Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 12-29-2006, 10:03 AM   #1
Steel12
Banned

Member Number: 2397
Default NBA vs. NHL and MLB

Why is it a big deal when there are fights in the NBA? Hockey is pretty much based off of fights and there is a fight in almost every game. Baseball has at least 5 bench clearing brawls every year. It's funny how people see the NBA as the thug league but fights are a rare occurence. But the majority white sports aren't seen as thug leagues. How is it ok to charge the mound with a bat or throw a ball 95 mph at somebody? How is it ok to drop your gloves every time somebody pisses you off in the rink? How is it NOT ok when NBA players get upset when somebody fouls them too hard? David Stern is killing the NBA with dress codes, age limits and this new "no whining" rule. The Malice in the Palace had a part to play in that but you see it all the time in other sports. Basketball is the only sport to get a bad rap (no pun intended) from fighting. Why is that? Opinions? Thoughts?
Steel12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 12:30 PM   #2
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: NBA vs. NHL and MLB

Image is everything, man. If you don't want the NBA to be held to a different standard, then call for a change of their "thug life" image. And fighting is NOT a rare occurrence in the NBA - there's at least one major brawl every year, along with other incidents where punches are thrown. I for one am glad that David Stern is enforcing the age limits and instilling a dress code and trying to do something about the league's image. I mean, how dare he make professionals look like professionals? Bad, bad David Stern!

And if you've ever watched an NHL game, you would know that they do not fight anywhere near as much as they used to, so that argument does not hold water.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:16 PM   #3
Steel12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Image is everything, man. If you don't want the NBA to be held to a different standard, then call for a change of their "thug life" image. And fighting is NOT a rare occurrence in the NBA - there's at least one major brawl every year, along with other incidents where punches are thrown. I for one am glad that David Stern is enforcing the age limits and instilling a dress code and trying to do something about the league's image. I mean, how dare he make professionals look like professionals? Bad, bad David Stern!

And if you've ever watched an NHL game, you would know that they do not fight anywhere near as much as they used to, so that argument does not hold water.
What is your definition of a thug? Every sport has arrests and fights but the NBA is the only sport that has that label. One major brawl every year? Before the Pistons/Pacers brawl (which was instigated by that idiot fan), when was the last brawl?!? Don't worry, I'll wait (c) Katt Williams. Punches are thrown in every sport...again...how is the NBA different? So you think an age limit is fair in basketball but not baseball and hockey? What other sport has a dress code...not team...but sport!!! Name another sport where professional athletes look like businessmen! The NBA is a hip-hop league and David Stern is trying to downplay that image because it doesn't appeal to the business world. There is nothing wrong with the image of the NBA. Some people just can't hadle the fact that black people are dominating that sport and will do/say anything to tear them down.

I don't watch hockey but I watch Sportscenter enough to see that fights happen way more often than not.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:56 PM   #4
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel12 View Post
What is your definition of a thug? Every sport has arrests and fights but the NBA is the only sport that has that label. One major brawl every year? Before the Pistons/Pacers brawl (which was instigated by that idiot fan), when was the last brawl?!? Don't worry, I'll wait (c) Katt Williams. Punches are thrown in every sport...again...how is the NBA different? So you think an age limit is fair in basketball but not baseball and hockey? What other sport has a dress code...not team...but sport!!! Name another sport where professional athletes look like businessmen! The NBA is a hip-hop league and David Stern is trying to downplay that image because it doesn't appeal to the business world. There is nothing wrong with the image of the NBA. Some people just can't hadle the fact that black people are dominating that sport and will do/say anything to tear them down.

I don't watch hockey but I watch Sportscenter enough to see that fights happen way more often than not.
OK, first of all, I am black and grew up in the hood. So I have a pretty damn good idea of what a thug is. And if you really think that hip hop culture isn't linked with "thug culture," then I don't know what else to tell you. Don't want a dress code? Then don't dress like common street thugs when you come to work. Simple as that. I know if I'm a business owner (and the last time I checked, the NBA is a business) and I see my employees coming to work dressed like that, I would not be happy about it one bit and would make sure something gets done about it. The NHL has had a dress code for years - have you ever heard any of them bitching about it? The WWE also has a dress code, believe it or not, but of course, that isn't a legitimate "sport." Both MLB and the NFL have codes of conduct that are strictly enforced, right down to what is deemed acceptable attire whenever you are making public appearances or are appearing before the media, though they have no explicit "dress code" that I am aware of. Why? Because they CARE about their image, something the NBA never did up until now. The bottom line is that it isn't anyone's fault but their own for the image that the league has. And now that Stern wants to do something about it, we have people like you crying foul...thus adding to the image and the stereotype.

No, honestly, I do not think an age limit is fair - if you're 18 and want to be a pro athlete, you should be allowed to. However, once you become a PROFESSIONAL, you should be expected to look and act like one, both on and off the court. Why is that such a problem?

As far as the brawls go, I've watched enough basketball over the years to know that brawls and fights happen quite often, especially in the playoffs. I'll concede that there may not be one every year, but they happen far more often than you are letting on.

Last edited by X-Terminator; 12-29-2006 at 05:08 PM.
X-Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 08:57 PM   #5
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

I agree x-terminator.

If you are a professional, YOU SHOULD ACT LIKE ONE.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 10:37 PM   #6
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

I have had parts of the conversation before... but let me say it again here.

Here is why fighting is okay in Baseball and Hockey, and not in football and basketball...
Baseball and hockey are "self regulated sports" Football and basketball are not. Let me explain.

1. Fighting is an integral part of hockey, and has been since the first game... literally. The very first (official) hockey game every played was cut short because of a fight.

