Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 12-26-2006, 03:12 PM   #1
Man_Of_Steel
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 1036
Arrow I'm Not Liking Joey Porter

He is one of the most overrated players on this team. He is all talk, he talks trash constantly and hardly backs it up, especially the pregame BS on the field with the opposing team. I mean come on, show just a little class. I don't see how the harping in pregame warmups helps this team. All he can do now is trash talk, he has nothing to back it up with any more. He shows flashes, then disappears for a few games. And the poke in the eye to Jamal Lewis was classless.

I hope the Steelers see him for what he is, a dirty player. No place for him on this team. Please let him go. You can do better.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:20 PM   #2
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302
Default Re: I'm Not Liking Joey Porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man_Of_Steel View Post
He is one of the most overrated players on this team. He is all talk, he talks trash constantly and hardly backs it up, especially the pregame BS on the field with the opposing team. I mean come on, show just a little class. I don't see how the harping in pregame warmups helps this team. All he can do now is trash talk, he has nothing to back it up with any more. He shows flashes, then disappears for a few games. And the poke in the eye to Jamal Lewis was classless.

I hope the Steelers see him for what he is, a dirty player. No place for him on this team. Please let him go. You can do better.
He didnt have the greatest of seasons I admit. But he is a great player, and great players get double teamed, and everyone is looking for him each and every snap. I`m sure opposing offenses are lineing up and call out who has #55. His biggest problem to me is they other side, Haggans was also nonexistance for much of the season, so they could key on #55 more. Joey needs support to be able to freestyle and get to the quarterback he didnt have that luxury this season.

As far as his theatrics go, it gets me pumped up, I consider him a great asset for that, this week he did go to far, he deserve the right to retaliate, but went about the wrong way, he couldnt get a descent hit so he took the cheap shot.

Joey is the modern day Jack Lambert, Mean Joe Greene, Dennis "Dirt" Winston, Greg Llyodd etc. This is Steelers football, hard nose , smash mouth football, nothing has changed. Our biggest problem is we all have a changing of the guard at linebacker with attitude, we have nobody right now waiting in the wings!
Old 12-26-2006, 04:01 PM   #3
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

Joey's the man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines Ward
What are you going to say, I was too rough?
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 04:17 PM   #4
MJ5150
Starter

Member Number: 3203

I have mixed emotions on Joey. I love him to death. He plays every game without complaining about being hurt or sitting out with small injuries. I don't see him taking plays off, or "stealing a check" as many other NFL players do. I could be wrong, since my affection for him can sometimes cloud my clear judgement.

I am also concerned about the lack or production this season. Because I love him like a brother, I think it is because teams are game planning for him all week. He has become a target of blocking tight ends and big offensive linemen, sometimes more than one.

Part of me is afraid he will not be around next season. I'm not so sure I am ready to accept that.

-Mike
MJ5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 04:24 PM   #5
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,944 Times in 1,842 Posts

Love the guy, but I dont think he's going to stay if he doesnt get the $$$ he wants. And I doubt the Rooney's are going to pay him that much. IMO

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 04:41 PM   #6
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

IMO, Joey will not get the money he's been hinting that he deserves. He will play out his last year and that will be that. Not saying he will, but if he bitches, cut him. That may sound cold but do we really need to hear Porter complaining about his contract after what occured this season? I don't think so. Contract distractions are the last thing we need.

I've said it before, I love Porter's emotion but the guy is getting up there in age and his play is starting to reflect that fact. I'm not willing to dish out big money to a guy who is pretty much on his last leg. Look to Kirkland, Lloyd and Green for examples.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 12-26-2006 at 04:45 PM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 05:29 PM   #7
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

***** NOTE *****

Let me begin by saying that I didn't get to see the game against the Ratbirds here in Florida, so I am not up-to-speed on Porter's last bit of shenanigans:
I understand that Jamal Lewis ran him over, and a few plays later, during an ensuing pile-up, Porter roughed-him-up/poked his eye/grasped his face-mask, etc.....

Many of today's younger fans see nothing wrong with 'thuggery-as-motivation', but I believe many experienced football fans see it as what it is:
childish horse-sh!t that has no-place in today's game, and should be dealt-with swiftly-and-severely by the on-field officials, resulting in being kicked-out of the game, and forced to leave the field.

Today's players are well-paid, highly-trained athletes, and they should display at-least SOME decorum & class when on the playing field:
players before them, like Joe Greene, Bubba Smith, Deacon Jones, Mike Curtis, Jack Lambert, Dick Butkus and Mike Singletary motivates their teams by playing AT the line determining fair and foul-play, but these guys today discredit themselves, and the game, when they can't keep their composure, and cross the line into 'street-thug' territory.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:35 PM   #8
Stillers#1
Banned

Member Number: 1082

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4xSBChamps View Post
[B]Many of today's younger fans see nothing wrong with 'thuggery-as-motivation', but I believe many experienced football fans see it as what it is:
childish horse-sh!t that has no-place in today's game, and should be dealt-with swiftly-and-severely by the on-field officials, resulting in being kicked-out of the game, and forced to leave the field.
While I agree with you (even as a younger fan) I think you're just longing for the good ole' days (as am I) when players showed up and played.

The problem is, is this is TODAYS GAME. The game you are talking about, and wanting to see guys like Peezy represent, is yesterdays game.

Like I said, I am in the same boat as you, but like some famous guy said, "The times, they are a'changing".
Stillers#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 05:41 PM   #9
4xSBChamps
Head Coach

Member Number: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillers#1 View Post
..... like I said, I am in the same boat as you, but like some famous guy said, "The times, they are a'changing".
..... which probably explains why I don't make a big-effort to watch every game as I did in my youth:
Talk-is-cheap, STFU-and dance!!!!!

Old 12-26-2006, 05:45 PM   #10
Stillers#1
Banned

Member Number: 1082

I agree, but it's how thses guys get pumped up to play. The are professional atheletes, so it must work for them somehow.
Stillers#1 is offline   Reply With Quote