Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 08-06-2005, 06:50 AM   #1
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302
Default Trade????

I was thinking , " Should we consider trading Hines Ward"? I'm on the fence here. I love Hines,but we are to close to a ring to not have a great reciever on this team. I don't want to trade, but I don't want to jeopardize our future either. We can get a damn good receiver for alot less money. I'm not sure, I just wanted to know your opinions. I haven't been around so I'm not sure if this has been brought up.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:25 AM   #2
SteelerSal
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 467
Default Re: Trade????

Well I'm not for it,but if we did we could get a whole lot for him(depth)at the reciever and o-line positions.
But this is stupid to even think that we would,SHAME ON US!!!!
SteelerSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 08:37 AM   #3
SteelR1
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 512

Both sides should stop being so damn stubborn and come to an agreement. Offer the man a contract he's worth (you did promise him one), Sign it and lets play some FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-06-2005, 11:53 AM   #4
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

I wouldn't be for trading him. Hines needs to get in camp so the negotations can start. Let's get this deal done!
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005, 08:02 PM   #5
ironcitychef
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 109

Its amazing but as each day passes I am leaning more and more for a youth movement. So its up to the veterans to show they want to be here.
Old 08-06-2005, 08:45 PM   #6
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

As much as I love Hines, I think the money he was offered is fair. We could fill his spot for that amount or less without missing a beat.

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 01:21 AM   #7
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70

No way, no way do we trade him. If he holds out past October, we get him for another year yet. He knows this, he'll be in camp or on the field this year, there's almost no doubt in my mind. His agent won't let him stay out the whole year and then lose that year of eligibility. There's too much of a payoff at stake. Plus we still have time to resign him after the 2005 season before he would hit the market.

I'd fall over if we actually entertained any trade rumors.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 06:05 AM   #8
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity
No way, no way do we trade him. If he holds out past October, we get him for another year yet. He knows this, he'll be in camp or on the field this year, there's almost no doubt in my mind. His agent won't let him stay out the whole year and then lose that year of eligibility. There's too much of a payoff at stake. Plus we still have time to resign him after the 2005 season before he would hit the market.

I'd fall over if we actually entertained any trade rumors.
I understand what your saying Blitz, BUT, We are coming off a 15-1 season, we need him this year. We need somebody this year. Ben is going into his second year, we already let Plax go, Duce is hurting, Bus is older, We need someone now. Hines is becoming more and more selfish everyday, because he knows that we need a reciever so bad.
Old 08-08-2005, 09:18 AM   #9
bigbensgirl7
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 292

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevestinks
I understand what your saying Blitz, BUT, We are coming off a 15-1 season, we need him this year. We need somebody this year. Ben is going into his second year, we already let Plax go, Duce is hurting, Bus is older, We need someone now. Hines is becoming more and more selfish everyday, because he knows that we need a reciever so bad.
I couldn't agree more Cleve. This whole situation is really starting to piss me off, and if we want to come out strong we need either Hines back on the field and practicing now, or we need a replacement for him. I always said I couldn't imagine Ward on any other team and that he was a true Pittsburgh guy, but my opinion is changing every day he misses camp. It's getting old and the Steelers are not going to budge so wither he reports soon or start looking for a trade.
Cleve...if a trade is the next move, who would you like us to get???
Old 08-08-2005, 10:33 AM   #10
Man of Steel
Water Boy

Member Number: 510

Trade Hines Ward...No, I don't like the sound of that. While I'm sure we could get one or two good players and maybe a draft pick, if we want to win the Super Bowl, I think we need Hines in the fold. Without Hines, I still think we can make the playoffs, without him, I don't know if the recieving corps is good enough to win in Detriot in January. It's all about this year in the Burgh.

I've heard alot on this topic as I'm sure everyone in western PA has, but I'm still on the fence. It sounds strange, but I have to agree with both sides, with Hines AND with management. Hines is a 4-time Pro Bowler entering his prime, with a strong work ethic and incredible tenacity. He wants, and deserves in my opinion, money relative to the numbers of the best WRs in the game, which he is among, no doubt. Being the 37th highest paid reciever in the game isn't gonna cut it anymore. Now, I don't think the Steelers should break the bank, but I do think they should pay the man for his services somewhere in the neighborhood of, say, Javon Walker's, Chad Johnson's, Torry Holt's numbers. Not T.O's or Randy's, but you get the idea.

But then, even Hines isn't bigger than the Steelers. It sucks, but the Steelers policy is that they simply won't negotiate with you unless you are in camp (Maddox situation aside). That is, and always has been their policy; Hines has to have known this. The Rooneys are in charge, and the people in charge make the rules. If you want to play, you have to play by the rules, whether you agree with them or not.

I really hope Hines reconsiders, which I think he will, and report to camp, spend a few days up there and finally reach a fair deal for everyone involved. I'd hate to see him miss the whole preseason and be a question mark coming into what was supposed to be a Super Bowl run-type season.

The silver lining in this dark cloud that I really haven't heard about is all the reps the OTHER Steeler WRs are recieving. Anyone remember Zamir Cobb last year? This is a chance for him to get off the practice squad and make the opening day squad. Wilson seems to be better than most were expecting, and Randle El is seeing what being a #1 is like. Mays, Morey, and Gibson should all be getting good experiences and more attention from coaches and QBs. There are no Pro Bowlers without Hines, but this group has TONS of potential and should be hungry to make a name for themselves.
Man of Steel is offline   Reply With Quote