Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-23-2006, 07:37 AM   #1
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911
Default 34 years ago today.....

[Jack Fleming]
"..... and the ball is caught out-of the air by Franco Harris.....

..... I don't even-know where he CAME from....."

[/Jack Fleming]

I was sitting in my parents dinning-room, listening to the game on their console-mnodel stereo, in the days-before home-games being televised, with my Dad, holding his head in his hands.....

Last edited by 4xSBChamps; 12-23-2006 at 08:04 AM.
4xSBChamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 07:51 AM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: 34 years ago today.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xSBChamps View Post
[Jack Fleming]
"..... and the ball is caught out-of the air by Franco Harris.....

..... I don't even-know where he CAME from....."

[/Jack Fleming]

I was sitting in my parents dinning-room, listening to the game on their console-mnodel stereo, in the days-before home-games being televised, with my Dad, holding his head in his hands.....
I'll never forget that play as long as I live! I was at TRS with my Dad that day and when the Immaculate Reception happened, there were hoardes of people who were in the process of leaving their seats to get a jump on traffic, as they thought the game was over. They stopped dead in their tracks in the aisles and pandamonium broke out!

Art Rooney didn't get to witness that incredible play first-hand, either, as I learned from going to see the play, The Chief. He was on his way down to his office and he heard the crowd going crazy and asked a passerby what happened!

to Franco, that incredible team, Chuck Noll, the Rooneys and the Pittsburgh Steelers fans who all shared a part of that historical day!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 07:59 AM   #3
touchdownward
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 3188

That play, to this day, still makes John Madden's blood boil, and I love it.

Blah!
touchdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 08:00 AM   #4
LarryNJ
Starter

Member Number: 2857

Quote:

I was a young 12 year old boy, also sitting in the living room with my dad listening to the game. I was more of a baseball fan back than and I just remember my father jumping up and down screaming. My father passed away 1-1/2 years later and that day is one of my fondest memories of him.
LarryNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 08:04 AM   #5
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post

Art Rooney didn't get to witness that incredible play first-hand, either, as I learned from going to see the play, The Chief. He was on his way down to his office and he heard the crowd going crazy and asked a passerby what happened!
4 years ago, I met a fellow who's dad was part of the Security Team at Three Rivers in those days, and he was with the Chief when it went-down, in the elevator.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:11 AM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,486 Times in 3,731 Posts

Quote:
I'll never forget that play as long as I live! I was at TRS with my Dad that day and when the Immaculate Reception happened, there were hoardes of people who were in the process of leaving their seats to get a jump on traffic, as they thought the game was over. They stopped dead in their tracks in the aisles and pandamonium broke out!

to Franco, that incredible team, Chuck Noll, the Rooneys and the Pittsburgh Steelers fans who all shared a part of that historical day!
HTG

I was there at TRS as well, sitting upstairs with my Dad in end zone seats.

Total despair as Ken Stabler (Steelers D had driven Lamonica to the bench) scrambled for a 30 yard TD run with less than 2 minutes to go to put the Raiders up 7-6.

Figured we might as well stay to the bitter end when Franco comes running toward the end zone where we were sitting and scores.

Total pandemonium as the Steelers rise to power in the 1970s really kicked in that day.

Here is an excerpt from the Wikpedia description of the play:

The Pittsburgh Steelers trailed the Oakland Raiders 7-6, facing fourth-and-ten on their own 40-yard line with 22 seconds remaining in the game and no time outs. Head coach Chuck Noll called a pass play, 66 Circle Option, intended for receiver Barry Pearson[1], a rookie who was playing in his first NFL game. Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw, unable to find Pearson while avoiding two Raiders defenders, threw the football to the Raiders' 35-yard line, toward fullback John "Frenchy" Fuqua. Raiders safety Jack Tatum reached Fuqua just as the ball did. Tatum's hit knocked Fuqua to the ground. The ball sailed backward several yards, end over end. Steelers running back Franco Harris, after initially blocking on the play, had moved forward in case Bradshaw needed another eligible receiver. He scooped up the sailing ball just before it hit the ground, apparently off the tops of his shoes, and ran the rest of the way downfield to score the touchdown that gave the Steelers a 12-7 lead with five seconds remaining in the game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immaculate_Reception
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 08:20 AM   #7
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
HTG

I was there at TRS as well, sitting upstairs with my Dad in end zone seats.

Total despair as Ken Stabler (Steelers D had driven Lamonica to the bench) scrambled for a 30 yard TD run with less than 2 minutes to go to put the Raiders up 7-6.

Figured we might as well stay to the bitter end when Franco comes running toward the end zone where we were sitting and scores.

Total pandemonium as the Steelers rise to power in the 1970s really kicked in that day.

Here is an excerpt from the Wikpedia description of the play:

The Pittsburgh Steelers trailed the Oakland Raiders 7-6, facing fourth-and-ten on their own 40-yard line with 22 seconds remaining in the game and no time outs. Head coach Chuck Noll called a pass play, 66 Circle Option, intended for receiver Barry Pearson[1], a rookie who was playing in his first NFL game. Steelers quarterback Terry Bradshaw, unable to find Pearson while avoiding two Raiders defenders, threw the football to the Raiders' 35-yard line, toward fullback John "Frenchy" Fuqua. Raiders safety Jack Tatum reached Fuqua just as the ball did. Tatum's hit knocked Fuqua to the ground. The ball sailed backward several yards, end over end. Steelers running back Franco Harris, after initially blocking on the play, had moved forward in case Bradshaw needed another eligible receiver. He scooped up the sailing ball just before it hit the ground, apparently off the tops of his shoes, and ran the rest of the way downfield to score the touchdown that gave the Steelers a 12-7 lead with five seconds remaining in the game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immaculate_Reception
Thanks for the memories of that play, Dan - it still sends shivers up my spine. Dad and I sat in our usual seats in 646 and if I remember correctly, it was a bit nippy out there that day, back when Pittsburgh actually used to have winter. After Franco's miraculous play, I don't think there was a fan in the stadium who was cold!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 08:31 AM   #8
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Quote:
..... if I remember correctly, it was a bit nippy out there that day, back when Pittsburgh actually used to have winter.....
If I'm not-mistaken, just 8 days later, when 'em Stillers hosted 'em Dolphs for the AFC Championship, I played street-hockey in the morning, then listened to that game, sitting on the porch in a T-shirt & shorts.....

Clemente got killed, later that same-night.....
Old 12-23-2006, 09:41 AM   #9
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Ther are times that I feel honored to know some of you people. To be able to sit here and read comments from some of you who witnessed the most incredible play in NFL history just makes this thread surreal.

Thank you
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 09:49 AM   #10
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

Quote:
If I'm not-mistaken, just 8 days later, when 'em Stillers hosted 'em Dolphs for the AFC Championship, I played street-hockey in the morning, then listened to that game, sitting on the porch in a T-shirt & shorts.....

Clemente got killed, later that same-night.....
I was pretty young but I'll never forget the terrible sense of loss that I felt that day when news of Clemente's death came.

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote