Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS
View Poll Results: Cowher back?
yes 30 38.46%
no 48 61.54%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-09-2007, 06:53 PM   #451
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,400 Times in 2,932 Posts
Default Re: The Official Bill Cowher Retirement discussion thread

Interesting theory by Peter King on SI.com today (in response to a question on Cowher possibly replacing Coughlin) on how Cowher spends the next year until he starts coaching again in 2008:

Cowher cannot coach anywhere this year unless some team pays compensation to the Steelers, and he has no intention of doing that this year anyway. Your best hope, if you want Cowher to go to the Giants, would be to have Coughlin come back for one more year, then hire Cowher in 2008. But I think another team will beat the Giants to the punch, quite likely by making Cowher a consultant in 2007, and then its coach in '08 or '09.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200.../mmqbte/1.html

It's an intriguing theory, but how do you convince some HC to hang around for a year while Cowher hangs out in the front office? To get Cowher for 2008 you would almost be writing off 2007.

But 2 franchises with geezer coaches who probably will not last past 2007 are Washington and Dallas - might be argued in those cases the teams are just preparing for the inevitable need to find a replacement. This also gives Cowher cover to claim he will not mess up his lifetime goal of watching every basketball game his daughters play in 2007.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 01:13 AM   #452
Steel Pit
Banned

Member Number: 2140

It may take a year or longer but I think that when all is said and done a lot of us will be saying F#*K Cowher. This whole Cowher thing just doesn't pass the smell test.
Steel Pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:28 AM   #453
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Steelers' Coach Search: Hunt for Cowher's successor could end quickly
2 in-house candidates would keep the other, if possible; 4th interview is scheduled today

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers could choose Russ Grimm or Ken Whisenhunt to become their next head coach and, not only would they keep most of their coaching staff intact, the candidate not selected could return as well.

Grimm and Whisenhunt have told people privately that they would return as a Steelers assistant coach if they are not chosen as the team's head coach and if they are not hired elsewhere as a head coach.

Thus, if Grimm is hired as the Steelers' head coach, he could have Whisenhunt as his offensive coordinator -- with the possible additional title of assistant head coach, the same one Grimm has now as offensive line coach. And if Whisenhunt is promoted to Steelers head coach, Grimm could return in his same capacity.

Whisenhunt, who was interviewed by the Steelers yesterday, and Grimm, interviewed Monday, are the only members of the staff who are candidates for the job. The Steelers also interviewed Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera. They will interview Minnesota Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin today, perhaps the fourth and final candidate for the job. The club could name a head coach to succeed Bill Cowher before the end of the week.

"I was honored to have the opportunity and excited to be included in this group," Whisenhunt said yesterday after his three-hour interview with the Steelers.

Whisenhunt and Grimm also are candidates for the head-coaching job with the Arizona Cardinals, where Grimm interviewed yesterday. Whisenhunt also is a candidate in Miami.

"The organization, as I see it, is making all the right moves, and has one more to make," Grimm told the media in Arizona after his interview with the Cardinals. "We're still going to talk a little bit and take it from there."

Every assistant on the Steelers' coaching staff is under contract through the 2007 season. That means none can leave without the Steelers' permission unless it is to become a head coach elsewhere. Under previous NFL rules, a position coach could go to another team if it was for a promotion. The league has since abolished those rules; now an assistant can leave voluntarily only for three reasons: If his contract is up, if he receives permission from his team, or for a head-coaching job in the NFL.

Under the rules, Grimm or Whisenhunt can keep the entire Steelers coaching staff if he desires. If one gets the Steelers' job and the other is hired elsewhere, having those coaches under contract will be important to the new head coach here.

For example, both men would want to have Bruce Arians, the Steelers' wide receivers coach, as his offensive coordinator (provided Whisenhunt does not stay as coordinator under a Grimm coaching regime). Arians could not leave if the new Steelers coach wanted to promote him here.

A similar situation occurred in 2004 when Steelers offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey was hired as the Buffalo Bills' head coach. Mularkey wanted to hire Whisenhunt, then the Steelers' tight ends coach, as his offensive coordinator in Buffalo. Cowher, though, also wanted Whisenhunt as his coordinator. The Steelers would not let Whisenhunt, who was under contract, leave. Instead, they allowed Mularkey to take Tom Clements, their quarterbacks coach, with him as coordinator in Buffalo.

NOTES -- Ben Roethlisberger will join ESPN's "Sunday NFL Countdown" as a guest analyst from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. According to information provided by ESPN, Roethlisberger will discuss his season, Cowher's departure and help analyze the AFC playoff game between the New England Patriots and San Diego Chargers.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07010/752517-66.stm
Old 01-10-2007, 09:07 AM   #454
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,102 Times in 3,082 Posts

so what are some thoughts on making bruce arians offensive coordinator? is it scary that were not hiring minorities byt promoting an aryan? (bad joke)

anyways he held the position with the browns before coming to pittsburgh. i know thats not saying much but i think he put together the offense that allowed kelly holcomb torch us in the playoffs in 2002. honestly i cant remember if he came over in 01 or in 02, after the new browns lone playoff appearance. not sure if he was taken away from the browns or if he was fired with the palmer regime. i think he was fired and not retained by butch davis.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:08 AM   #455
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
so what are some thoughts on making bruce arians offensive coordinator? is it scary that were not hiring minorities byt promoting an aryan? (bad joke)

anyways he held the position with the browns before coming to pittsburgh. i know thats not saying much but i think he put together the offense that allowed kelly holcomb torch us in the playoffs in 2002. honestly i cant remember if he came over in 01 or in 02, after the new browns lone playoff appearance. not sure if he was taken away from the browns or if he was fired with the palmer regime. i think he was fired and not retained by butch davis.
didnt he suck as the browns offensive coordinator? and didnt he get canned?
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:16 AM   #456
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,102 Times in 3,082 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
didnt he suck as the browns offensive coordinator? and didnt he get canned?
like i said, if he can get the NEW browns to the playoffs and torch us for about 400 yds he cant be all that bad. after all we hired him, so with the rooneys history of scouting coaches he cant suck too much. the article states he is likely to replace whiz. but i do think he got canned with the entire palmer staff. just going offa memory here though, im definitely not a browns historian
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:18 AM   #457
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
like i said, if he can get the NEW browns to the playoffs and torch us for about 400 yds he cant be all that bad. after all we hired him, so with the rooneys history of scouting coaches he cant suck too much. the article states he is likely to replace whiz. but i do think he got canned with the entire palmer staff. just going offa memory here though, im definitely not a browns historian
If I remeber right the palmer firing wasnt really that fair. It was ownerships hard on for Butch Davis.I have a feeling that if whisenhunt doesnt get the steeler job he wont get any hc job at all. So everything would pretty much stay intact for next season
Old 01-12-2007, 10:21 AM   #458
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

interesting article
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ily/index.html
Old 01-12-2007, 01:59 PM   #459
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
Interesting indeed.

My thoughts are that I love Cowher as much as the next guy, but once he puts on another teams colors then it's all over. I will always respect what he meant and did for the Steelers, but we live and die with the Steelers not Bill Cowher. Good luck to him in whatever he does, but if he ends up in Washington I would want nothing more then to play them in SB XLII and put a good spanking on them.
Old 01-12-2007, 02:02 PM   #460
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustashark View Post
Interesting indeed.

My thoughts are that I love Cowher as much as the next guy, but once he puts on another teams colors then it's all over. I will always respect what he meant and did for the Steelers, but we live and die with the Steelers not Bill Cowher. Good luck to him in whatever he does, but if he ends up in Washington I would want nothing more then to play them in SB XLII and put a good spanking on them.
I agree. Just like in college. You have to love the organization not the coach.