Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 12-28-2006, 10:44 PM   #11
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Re: Painted Turf

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerbackr4life View Post
There are a number of conditions that contribute to the deteriating circumstances of the field. I think the number 1 factor has to be the amount of use it gets besides the Steelers and Upitt I also think that there are High School games played there.

I dont think the climate effects it as much as one would think. The field is actually climate controlled with an underground piping system that is supposed to stimulate growth of the turf in even the harhest of climates.

So assuming all of the groundskeeping staff and the climate control is functioning properly. The main factor to the fields deteriation would logicly have to be because of overusage.
They play the WPIAL Championships at Heinz Field.

The climate should have no effect on it. The Grass field we had at Hollidaysburg before the bozos put in the Gurf Turf was perfect. Not much use. One thing I don't get about it is why we even got it in the first place. We only had football and track meets at Tiger Stadium. We didn't need to go as far as replace our field. Yes it gets expensive to keep maintained, but we didn't need to go so far.

Bottom Line. The Rooney's are doing what is right. KEEPING HEINZ FIELD A GRASS FIELD. Football was built to be played on grass and NEEDS TO STICK TO IT'S GRASS ROOTS. We don't need the painted turf. We just needed to make sure that we watch how much the field gets used.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 10:55 PM   #12
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post

The climate should have no effect on it. The Grass field we had at Hollidaysburg before the bozos put in the Gurf Turf was perfect. Not much use. One thing I don't get about it is why we even got it in the first place. We only had football and track meets at Tiger Stadium. We didn't need to go as far as replace our field. Yes it gets expensive to keep maintained, but we didn't need to go so far.

Bottom Line. The Rooney's are doing what is right. KEEPING HEINZ FIELD A GRASS FIELD. Football was built to be played on grass and NEEDS TO STICK TO IT'S GRASS ROOTS. We don't need the painted turf. We just needed to make sure that we watch how much the field gets used.
YEP!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 11:23 PM   #13
nicesteel4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1775

GRASS! PERIOD! History of Football.... Just stop having the entire metro and tri-counties use it. There is many GREAT fields to use within 50 miles around for High School playoffs. It needs to rest between games.
Old 12-29-2006, 07:24 AM   #14
Buzz05
Team Captain

Member Number: 2482

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicesteel4life View Post
GRASS! PERIOD! History of Football.... Just stop having the entire metro and tri-counties use it. There is many GREAT fields to use within 50 miles around for High School playoffs. It needs to rest between games.
Agreed. If they wanna use a nice stadium for this stuff, what about Pine Richlands stadium. It cost a butt load to build, and I heard the Steelers modeled their own locker rooms after Pine Richlands ( Rumor, not sure if its true) but why not use that. Or what about the new Robert Morris stadium in Moon Twp. Thats pretty nice, my college played the opened game there against Bobby Mo and its a pretty nice stadium.

I agree with Steelcityman, the Hollidaysburg field was much better BEFORE they went artificial. I went to a game or 2 back in the day there and one last year to see my buddy coach a game. The natural was way better
Buzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 08:34 AM   #15
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post

With all due respect, after Halloween each year they are not playing on grass; they are playing on dirt except when it rains or snows, at which point they are playing in mud.

Today's artificial surfaces such as FieldTurf are far superior to the old TartanTurf/AstroTurf fields of the early 1970s and IMHO an improvement over what the Steelers currently play on. If only the Steelers played at Heinz the field might hold up, but with Pitt and the high schools using the field (which they have every right to do; the taxpayers paid to build Heinz) the grass field simply does not work.

Football used to be played on grass and dirt, but football also used to be played with leather helmets, without face masks, and with only white athletes. Times change.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 08:45 AM   #16
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

I vote for grass, I`m not worried about Pitt playing there, but all the high school games need to go to harrisburg, atleast that more central for the entire state, I never could figure out why we play in Pittsburgh anyway for the state champ
Old 12-29-2006, 08:50 AM   #17
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks View Post
I vote for grass, I`m not worried about Pitt playing there, but all the high school games need to go to harrisburg, atleast that more central for the entire state, I never could figure out why we play in Pittsburgh anyway for the state champ

The WPIAL championships are played there, not the state championships. The 4 high school games do not help, but Pitt playing there is another big factor.

Grass fields in the Northeast simply do not hold up in late fall/early winter (there are photos of championship games at Yankee Stadium in the late 50s/early 60s where it looks like they are playing on pavement) which is why they went to artificial fields in the 1970s.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:25 AM   #18
Texasfan
Draft Prospect
Supporter

Member Number: 2904

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Grass fields in the Northeast simply do not hold up in late fall/early winter (there are photos of championship games at Yankee Stadium in the late 50s/early 60s where it looks like they are playing on pavement) which is why they went to artificial fields in the 1970s.

While this might have been true in thte 60's and 70's, it shouldn't be a factor with todays technology. The field is just way over used.
Texasfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:29 AM   #19
Buzz05
Team Captain

Member Number: 2482

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks View Post
The State title games are played in Hershey, they used to be played in Altoona at Mansion Park but they moved to Hershey because it was a greater attraction. Pittsburgh just has the WPIAL Champ. I dont see teams from Central Pa playing in Beaver Stadium at Penn STate, and that is the shrine to all things football for most Pennsylvanians who are remotely close to it. All in all the field conditions need to improve some how, some way. If it means getting rid of the the WPIAL title games and moving them then so be it. If they can come up with a way to keep them and preserve the field along with Pitt still playing there. Then all the better.
Buzz05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 09:56 AM   #20
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
The WPIAL championships are played there, not the state championships. The 4 high school games do not help, but Pitt playing there is another big factor.

Thank You, I thought the championship games were played there now.