Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-01-2007, 03:42 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,864 Times in 2,109 Posts
Default solomon wilcots addresses steelers current situation

listening to wilcots on "the afternoon blitz". solomon played for cowher in his 1st season as a steeler. he called the game on sunday, and spoke to cowher before the game on sat. and was in the locker room with the steelers after sundays win.

i hate to say but it seems that cowher is gone. he told soloman that the thing he would miss most is "coaching the guys".

he spoke to heath miller after the game and it seems that all the players are in favor of whiz as their new head coach.

lebeau wants to stay. and if pressed into it he would even coach the team for a year, although he is comfortable as the coordinator.

the players absolutely love their coaches and the coaches absolutely love their players. i cant believe there is talk about blowing this thing up because we went from SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS to an 8-8 team.

you know what? shit happens. of course the steelers should win the sb every year regardless of what they did the year before, because they are the best franchise out there. but unfortunately 1 team cant win it all every year. but if were gonna scrap the whole coaching staff, i say get rid of all the players too.

the whole team failed us as fans but you know what? i wont fail them, and i dont want to see them look like a freaking expansion team just because of 1 poor season.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 04:25 PM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,136 Times in 2,402 Posts
Default Re: solomon wilcots addresses steelers current situation

T.H. - interesting that the players are quoted as being more for Whiz than Grimm.

That frankly is a point in Grimm's favor for me - this team has a lot of talent but did not play like it most of the season, which indicates it needs someone to get them focused more than a best friend as HC. Job #1 is to restore the discipline that was lacking this year.

I do not believe anyone thinks this team needs to be blown up but I am not among those that think this year was just a hiccup and we are a sure bet to go 12-4 next year without some significant adjustments.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 04:33 PM   #3
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

I think with such questionable play calling all year I dont even know how Whisenhunt could be a contendor for the job.
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 04:56 PM   #4
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
T.H. - interesting that the players are quoted as being more for Whiz than Grimm.

That frankly is a point in Grimm's favor for me - this team has a lot of talent but did not play like it most of the season, which indicates it needs someone to get them focused more than a best friend as HC. Job #1 is to restore the discipline that was lacking this year.

I do not believe anyone thinks this team needs to be blown up but I am not among those that think this year was just a hiccup and we are a sure bet to go 12-4 next year without some significant adjustments.
to a tee, all the players seem to want as little of change as possible.

are they too fat and happy and afraid of discipline or a heavy hand?

has the "family atmosphere" clouded the main goal of winning?

are the players taking the rooneys loyalty for granted?

do they think being a steeler automatically makes them great?

i dont know the answer to these questions but im inclined to believe that this years downfall is as much of the players fault as it is the coaches. losing jerome and ben didnt help much either.

i do feel for players like ward, haynes, parker, whose only sins (turnovers) were caused by trying too hard as opposed to a lack of focus or coaching. you have to admit, cowher and hoak have done a fantastic job of coaching willie up from nothing.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:51 PM   #5
Hines0wnz
Living Legend

Member Number: 3085

I would be highly disappointed if Whisenhunt was promoted to HC. I dont totally agree with Russ Grimm either but I would understand him being named HC before Whiz. The new HC doesnt need a heavy hand in getting this team back to Super Bowl caliber potential. He just needs to make them realize that being a SB champ only makes it more difficult and that even harder work has to take place. Yes, Jerome retiring was a big blow to the leadership but it should not have been so much that TOs ran rampant. And the new HC also should sit Ben down, if Ben doesnt figure it out in the off season on his own, and tell him that trying to come back from injuries in record time isnt always the right decision. Not every QB is Brett Favre or John Elway and sometimes sitting out an extra game or 2 is better in the long run. If he doesnt believe it then he only needs to review the first Cincy game and the pathetic Oakland game, there's proof enough.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:21 PM   #6
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
I think with such questionable play calling all year I dont even know how Whisenhunt could be a contendor for the job.
care to elaborate on the questionable play calling? only game plans i disagreed with was both against the ravens.

steelers came out firing against jax only to have the refs take away a 1st down and potential opening score that couldve turned the tides of the game.

all in all, playcalling is really a coinflip. you either run or you throw.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:29 PM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
care to elaborate on the questionable play calling? only game plans i disagreed with was both against the ravens.

steelers came out firing against jax only to have the refs take away a 1st down and potential opening score that couldve turned the tides of the game.

all in all, playcalling is really a coinflip. you either run or you throw.
T.H. - how about this? In the Cincy game at Heinz, Steelers pounding the ball, up 7-0, and then this play to start the 2nd quarter:

1st and 6 at CIN 6 (15:00) B.Roethlisberger pass short middle intended for H.Miller INTERCEPTED by M.Williams at CIN -6. M.Williams to CIN 3 for 9 yards (H.Miller).

Most people cite the Coclough fumble, but IMHO the game and the season went south with that call.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:41 PM   #8
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
T.H. - how about this? In the Cincy game at Heinz, Steelers pounding the ball, up 7-0, and then this play to start the 2nd quarter:

1st and 6 at CIN 6 (15:00) B.Roethlisberger pass short middle intended for H.Miller INTERCEPTED by M.Williams at CIN -6. M.Williams to CIN 3 for 9 yards (H.Miller).

Most people cite the Coclough fumble, but IMHO the game and the season went south with that call.
great point. i guess im talking about gameplanning when big D is talking about playcalling. the play you referrenced totally reminds me of the 97 afcc game where stewart throws an int into triple coverage into the endzone on 2nd and short while jerome is completely dominating the game. = season ending.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:53 PM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
great point. i guess im talking about gameplanning when big D is talking about playcalling. the play you referrenced totally reminds me of the 97 afcc game where stewart throws an int into triple coverage into the endzone on 2nd and short while jerome is completely dominating the game. = season ending.
Oh man - your searing memory of the Denver loss is the same as mine - they were up 4 and I thought going in to grab the game by the throat when Kordell just throws it up for grabs in the direction of Thigpen, like many of Ben's INTs this year . Then they followed up on that by trying to move the ball with less than 2 minutes to go in the first half, failed, and Denver scored again to turn a 4 point lead into a 10 point halftime deficit. I think that game really got the monkey on Cowher's back about not being a good game or playoff coach.

Games and seasons really can turn on a single turnover.
Old 01-01-2007, 11:10 PM   #10
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

Quote:

You just had to bring that up,.......didn't ya Tone!? (Not that i'm,......still.....bitter,...or anything) LOL

"Hail Caesar,.....HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote