Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS
View Poll Results: Cowher back?
yes 30 38.46%
no 48 61.54%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-26-2006, 08:54 PM   #21
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344
Default Re: Sorry HTG..

Well, everything's up in the air right now.
Sure, Cowher had some different looks this season, but he has had one face throughout, a poker face. No matter what the media asked, he always never gave a direct answer to his future. I hope we know by next week, this whole Cowher thing is stressful. I mean, the guy has been here for as long as I can remember.

~Polamalufan43
Old 12-26-2006, 09:00 PM   #22
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
I dont understand while people would be surprised if he left. He's had that look on his face all year.
What look D - a look of sheer frustration? I've had that same look and I'm not going anywhere.

To reiterate - I believe The Chin will stick around because....

-----He's too proud of a coach and a man to go out on a .500 (or less) season;

-----He's an honorable sort of guy - I just can't see this man leaving the Rooneys and this group of guys he loves like family in the lurch.

We'll see next week - right now - only the Shadow knows.......muahahahaha.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:04 PM   #23
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

your so bad HTG. lol.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:05 PM   #24
polamalufan43
Team President

Location: Where the streets are paved in black and gold stones
Member Number: 3344

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
What look D - a look of sheer frustration? I've had that same look and I'm not going anywhere.

To reiterate - I believe The Chin will stick around because....

-----He's too proud of a coach and a man to go out on a .500 (or less) season;

-----He's an honorable sort of guy - I just can't see this man leaving the Rooneys and this group of guys he loves like family in the lurch.

We'll see next week - right now - only the Shadow knows.......muahahahaha.
These are good reasons that he might. However, at this point, only Cowher/the Rooney's know.

~Polamalufan43
Old 12-26-2006, 09:22 PM   #25
TasmanianTroy271
Team Captain

Member Number: 544
Default Re: I hate to speculate on Cowher but.....

Well, I was talking to my dad about this the other day, and I mentioned how Whisenhunt and Grimm were both being looked at for HC positions in other teams in the NFL, and he said how Chuck Noll had a whole bunch of great assistants when we went out and signed Cowher. just something to think about
Old 12-26-2006, 09:24 PM   #26
Man_Of_Steel
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 1036

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks View Post
After his interview today, I say he will not be our coach this time next week. If he goes to cleveland in a year or two I will hate him forever
I would see him going to a large market team that can pay him the mega money he wants..
Old 12-26-2006, 09:27 PM   #27
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
your so bad HTG. lol.
I know I am (sometimes).

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 10:01 PM   #28
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,137 Times in 2,640 Posts

i was wondering if cowher is more inclined to stay if both whiz and grimm leave OR if hes more inclined to leave if they stay.

or do they even have any bearing on what he wants to do?
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 10:07 PM   #29
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i was wondering if cowher is more inclined to stay if both whiz and grimm leave OR if hes more inclined to leave if they stay.

or do they even have any bearing on what he wants to do?
IMO, I don't think Grimm or Whiz have anything to do with Cowher's decision. I think feeling burned out and being away from his family are the two deciding factors. Just my opinion.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:30 PM   #30
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698

My guess....Cowher will retire.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Cowher out?
Steelers coach to announce future plans next week

PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Bill Cowher apparently won't make anyone wait to learn if he will return as the Pittsburgh Steelers' coach next season.

Cowher is expected to announce his future plans within a few days of Sunday's season-ending game at Cincinnati, one that is without playoff implications for the no-longer-defending Super Bowl champion Steelers (7-8).
"That's for next week," Cowher said Tuesday when asked if he would return next season. "We'll talk about that next week. It won't go long. I'm not sure what the time frame is. But I think the most important thing is to be focused on this game."

That he appears ready to announce his decision quickly could be a sign the Steelers may soon be looking for a new coach for only the second time since 1969. Chuck Noll (1969-91) and Cowher (1992-present) have been their only coaches since then.

If Cowher decides to retire -- if only briefly -- and not finish out a contract that expires after the 2007 season, the Steelers want to begin searching for a new coach as soon as possible since three or four other NFL teams also could be in the market for a coach.

Two Steelers assistants, offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt and offensive line coach Russ Grimm, are seen as viable candidates _ even though the Steelers haven't promoted a coach from within since Mike Nixon in 1965. And he lasted only one season.

Several players, including Joey Porter, said recently they expect Cowher to return for a 16th season. Only last week, Cowher laughed at suggestions that he is tired of coaching at age 49, saying, "Do I look burned out?"

Cowher's tenure is the longest with his current team of any NFL coach, and a season or two away from the game watching his three daughters play basketball might increase Cowher's already-high market value.

Cowher is making $4 million-plus under his current contract, which he signed in 2004. If he were to sign a new deal with the Steelers, he likely would make in the $5.5 million-$6 million range.

But Cowher -- who would be a highly attractive candidate for any NFL owner desperate to win quickly -- conceivably could make more on the open market, perhaps even more than Mike Holmgren's estimated $8 million with Seattle.

When Cowher signed his latest Steelers extension in 2004, he emphasized money wasn't a motivating factor.

"You couldn't have a better job," he said. "It's not about the market or the money, it's about the winning."

Right now, it appears the market has become an issue.

Cowher's wife and youngest daughter moved to the family's new home in Raleigh, N.C., earlier this year, and Cowher made several trips there during the season. Being an absentee father no doubt doesn't appeal to Cowher, but an NFL coach's job has become all encompassing with offseason workouts, minicamps, coaching sessions and the draft.

The Steelers aren't interested in a part-time head coach, even one who has been as successful as Cowher.

Cowher declined Tuesday to discuss his situation in detail, saying the Steelers need to concentrate on beating the Bengals (8-7) and finishing at .500, even though a 31-7 loss to Baltimore on Sunday ended their playoff chances.

"Our goal is to go down there and get this taste out of our mouth and, more importantly, finish the season at 8-8," Cowher said. "We'll do that. Playing Cincinnati with a game like that, there's a lot at stake, just pride-wise. It's always been like that."

With the playoffs no longer a possibility, does it really make that much difference if the Steelers wind up 8-8 rather than 7-9?

"Finishing strong is very important because that's what you take into next year," Cowher said.

The Steelers also wouldn't mind ending Cincinnati's season, just as they did in the playoffs last January. The Bengals, who won in Pittsburgh 28-20 on Sept. 24, must win to retain any playoff hopes, though the Jets and Broncos can secure the two AFC wild-card spots by winning Sunday.

"Misery loves company," Cowher said. "And we're looking for company."

Right tackle Max Starks (knee) and safety Ryan Clark (groin) won't play Sunday and linebacker Clark Haggans is doubtful with an injured knee ligament.