Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-01-2007, 12:01 PM   #21
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751
Default Re: Lack of discipline almost cost us this one, too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Like when Ben got pancaked down near the goal line in the first Ravens game or concussed in the Atlanta game?

The Ravens hit was clean although the spirit of the screwed up rules should mean a flag should have been thrown since the blitzing Raven could have slowed up while still bringing Ben down; because concussions are caused by blows to the head it would seem the ATL hit was a blow to the head and should have been flagged.

I am not criticizing those calls. I am saying what does and does not get flagged in terms of QB hits is totally up for grabs these days. For that reason I am willing to cut Farrior some slack (while admitting if Foote or Porter did the same thing I would presume them to be guilty of a foul - reputations count for me).

Does it make sense that I can agree with you but still put it in a larger context of lack of discipline? I wouldn't have been surprised if the flag hadn't been thrown. And I would even say that that hit in the first quarter would be a good gamble, a hard smack with the possibility of a flag in order to set the tone. But in that situation it was a mistake to risk the flag, that is my point.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:11 PM   #22
Tankus_Maximus
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 519

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
Now that the thrill has settled a little bit, let's reflect a moment. Even to the last, lack of discipline was a problem this year.

A 15 yard taunting penalty for Willie Colon. Puts us from the 5 to the 20, and later on Parker fumbles at the 1... momentum killer. A 98 yard drive with no points. It actually turned that 98 yard drive into a 113 yard drive with no points.

A 15 yard roughing penalty on Farrior. It was going to be 2nd and 10, we had a chance to break the drive's momentum (after Palmer had completed 4 straight short passes). Sure, a couple years ago that play was OK. But now it's not, and he definitely drove the guy into the ground when he didn't have to. You could correctly argue that the Steelers have ALWAYS played this way... but you take that roughing penalty early in the game, not in the 4th quarter with the game on the line.

They won, but not before they tried not to.

Tom
All good points Mosca.

The play that chapped my ass was the Harrison to Chad Johnson "Chris Benoit Belly-to-back-suplex". While granted it was GREAT to see Panocha Cinco get suplexed like that..there's a time and place for everything, and that definitely wasn't the place.

The Farrior hit? Eh...I'm 50/50 on that..it was great, but he didn't really need to spear Caution into the ground. Again..it was great to see Caution get abused like that, that wasn't the time or the place.

"I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me." -Rorschach
Tankus_Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 12:18 PM   #23
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,276 Times in 2,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
Does it make sense that I can agree with you but still put it in a larger context of lack of discipline? I wouldn't have been surprised if the flag hadn't been thrown. And I would even say that that hit in the first quarter would be a good gamble, a hard smack with the possibility of a flag in order to set the tone. But in that situation it was a mistake to risk the flag, that is my point.

Tom

Oh it makes absolute sense for us to agree while disagreeing - I have been harping on lack of discipline since the Bengals loss in September but also have been ticked off about the coddling the QB rules all season.

I guess my point/distinction/rationalization is that I probably have a blind spot when it comes to Farrior not being a likely suspect for the lack of discipline problem, with one example being it was Porter rather than Farrior who got into trouble after Winslow took the cheap shot at Farrior.

So by way of explanation, while recognizing a contrary view is certainly justified, my point on the Farrior/Palmer flag is to blame it more upon my objection to screwed up/subjective/arbitray rules that protect the QB as opposed to my objection to the undisciplined 2006 edition of the Steelers that cost the team several games and a playoff berth.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote