Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-23-2006, 09:02 AM   #11
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Re: 34 years ago today.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by floodcitygirl View Post
I was pretty young but I'll never forget the terrible sense of loss that I felt that day when news of Clemente's death came.
It's weird, I don't remember anything about that football game, but I do remember Clemente being killed in the plane crash. Maybe it's becasue I had gone to a Pirate game and remember Roberto Clemente getting a standing ovation for just walking out on the field. My granddad was a huge Pirate fan. I think I still have the newspaper article in an old, yellowed out scrapbook somewhere. I was just barely a teenager at the time.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."

Last edited by stillers4me; 12-23-2006 at 12:01 PM.
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 09:06 AM   #12
floodcitygirl
Team Owner

Member Number: 1784

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
It's weird, I don't remember anything about that football game, but I do remember Clemente being killed in the plane crash. Maybe it's becasue I had gone to a Pirate game and remember Roberto Clemente getting a standing ovation for just walking out on the field. My granddad was a huge Pirate fan. I think I have have the newspaper article in an old, yellowed out scrapbook somewhere. I was just barely a teenager at the time.
I was thinking the same thing. I don't remember anything about that play until afterwards, hearing about it. My Dad was a huge Pirates fan. When Clemente was killed it felt like a loss in the family. It seemed like our whole town was in mourning.

Thanks to MeanJoe for surprising me with my new sig.
floodcitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 09:08 AM   #13
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
..... I don't remember anything about that football game.....
Bradshaw got hit-hard while trying to score, got knocked-woozy and fumbled the ball into the endzone, where Guard Gerry 'Moon' Mullins recovered for a TD:
Bradshaw later returned to action, and WR Al Young made a brilliant one-handed catch for a TD, but would later be diagnosed with a physical ailment (heart condidtion? ), and never play again:
the Stillers were suffereing from a team-wide flu-epidemic that week, and of-course, Larry Siepel ran untouched down-field on a fake-punt, and turned the tide of the game, which was as-close as the Dolphs came to losing that season.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:10 AM   #14
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Quote:
Originally Posted by floodcitygirl View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I don't remember anything about that play until afterwards, hearing about it. My Dad was a huge Pirates fan. When Clemente was killed it felt like a loss in the family. It seemed like our whole town was in mourning.
I shudder to think about how close we came to being a city in mourning again last summer...........
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."

Last edited by stillers4me; 12-23-2006 at 11:04 AM.
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 10:51 AM   #15
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572

Well,,,, at least I was born..but only nearing my lst B-Day....
NV STEELERS 723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 11:57 AM   #16
BigDuke6
Banned

Member Number: 2238

Quote:
It's weird, I don't remember anything about that football game, but I do remember Clemente being killed in the plane crash. Maybe it's becasue I had gone to a Pirate game and remember Roberto Clemente getting a standing ovation for just walking out on the field. My granddad was a huge Pirate fan. I think I have have the newspaper article in an old, yellowed out scrapbook somewhere. I was just barely a teenager at the time.
As Ive said on this blog before, Ive been a Steelers fan since that day. I was 11 years old and only saw it on the sports highlights on the 6 pm news. But that was it for me. Steelers for life since.
On the death of Clemente, as I said I was only 11 and grew up in Ottawa Canada. My Dad used to drive us to Montreal (2 hours) to see Expo games and I remember that summer we went to see the Pirates. It was funny because my Mom never came to the games with us but she came to that one. When I asked her why she came to that particular game she told me she just had to see Roberto Clemente play baseball. Thats the kind of player he was.
BigDuke6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 04:04 PM   #17
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Great reminder of a great Steelers moment!
Old 12-23-2006, 05:52 PM   #18
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

I too was listening to the game on radio, my dad and uncle were at the game. And remember the following week when Clemente died, was a totally sad day in Pittsburgh, if not the saddest ever.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 06:11 PM   #19
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,207 Times in 2,670 Posts

ive always found it ironic that the steelers 70's dynasty was born with the immaculate reception leading to an afc champ game against the greatest team ever (to that point, 14-0 dolphins), and their dynasty died in the early 80's in the afc champ game to the marino led dolphins.

it took 2 record seasons by the dolphins to usher in, and put the final nail in the coffin of the greatest footbal dynasty of all time.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 06:25 PM   #20
Indy_Steelers
Team Captain

Member Number: 1117

This was just days before my first birthday.What a great 1st birthday gift.
Here it is on my youtube site.