reply With Quote