2. Fighting in hockey is part of the strategy of the game. If a team gets up by too many goals, fights breakout because the losing team is actually playing mindgames with them. The strategy behind this comes from 30 years ago when there were fewer teams in the league. The message sent was, you may beat us on the board tonight... but you will remember us through next week. As a result, next time they met, the team would remember how much it hurt to play the team (remember, that is almost the same idea of "Steeler Football... though by hitting hard. Not fighting).

3. When it comes to self-regulation, hockey moves SO FAST that a ref will only see 20/30 percent at the most. In baseball, Umps miss cleat up slides, running hard into players, etc. the bean ball in baseball is the self-regulation. You do this to us.. and we will protect our own. Hockey has fighting in the same way. A big guy hits a small guy... someone cheapshots someone else... Fighting is the way to come face to face with the person responsible.

4. There are unwritten rules hockey for fighting. You square up.. face the guy, drop the gloves, fight. Only certain people can or do fight. You also only swing at the head... no body shots. If a person falls backwards onto the ice.. the fight is over... however, if a person turtles... you keep hitting tell the ref pulls you off. WHen the ref actually pulls you off, you stop throwing punches. Oh yeah... and when you do something that DESERVES A BEATING by the other teams enforcer... you face up to it and fight. In baseball, it is somewhat the same way. No bean balls to the head, no bean balls at the knees... etc. (why do you think the ball to the head by the Rocket was SUCH a big deal... it violated unwritten rules).

5. There are no such rules, self-regulation, or history in Basketball. Thus, fighting is a foreign element to the game. When fights do break out, they are completely out of hand. it actually lookes like a ___ fight (include your own adjective, bar, gang, dog, etc).

6. In hockey (not even as much baseball), what happens on the ice is LEFT ON THE ICE. Furthermore, except for a bit of drinking and bar problems once in a while, there are VERY FEW PROBLEMS with hockey players off the ice compared to other sports... same with baseball.

7. Most hockey players are found on the golf course in the summer. that usually does NOT lend itself to an overall impression of being a thug! Baseball players usually spend the summer here and the winter playing ball in winter leagues.. until they are mature enough to make right decisions (not purposefully done this way, but it works).

8. Last, basketball is the ONLY sport where the fans are not seperated from the fans by a wall. When there are fights in basketball... it has seemed to move into the fans quickly. When that happens, and if the fans get involved, you are looking at a whole different issue.

That is why fighting in basketball...and football to a bit lessor degree, is way worse then in hockey and baseball.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 12:17 PM   #7
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityMan786 View Post
I agree x-terminator.

If you are a professional, YOU SHOULD ACT LIKE ONE.
I have to agee as well. There is a reason the nfl is so big and popular and continues to grow and basketball has been on a steady decline for years now. Perception is everything. The nfl is a buisness that is ran like no other. I think the problem with the nba is they sell there players not the league. So when you have big name guys like Allen Iverson and Carmelo Anthony making asses out of themselves it's going to make the whole league look bad
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 12:46 PM   #8
skidboot
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3704

now thats fighting!

that "thing" they did a couple of weeks ago in Basketball was a joke.

Basketball IMO is known as a "thug" league for what some of the players do OFF the court.

Too bad they have to paint everyone with the same brush as I'm sure there are tons of real outstanding people who play that game.

A couple of bad apples ruin it for everyone.......Too bad.

The NFL is a Teflon League.

MLB fights are hilarious.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:36 PM   #9
Steel12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
OK, first of all, I am black and grew up in the hood. So I have a pretty damn good idea of what a thug is. And if you really think that hip hop culture isn't linked with "thug culture," then I don't know what else to tell you. Don't want a dress code? Then don't dress like common street thugs when you come to work. Simple as that. I know if I'm a business owner (and the last time I checked, the NBA is a business) and I see my employees coming to work dressed like that, I would not be happy about it one bit and would make sure something gets done about it. The NHL has had a dress code for years - have you ever heard any of them bitching about it? The WWE also has a dress code, believe it or not, but of course, that isn't a legitimate "sport." Both MLB and the NFL have codes of conduct that are strictly enforced, right down to what is deemed acceptable attire whenever you are making public appearances or are appearing before the media, though they have no explicit "dress code" that I am aware of. Why? Because they CARE about their image, something the NBA never did up until now. The bottom line is that it isn't anyone's fault but their own for the image that the league has. And now that Stern wants to do something about it, we have people like you crying foul...thus adding to the image and the stereotype.

No, honestly, I do not think an age limit is fair - if you're 18 and want to be a pro athlete, you should be allowed to. However, once you become a PROFESSIONAL, you should be expected to look and act like one, both on and off the court. Why is that such a problem?

As far as the brawls go, I've watched enough basketball over the years to know that brawls and fights happen quite often, especially in the playoffs. I'll concede that there may not be one every year, but they happen far more often than you are letting on.
People like me? GTFOH...you don't know me like that so don't address me like you do. We have different opinions, that's cool, but don't come at me sideways. Who made the NBA successful? The same so-called thugs you claim aren't acting prefessional or looking professional. Why would you come to a basketball game in a suit? You should dress for the profession that you're in. There are plenty of professionals that don't wear suits. I don't agree with that argument. What you wear ON the court should be addressed but ultimately, I think it should be up to the TEAM not Stern (who has had an agenda since the Detroit/Indiana game).

Fighting in the NBA is not a problem. It rarely happens to be a problem but they are considered thugs if they fight. EVERY sport has players that has problems on the field, court or rink and off of it. What are you not understanding?