Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-01-2007, 10:28 AM   #11
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302
Default Re: Lack of discipline almost cost us this one, too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
The Colon penalty was inexcusable, but the Farrior call is as much a reflection on the screwed up interpretation of the rules to protect the QBs at all costs as lack of discipline by Farrior - I admit this observation is based on my view Farrior is by far the most disciplined of the LBs.

That having been said, I agree the turnovers (don't forget Ben's decision to yet again throw it down the middle of the field for another INT) and penalties reflect a recurring lack of focus. All of us will be looking back fondly on Cowher's complete coaching record, but IMHO this season ranks with 1999 (another undisciplined team that almost got him fired) as Cowher's worst year of coaching.
This I can agree with totally, especially the lack of focus,
Old 01-01-2007, 10:28 AM   #12
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

[QUOTE=BlacknGold Bleeder;198885]A taunting penalty on an offensive lineman ?? WTF I have never heard of one being called like that, pure BS. With all the jawing that WRs, RBs, LBs, do to make a call like that is a punk move on the officials part!!

QUOTE]

I hear ya bleeder, but it was said Willie went out of his way to yack at the guy.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:31 AM   #13
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlacknGold Bleeder View Post
There was NOTHING dirty or cheap about that hit that a penalty should have been called for... WTF put a skirt on him,it's a contact sport!!!!
I agree, the rule shouldn't be what it is, and the hit wasn't dirty or cheap. But under the current rule it doesn't have to be dirty or cheap; it has to be unnecessary. It's a crappy rule. But the refs called it according to what the league told them to call. I didn't like it, and I agree that no one would have said anything if they HADN'T flagged it. But if Palmer had pulled the ball down, Farrior would have hit him anyhow and probably caused a fumble. It wasn't the HIT that was unnecessary, it was the intensity.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:38 AM   #14
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419

[QUOTE=BlacknGold Bleeder;198885]A taunting penalty on an offensive lineman ?? WTF I have never heard of one being called like that, pure BS. With all the jawing that WRs, RBs, LBs, do to make a call like that is a punk move on the officials part!!

QUOTE]

I hear ya bleeder, but it was said Willie went out of his way to yack at the guy.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 10:54 AM   #15
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
I agree, the rule shouldn't be what it is, and the hit wasn't dirty or cheap. But under the current rule it doesn't have to be dirty or cheap; it has to be unnecessary. It's a crappy rule. But the refs called it according to what the league told them to call. I didn't like it, and I agree that no one would have said anything if they HADN'T flagged it. But if Palmer had pulled the ball down, Farrior would have hit him anyhow and probably caused a fumble. It wasn't the HIT that was unnecessary, it was the intensity.

Tom
Correct interpretation or not, it was still a bullshit call, and a shining example of how the NFL has gone way too far to protect the QB. Why not just say that hitting the QB after he throws the ball is illegal? Because that is what that call is basically saying. This isn't flag football, it's the NFL, and it's allegedly a "man's game," is it not?
Old 01-01-2007, 11:13 AM   #16
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Bullshit rule, I agree. But you can't blame the refs for it. No one bitched here when they (correctly) called them close in the Super Bowl. They called what they were told to call.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:17 AM   #17
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

I agree Mosca. Rules are rules. I don't agree with the bubble they are putting around QB's these days, but it is what it is. I have a tough time thinking a good number of Steeler fans wouldn't be a little upset if the tables were turned and god forbid, Ben was the victim.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:25 AM   #18
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Well, if they are going to call the penalty close to protect Carson on the Farrior hit, then how about calling it close when Ben give himself up with a slide, and still gets thumped.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 11:35 AM   #19
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83-Steelers-43 View Post
I agree Mosca. Rules are rules. I don't agree with the bubble they are putting around QB's these days, but it is what it is. I have a tough time thinking a good number of Steeler fans wouldn't be a little upset if the tables were turned and god forbid, Ben was the victim.
Like when Ben got pancaked down near the goal line in the first Ravens game or concussed in the Atlanta game?

The Ravens hit was clean although the spirit of the screwed up rules should mean a flag should have been thrown since the blitzing Raven could have slowed up while still bringing Ben down; because concussions are caused by blows to the head it would seem the ATL hit was a blow to the head and should have been flagged.

I am not criticizing those calls. I am saying what does and does not get flagged in terms of QB hits is totally up for grabs these days. For that reason I am willing to cut Farrior some slack (while admitting if Foote or Porter did the same thing I would presume them to be guilty of a foul - reputations count for me).
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:00 PM   #20
imp-n-arn
Water Boy

Member Number: 2961

we won that one on a missed field goal and a won coin toss!

imp-n-arn is offline   Reply With Quote