Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 04-15-2006, 05:06 PM   #1
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591
Default Penn State Football

Will be my alma mater Akron Zips. I went to their Spring Game today, so here's a little scouting report for all you PSU fans.

First off, this is a team that has a surprising amount of depth (which is usually the killer when mid-majors try to compete with the big conferences). They've had the best recruiting class in the MAC the last two years, and Rivals has rated their recent class as higher than several Big 10 teams. They have some big school talent at some positions...for example, they have a 315lb DL who originally selected Miami U, and decided to go to Rutgers instead. He was a top 10 HS recruit a couple years ago. Luke Getsy was Pitt's QB but didn't want to play second fiddle to Palko, so he jumped ship with Brookhart. Their starting RB was an OSU signing who changed his mind. They have 10 Frosh from Florida, and stole a bunch talent from the state of Virginia as well.

Their defense improved dramatically from '04-'05, going from something like 115th to 27th in total D1-A defense, and it should be even better this year with the upgrades from good recruiting. They have 4 quality CB's, and they rotate all of them in and out. All this being said, their offense hung 31 on them in the Spring game, which brings me to the teams strength.

Akron will have an explosive offense this year, and will hang some points on Penn State. They return their entire OL from last years MAC champion team, as well as Getsy who set 17 school records last year (many of those records just recently set by Charlie Frye). Dennis Kennedy is a shifty back (The OSU recruit) with speed and power, and they have an excellent TE in Kris Kasparek (6'6" 260 and super soft hands), and a bunch of young stud WR's from all over the country. Jabari Arthur is their go to WR, and at 6'4" 224, he'll be a handful for any DB he faces.

I have no idea what their special teams will be like, since their PK, P, and PR and KR all departed last year.

All in all, if PSU decides to take the day off, the Zips will hang with them and give them a game. Although they are an improving team, and extremely well coached, Akro isn't ready to knock off a top tier team like PSU just yet, but I have a feeling NC State (Game #2 on the Zips schedule) may wish they wouldn't have schedule this game by time it's over.

Last edited by SteelCityMan786; 09-10-2006 at 03:16 PM.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 05:44 PM   #2
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328
Default Re: Nittany Lions First '06 Opponent

You know I'm lookin forward to it... One thing Akron will have going for them is it will be quarterback Anthony Morelli's first career start. There will also be four new faces in the secondary, but one of them will be high school All-American Justin King.

Last edited by BB2W; 04-15-2006 at 05:55 PM.
BB2W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 07:49 PM   #3
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Akron WILL light up that secondary. Getsy will probably throw close to 60 passes in the game, and there is real talent at the WR position for Akron.
Old 04-15-2006, 10:49 PM   #4
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

The Defense However will still be a challenge. Pouz is back and is a born leader. He Will take control and help fire up his fellow defensive players and will give Getsy a hard time if he gets out of rhythm. The Offense might be a problem to handle if Morreli is getting good protection from the O Line and doesn't make too many mistakes. Well this is what I draw from it. Gonna have to wait 1 more week to get a good look at Penn State at their Blue White Game.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:09 AM   #5
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Let me put this in perspective. In 2004, the Zips lost 48-10 in Happy Valley...I'm think the score will be more like 35-24 this time around.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:57 AM   #6
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
My Mood: Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
Akron WILL light up that secondary. Getsy will probably throw close to 60 passes in the game, and there is real talent at the WR position for Akron.

Our LBs will be all over Getsy.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:15 AM   #7
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Good...that's exactly what the West Coast Offense JD Brookhart runs is designed to beat.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:13 PM   #8
BB2W
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlrs4Life
Our LBs will be all over Getsy.
The new trio in the Big Ten...

Old 04-17-2006, 09:41 PM   #9
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Let me put this in perspective. In 2004, the Zips lost 48-10 in Happy Valley...I'm think the score will be more like 35-24 this time around.
Very True. I am sure Penn State is definantly gonna win the one. But by a much closer score. Morelli will be starting his 1st game and he is gonna go through some growing pains. This is a good challenge for Penn State because the next week they have Notre Dame. And It will be good to have a challenge under our belt before heading to South Bend.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 09:44 PM   #10
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
My Mood: Bored

Quote:
Good...that's exactly what the West Coast Offense JD Brookhart runs is designed to beat.

Defeat what? When your QB is on his back all the time? We'll make Getsy look like Tommy Maddox.

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote