Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 12-26-2006, 11:07 PM   #1
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009
Default Bob Smizik: Parker is not the Steelers' No. 1 problem

Bob Smizik: Parker is not the Steelers' No. 1 problem
Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

An abundance of criticism has been directed at the Steelers this season, and understandably so considering their 7-8 record after winning the Super Bowl.

Somewhat strangely, though, that criticism has come to include the running back position. It's strange because running back would appear to be one of the team's strengths. Willie Parker is in his second year as a starter. He has run for 1,360 yards, the fourth-best season in Steelers history. If he runs for 72 yards Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals, he'll own the third-best season in franchise history. What's more, he is sixth in the NFL in rushing and third in the AFC.

What's not to like about that?

It's the feast-or-famine approach that Parker brings to the Steelers' offense that spurs criticism. One week, he's running for 213 yards, the next week for 46. He has had two 200-yard games, one in which he set the team's all-time record. But he also has had games of 20, 26 and 49 yards. He doesn't consistently move the sticks like his predecessor, Jerome Bettis, did.

It is this lack of consistency, that his critics -- and this column has been one of them -- insist is Parker's drawback and, because he plays for a team that keys its success on controlling the ball, his downfall.

Here are some other numbers that might prove interesting in this discussion: 134, 8, 133, 39, 128, 42. Those figures represent the best and worst games for Bettis in 2000, his last great season with the Steelers.

Inconsistency does not belong solely to Parker.

That's not to say he is a Bettis is terms of consistency. He is not. It is to show few backs continually churn out one good game after another.

Bill Cowher, who may or may not be determining who will be the Steelers' lead running back in 2007, has no problem with Parker. Asked at his news conference yesterday about whether Parker's style fit the ball-control offense he has long adhered to, Cowher said, "I think he's a good back. I don't know if there's a prototype back you need for this offense. I don't look at that as being the issue. If you're going to look at this year and reflect, it still comes back to turning the ball over."

The main argument in favor of Parker continuing as the Steelers' lead runner is -- duh! -- they won the Super Bowl with him in that role.

Sure, Bettis was there to help. But Bettis' role in the Steelers' 2006 season is somewhat overrated. Yes, he was a big contributor, but nowhere near what Parker was. Parker ran for 1,202 yards, Bettis for 368. Much of Bettis' yardage came in the second half when he was on the field as the power back who could consistently move the sticks. It was Parker who was on the field most of the time in the first half when the Steelers were assuming those leads they could protect with conservative play in the second half.

One of the positives that Bettis brought to the team was the ability to spell Parker at various points in the game. Parker carried 255 times last season. He already has run 300 times this season. Najeh Davenport has performed adequately as Parker's backup, but he is not Bettis and not the answer in 2007.

"You do need to monitor him [Parker]," Cowher said, "and I think we were able to do that somewhat this season.''

But not enough. Parker is 5 feet 10, 209 pounds, and it's asking a lot of him to carry 300 times in a season. The only backs in Steelers history to do that are Bettis (four times), Franco Harris (twice), and Barry Foster (once). All were considerably bigger than Parker.

Parker's carries need to be reduced, which makes finding a suitable backup an offseason priority. The Steelers thought they had such a player in Duce Staley, but Cowher and his staff misjudged his ability. He showed in training camp he could not handle the job, and Davenport was brought in after the first game. Generally speaking, players available at that point in the season are not ideal replacements.

"I do believe you need more than one back in this business if you're going to run the football and do it through a 16-game schedule," Cowher said.

Bettis was the model guy in support of Parker. He was a future Hall of Famer, but one who was willing to accept a subordinate role at the end of his career. Finding someone so ideally suited to back up Parker will be extremely difficult, if not impossible.

If such a player can't be found, the Steelers will have to struggle along with a fourth-year running back who already is one of the best in franchise history and a key performer in their Super Bowl season. Clearly, this team has larger problems than at running back.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06361/749138-194.stm
Old 12-27-2006, 12:31 AM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: Bob Smizik: Parker is not the Steelers' No. 1 problem

A sportscaster that makes sense?

Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 01:03 AM   #3
MJ5150
Starter

Member Number: 3203

OK, all of the folks who think Willie is the problem get in line. That way, I can bop you all in the head at once!!

-Mike
MJ5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 02:42 AM   #4
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

I don't know what this guy has to do. I mean...i guess he should be knocking down guys twice his size and passing as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines Ward
What are you going to say, I was too rough?
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 04:58 AM   #5
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by klick81 View Post
I don't know what this guy has to do. I mean...i guess he should be knocking down guys twice his size and passing as well.
No silly rabbit... that is Bens job!

Oh wait... and blocking and running too. Cause after all, this season is all Ben's fault.

did you know he ran back kickoffs and was a DB too?
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:05 AM   #6
MJ5150
Starter

Member Number: 3203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
did you know he ran back kickoffs and was a DB too?
As soon as Cowher gets out of here, let's make Willie the coach.

I think he would be the first player/coach in the modern era of football.

-Mike
MJ5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:24 AM   #7
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

No, Coaching is Ben's job!
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:57 AM   #8
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
No, Coaching is Ben's job!
Well..if the truth is told...Willie was directly involved in Bens accident and should have done more to prevent Bens appendectomy
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 08:03 AM   #9
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

It's the feast-or-famine approach that Parker brings to the Steelers' offense that spurs criticism. One week, he's running for 213 yards, the next week for 46.

Wasn`t that our entire teams problem this season? It was feast or famine all year! In Parkers defense, he didnt run well at times, like against the ratbirds twice, but tose same games our defense couldnt stop anybody either. Some of his "famine" games we were playing catch up from the open whistle, so that takes our running game out of the picture anyway!
Old 12-27-2006, 09:00 AM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,226 Times in 2,678 Posts

Quote:
That's not to say he is a Bettis is terms of consistency. He is not. It is to show few backs continually churn out one good game after another.
ive been saying this for 2 seasons now. out of all backs drafted in the last 5 years i think i would only trade willie for l. johnson and s. jackson. maybe 1 or 2 more (like r. bush) but no one else really jumps out.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote