Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 08-03-2005, 12:32 AM   #1
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86
Default Bus up and running

Bus up and running
By Joe Bendel
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, August 3, 2005

Running back Jerome Bettis navigated the fields at St. Vincent College on Tuesday as if he were a 22-year-old rookie. He sprinted through holes, outran linebacker Clint Kriewaldt on a body-twisting pass pattern and appeared to have an extra surge of energy.
All of which raised the question: Is this going to be his final training camp?

"It could be," said Bettis, who enters his 13th NFL season, 10th with the Steelers. "I'm taking it one day at a time. I haven't really made that decision yet. I looked at every year the past couple of years that it was going to be my last year. It probably was supposed to be (my final season) the last couple years. But I keep rewriting the book."

Bettis contemplated retirement this past offseason, just months after filling in for the injured Duce Staley and rushing for 941 yards. But he opted to take another shot at playing in his first Super Bowl -- which will be held in his hometown of Detroit.

The decision, however, was far from easy, considering he struggled with aches and pains as recently as June.

"Once I got through the pain issue, I just wanted to see if it was going to linger and stay with me," Bettis said. "There's no need to start a new season in pain. So, the process after last year was pain tolerance. If I would still have been in pain, I would have known my body was telling me something."

Given that he's at full strength - "I won't take any precautions at camp," he said.

The 33-year-old Bettis was asked if he had any intentions of trying to wrest the starting tailback job away from Staley.

He flashed a wide smile before giving a resounding "no."

"I've been 'The Man' for a long time," Bettis said. "I'm comfortable in my role right now. I want to support Duce and I'll be ready to rock when they call me."

Bettis added that there are moments when he misses being the featured back, but reality always kicks in.

Rest of the article: http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/trib.../s_359819.html

I am very glad to hear the Bus is looking so good. We need him to be ready in case we need him and it sounds like he is more than ready.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:41 AM   #2
pitt
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 474
Default Re: Bus up and running

I would love to see Jerome as the starter again.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:02 AM   #3
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

Quote:
Running back Jerome Bettis navigated the fields at St. Vincent College on Tuesday as if he were a 22-year-old rookie. He sprinted through holes, outran linebacker Clint Kriewaldt on a body-twisting pass pattern and appeared to have an extra surge of energy.
All of which raised the question: Is this going to be his final training camp?
That's good news indeed! Go get em bus !
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 06:06 AM   #4
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

As a 1-2 combo its hard to see a stronger running pairing in the league, although I am not sure I see both players finishing the season. Injuries take alot longer to heal when you are 33 no matter how physically fit you are.

After last years effort I would expect to see an almost 50/50 split in playing time.

NM
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 07:57 AM   #5
SteelerFanInATL
Team Captain

Member Number: 369

I think we should go into the season the same way we did last year with Duce as the starter and Betttis as the backup. Duce was doing very well last year and would have rushed for over 1000 yards if not for the hamstring. He was brought in as the future replacement for The Bus and earned that spot last year. Please don't get me wrong, I love Jerome and it is great to have him back again this year. I think it will be better for him and the team for him to play the same role he did last year. (this year we should give Duce more of a chance in goal line situations) The healthier Jerome is going into the second half of the season and playoffs, the better off we will be. It is very nice to know if your Caddilac goes down, you can pull THE BUS out the garage and get it on the road. :sign10:
SteelerFanInATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 08:01 AM   #6
SteelR1
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 512

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFanInATL
It is very nice to know if your Caddilac goes down, you can pull THE BUS out the garage and get it on the road. :sign10:

Now theres a way to put it!!!!!!! :D