Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 12-29-2006, 11:05 AM   #21
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408
Default Re: Painted Turf

Sorry, but I think the highschool games are proper to be played at Heinz. Taxpayer's money was used to help finace its construction. If my memory serves, the use of the field for high school playoffs was one of the promises made to convince the public to support the plan.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 11:17 AM   #22
steelerbackr4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1931

Good point. But when that use becomes a hazard to all that play there. Should high school teams continue to be allowed to play there when there are adequate facilities elswhere ? It as not as if the Steelers could go play at another facility.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:25 AM   #23
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

True, but I think before they kick out the highschoolers they need to explore other opitions .... like field turf. As pointed to earlier, Pitt sharing Heinz probably has a bigger impact on the field conditions than the few highschool games. The field will probably still fall apart by the end of the season. Do they then consider throwing Pitt out as well?

Honestly, spend some money before you break your promise.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:28 AM   #24
BigDuke6
Banned

Member Number: 2238

I didnt think the turf was an issue anymore. I remember when Heinz Field opened it was brutal. But I assumed they fixed it.
BigDuke6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 11:33 AM   #25
steelerbackr4life
Team Captain
Supporter

It seems that artificial turf would be the only way to allow all the activities that currently take place there remain. How much money does it take to operate that huge facility for a smaller event when another would adequately suffice? In regards to this particular thread the general consensus is that everyone wants to see them play on grass. Taking that into consideration less use is the only solution.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:41 AM   #26
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Yes, I prefer grass as well. But, from what I read, the field turf seems to be a good compromise between grass and the old fashion artificial turf. Also, does that less use include kicking out Pitt? The field is still going to fall apart with Pitt sharing the facility. How is it fair to kick the kids out , when they only play a handful of games at Heinz?
Old 12-29-2006, 02:14 PM   #27
BigDuke6
Banned

Member Number: 2238

In addition, does anyone agree with me that those damn sterile, plastic domes (especially in Indy) do not do the game of football justice. I hate them.
I know I'm old school but football should be played on grass, in weather.
BigDuke6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 02:28 PM   #28
steelerbackr4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Assuming the natural turf is going to stay. We have already agreed the main factor to its deteriation is use.

In order to limit the use it would be neccesary to look at Heinz for what it is, a facility not just a field. Looking from this standpoint the Steelers and then Pitt are the priority tennants bringing in the most spectators generating the most income, demanding the need for more employees etc etc. That would leave all of the other affairs including h.s. games which generate substantially less revenue then the main 2 tennants.

I am not trying to advocate kicking the kids out but if the field is to remain grass that seems to be the only way to make it happen and keep it safe for the athletes that use it. If this is the measure that has to be taken and there are no other viable facilities then by all means the Rooneys should and probably would step up to provide such facilites for the kids. Lord knows their parents probably spend enough on NFL gear.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:31 PM   #29
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz05 View Post
Agreed. If they wanna use a nice stadium for this stuff, what about Pine Richlands stadium. It cost a butt load to build, and I heard the Steelers modeled their own locker rooms after Pine Richlands ( Rumor, not sure if its true) but why not use that. Or what about the new Robert Morris stadium in Moon Twp. Thats pretty nice, my college played the opened game there against Bobby Mo and its a pretty nice stadium.

I agree with Steelcityman, the Hollidaysburg field was much better BEFORE they went artificial. I went to a game or 2 back in the day there and one last year to see my buddy coach a game. The natural was way better
Hey Buzz, is it anyone on Hollidaysburg's Staff??? Also one more thing I find dumb is why we went ahead to install the turf AT BASE FUNDING. It's going to eventually comeback to be a project the school district picks up. Also since the turf has been installed in 2004, WE HAVE NOT HAD ONE SINGLE WINNING SEASON AT HOME. Our turf also gets beaten up because of the increased events. They include HAYFA(Hollidaysburg Area Youth Football Association), a majority of the soccer games, all Jr. High Football games. We practically took the identity of Altoona(yet their surface is much worse).

Pitt should be kicked out of Heinz Field. I know this may sound biased as a Penn State fan but they only fill maybe ONE THIRD of Heinz Field. The most they get is maybe WVU?(Correct me if I'm wrong whoever is a Pitt fan here.) If Pitt wants to have a full stadium, they need to get their own on campus. The taxpayers shouldn't force the Steelers to share Heinz Field. Now if Heinz Field was going to be like a make shift field to Pitt(say some structure problems happend) then fine.

Anyway back on to Painted Turf, the Steelers don't need it as I have said. It never hurts to be different. The Rooney's know what Football was meant for. It was made for Grass. I don't care how torn up it gets, heck if they have to play in compete mud, then fine, get the jerseys dirty.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 02:33 PM   #30
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDuke6 View Post
In addition, does anyone agree with me that those damn sterile, plastic domes (especially in Indy) do not do the game of football justice. I hate them.
I know I'm old school but football should be played on grass, in weather.
I hate domes to. Leave the indoor football playing to the ARENA FOOTBALL LEAGUE and the other indoor leagues of america.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote