Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-24-2006, 07:02 PM   #1
Eztarget
Starter

Member Number: 162
Default Next Year top five things to fix

Next year ...

Yeah I know we have one meaningless game next week and by then it could be meaningless for the Bungals as well since they just finished botching up a simple extra point and lost to Denver. Right now Denver and the Jets control their own destinies ... but enough about this year we're officially done ...

Here are my top five ISSUES that need to be addressed this offseason:

ISSUE #1: Right now the most important thing about next year is Cowher. If he's staying (which I don't think he is) then he needs to RECOMMIT to the team. It was painfully clear that he was not all here this season and had one eye on North Carolina.

ISSUE #2: Our horrible offensive line. Against weaker teams they looked dominate, but against teams heading to the playoffs they were turnstiles.

ISSUE #5: Our pass defense (or lack there of). Teams knew they couldn't run against us so they just passed ... and succeeded. That can't happen.

ISSUE #4: Ben. Is this kid our future? I know he had a rough off-season and looked great some days then horrible others. I really think if you fix issue #2 then issue #4 will take care of itself.

ISSUE #5: Special teams. Several muffed kick-off and punts KILLED us this year. Can't happen next year if we are to be successful again.
Eztarget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 07:04 PM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: Next Year top five things to fix

I would have to add to that a tall receiver. We need ONE tall receiver to play opposite Ward and Holmes.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 07:10 PM   #3
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,402 Times in 1,647 Posts

Need to add a good kicker to that list, 20yd punts aren't going to cut it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 07:41 PM   #4
JAG151
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 2179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eztarget View Post
Next year ...

Yeah I know we have one meaningless game next week and by then it could be meaningless for the Bungals as well since they just finished botching up a simple extra point and lost to Denver. Right now Denver and the Jets control their own destinies ... but enough about this year we're officially done ...

ISSUE #1: Right now the most important thing about next year is Cowher. If he's staying (which I don't think he is) then he needs to RECOMMIT to the team. It was painfully clear that he was not all here this season and had one eye on North Carolina.

ISSUE #2: Our horrible offensive line. Against weaker teams they looked dominate, but against teams heading to the playoffs they were turnstiles.

ISSUE #5: Our pass defense (or lack there of). Teams knew they couldn't run against us so they just passed ... and succeeded. That can't happen.

ISSUE #4: Ben. Is this kid our future? I know he had a rough off-season and looked great some days then horrible others. I really think if you fix issue #2 then issue #4 will take care of itself.

ISSUE #5: Special teams. Several muffed kick-off and punts KILLED us this year. Can't happen next year if we are to be successful again.
I agree 100% with everything you say, as well as the "tall" receiver.
And as long as we're adding things, I think the absence of Bettis proved bigger than thought at the beginning of the season, Parker will be great, but I think a "big" back is needed as well, to pound opponets later in the game. Is Davenport this back? We'll have to see, I think with the proper training with this idea could be good with him in the backfield as well. He certainly didn't have this thought process in Green Bay and I think he could do well there.

We'll get em next year!!

JAG151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 08:24 PM   #5
BigDuke6
Banned

Member Number: 2238

Quote:
Next year ...

Agreed !!!!
Item #4 is a no-brainer IMO. Ben is the future and the present.
Issue 1 is the biggest issue.
Issue 5 will be resolved once Issue 1 is as I'm sure the new guy will bring a new ST coach.
BigDuke6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 08:50 PM   #6
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

Quote:
Next year ...

Well said. Except i'd rank improving the secondary right behind resolving the possible quandry at head Coach. Mcfadden and Smith show promise. But all of the others that are not Troy are average at best (and on the border of being "Clown Shoes")
I'm also not willing to lay ALL of the blame for Ben's shenanigans on the O-line. Yes,... they need to tighten up.
But they aren't responsible for a weak arm, poorly thrown balls, slow release and inability to properly diagnose coverage. No quarterback can perform without protection,.....but let's be honest, protection is the very least of what's suspect with Bens game. (We just had a physical "ball control" ground game to mask this his first two seasons)

"Hail Caesar,.......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 08:57 PM   #7
MJ5150
Starter

Member Number: 3203

Quote:
ISSUE #1: Right now the most important thing about next year is Cowher. If he's staying (which I don't think he is) then he needs to RECOMMIT to the team.
I'm going to assume this is an accurate comment about BC not being committed to the team. With that in mind......

Go away Bill. I don't want someone around coaching my team who needs to "re-commit" himself to the franchise. You are either on board or you are not!

-Mike
MJ5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 09:12 PM   #8
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCzar76 View Post
No quarterback can perform without protection,.....but let's be honest, protection is the very least of what's suspect with Bens game. (We just had a physical "ball control" ground game to mask this his first two seasons)
Yep, that explains why we beat the #1, #2, and #3 seeds in the playoffs last season on the road with Ben primarily throwing the ball, and our "ball control" back (Bettis) not even starting.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 09:21 PM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Yep, that explains why we beat the #1, #2, and #3 seeds in the playoffs last season on the road with Ben primarily throwing the ball, and our "ball control" back (Bettis) not even starting.
Yep. Go back and look at the stats. We actually won by Ben THROWING the ball in the first half. Then, we starting running the ball more. The big difference, was that our D would actually show up at times, which they did not this year. I think the biggest thing, as I said last year, is that we need to figure out a better "D" scheme.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 09:26 PM   #10
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post

Blitzkrieg baby boy,....caught them all of guard by passing EARLY. This was effective because they were all prepared for a heavyweight fight in the trenches. With the exception of SeaGulls.(whom wisely didn't buy into it)
How was that Superbowl passing offense ?

"I can't believe he threw it"
Champ Bailey

"Hail Caesar,......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote