Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-27-2006, 03:50 AM   #21
Steel Pit
Banned

Member Number: 2140
Default Re: Mike Bires: Roethlisberger's ego and Cowher's decisions led to 7-8 record

I'm a huge Roethlisberger fan but I must admit that he appeared to be playing scared more than once this season. I can't say that I blame him for being a little shaky against the Ravens because the protection totally SUCKED in both games. Nonetheless he needs to regain his courage while in the pocket.
Steel Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 04:37 AM   #22
LarryNJ
Starter

Member Number: 2857
Default Re: Mike Bires: Roethlisberger's ego and Cowher's decisions led to 7-8 record

I take some of the people who post on here in their spare time for fun and the love of the game, more serious than the guy who makes $20,000 a year writing for the friggin Beaver County Times.

From the article:

"Soething is bothering Roethlisberger. Perhaps it's just a lack of confidence. But he's clearly not the QB he was his first two years in the league."

Perhaps you should be delivering papers instead of writing articles for them.
LarryNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 04:46 AM   #23
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDuke6 View Post
C'mon guys, Ben's a big boy. He can take it. You dont need to baby him. And he wont tuck tail and run just because a couple of fans boo him or a couple of jerks post blogs stating they think he stinks or blah....blah....blah...Take a pill....
Once again...

I dont want to be known as the team that hates our franchise qb's so much, they leave and don't come back for 20 years.

And no... I don't blame Bradshaw. I blame the Steeler fanbase.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 07:06 AM   #24
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

And no... I don't blame Bradshaw. I blame the Steeler fanbase.
[Richard Dawson]
"Survey says.....

NUMBER ONE ANSWER on the board, Darlin' !!!"

[/Richard Dawson]
Old 12-27-2006, 03:37 PM   #25
SteelerMurf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2064

There are as many games lost due to bad defensive play or bad offensive line play as the games that Ben lost.

Ben had a bad year but so did so many other players.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:41 PM   #26
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xSBChamps View Post
[Richard Dawson]
"Survey says.....

NUMBER ONE ANSWER on the board, Darlin' !!!"

[/Richard Dawson]

Wow.. I got the number one answer! PLAY PLAY... I think we will PLAY!!!!
Old 12-27-2006, 04:01 PM   #27
hardwork
Banned

Member Number: 342

Cowher indicated what the problem was after the first game when he said something like this, "This team has a swagger to it but hasn't done anything to swagger about yet."

You can't start out in 5th gear. You'll stall every time.
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 06:01 PM   #28
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwork View Post
Cowher indicated what the problem was after the first game when he said something like this, "This team has a swagger to it but hasn't done anything to swagger about yet."

Dang if there isn't truth to that...

We forgot were we come from.

I knew we were in trouble when Cowher reinstated Movie day in training camp!
Old 12-27-2006, 06:13 PM   #29
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwork View Post
I recall in early-October of 1976, after starting-out @ 1-4 after winning 2 striaght Super Bowls, 'somebody' (maybe Noll-himself? ) said:
"It's hard to be hungry..... when you've got a ham on your back....."
Old 12-27-2006, 06:23 PM   #30
brind666
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 3120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillers#1 View Post
Roethlisberger's ego and Cowher's decisions led to 7-8 record
Mike Bires, Times Sports Staff
12/26/2006

The Times / Clif Page

PITTSBURGH - On the day before Christmas, Ben Roethlisberger experienced one of the lowest days in his three-year pro career.

On a few occasions, he heard boos from the home crowd.

Then after he was mercifully yanked from another brutal beating at the hands of the new champs in the AFC North, he heard "Charlie! Charlie! Charlie!" chants echoing throughout Heinz Field.

After two glorious seasons, the honeymoon is over for the face of the franchise.

Granted, not all fans who watched the Steelers lose Sunday to the Baltimore Ravens, 31-7, vented their frustrations by booing Roethlisberger and cheering backup Charlie Batch. But just the fact that the quarterback who led the Steelers to Super Bowl glory less than a year ago would be jeered speaks volumes of how much his star has dimmed.

Steelers fans may be fickle. But they aren't dumb. They know - just as well as any Steeler player, coach or executive knows - that the young man who wears No. 7 has been the team's biggest problem this year.

A Super Bowl hangover, the retirement of Jerome Bettis, a tough schedule and a lackluster job by coach Bill Cowher and his assistants have contributed to the demise of the 2005 Super Bowl champs. But nothing was more detrimental to the Steelers' 7-8 slide than Roethlisberger.

By throwing two more interceptions Sunday, Roethlisberger has 22 this season, two more than he had in 2004 and '05 combined. As a rookie he went 13-0 as a starter and set a team record with a 98.1 passer rating. Last year he was 9-3 as a starter and became the youngest QB to win a Super Bowl. He reset the team record with a 98.6 rating.

Going into Sunday's finale in Cincinnati, he's 6-8 as a starter, and his rating has dipped 20 points from last year to 74.0.

The problem at QB stem from Roethlisberger's health issues, poor decisions by Cowher on the use of his quarterbacks, and Roethlisberger's immaturity and ego.

Obviously, Roethlisberger has no control over health issues that threw his life into a spin. It's not his fault a woman drove her car into the path of his motorcycle in June, nearly killing him. It's not his fault an appendectomy prevented him from playing in the season opener. It's not his fault he was knocked out with a concussion in an Oct. 22 loss in Atlanta.

But Roethlisberger does deserve blame for letting his ego get in the way of the best interests of the team. The week after the Miami game in which Batch handled the offense with ease, Roethlisberger basically begged Cowher to let him play in the next game in Jacksonville. The week of the Oakland game, it was more of the same.

Roethlisberger shouldn't have hurried back and allowed Batch to win a game or two. The Steelers are 3-0 in games Batch started the past two years.

Cowher erred by playing Roethlisberger in a 9-0 loss in Jacksonville and a 20-13 loss in Oakland. He hardly played him in the preseason and Cowher shouldn't have played him in Jacksonville. He wasn't ready. His performance - 46.2 completion percentage, two interceptions, 38.7 passer rating - did nothing to help Roethlisberger regain confidence.

The decision to play Roethlisberger in Oakland was one of the most glaring bonehead mistakes of the Cowher era.

To lose to a 2-13 Raiders team was inexcusable. Roethlisberger threw four interceptions, two that were returned for TDs. Batch should have played and would have won that day.

Soething is bothering Roethlisberger. Perhaps it's just a lack of confidence. But he's clearly not the QB he was his first two years in the league.

After Sunday's loss eliminated the Steelers, Roethlisberger admitted he's already looking forward to next year. He said he wants to spend extra time practicing with his wide receivers to develop better chemistry.

The best thing that could happen for Roethlisberger is for this season to end as quickly as possible. He should get away from football for awhile and try to rejuvenate himself physically, mentally and spiritually.

The faster he puts the nightmare of 2006 behind him the better off he and the Steelers will be.

Mike Bires can be reached online at mbires@timesonline.com

?Beaver County Times Allegheny Times 2006
RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

REMEMBER MY POST EARLIER ON.... "ben is a selfish moron who wants to play regardless" ????? i am glad some knows whats is all about....
brind666 is offline   Reply With Quote