Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2007, 07:36 AM   #1
Livinginthe past
Living Legend
 
Livinginthe past's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Crushing the AFCE...annually
Posts: 7,520
Member Number: 478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Kirwan : The Power Of Clutch

Kirwan examines, among other things, the clutch game winning skills of two players - Tom Brady and Adam Vinatieri.

Examining the stats they are head and shoulders above the opposition, of course their relationship has been symbiotic - Brady's drives wouldn't necessarily be 'game winners' if it wasn't for AV, and AV wouldn't even get a shot at the posts if it wasn't for Brady's ability to craft drives when the ultimate pressure is on.

Kirawn also tells us what we already know; that Petyon is great when the chips are falling is way, but in adversity the wheels tend to come off.

http://www.superbowl.com/news/story/9910091

NM
__________________
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 11:26 AM   #2
Stillers#1
Banned
 
Stillers#1's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Living in Spokane, WA because fo the Air Force.
Posts: 1,178
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1082
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Kirwan : The Power Of Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Kirwan examines, among other things, the clutch game winning skills of two players - Tom Brady and Adam Vinatieri.

Examining the stats they are head and shoulders above the opposition, of course their relationship has been symbiotic - Brady's drives wouldn't necessarily be 'game winners' if it wasn't for AV, and AV wouldn't even get a shot at the posts if it wasn't for Brady's ability to craft drives when the ultimate pressure is on.

Kirawn also tells us what we already know; that Petyon is great when the chips are falling is way, but in adversity the wheels tend to come off.

http://www.superbowl.com/news/story/9910091

NM
Curious....but when has Brady won a game with a TOUCHDOWN? I know he will get out of the first round, and probably the 2nd, but God help him if he gets into a shootout with Sandiego. I digress though, seriously can anyone remember when he drove the Pats downfield in the 4th for anything other than a game winning field goal?
Stillers#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:42 PM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend
 
Livinginthe past's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Crushing the AFCE...annually
Posts: 7,520
Member Number: 478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Kirwan : The Power Of Clutch

Why does it have to be a TD that clinches it - at the end of the day the QB can't do everything by himself - even if he throws the ball the receiver needs to make the catch.

He has 22 4th quarter comebacks at this point in his career - I dont see any asterix next to Elways 50 or Marinos 46 to say that it was only counts as a comeback when the final score was a TD.



NM
__________________
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 03:32 PM   #4
Stillers#1
Banned
 
Stillers#1's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Living in Spokane, WA because fo the Air Force.
Posts: 1,178
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1082
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Kirwan : The Power Of Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
He has 22 4th quarter comebacks at this point in his career - I dont see any asterix next to Elways 50 or Marinos 46 to say that it was only counts as a comeback when the final score was a TD.



NM
I would be willing to say Adam Viniateri had a hand in at least 15 of those comebacks. 4th QTR comebacks are th emost overated stat for a QB anyways.

The fact of the matter is the Pats have 22 4th QTR comebacks with Tom Brady getting the snaps. As much as Pats fans would have you believe he did, Tom Brady doesn't play OL, RB, WR, and TE too.
Stillers#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 04:24 PM   #5
Livinginthe past
Living Legend
 
Livinginthe past's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Crushing the AFCE...annually
Posts: 7,520
Member Number: 478
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Kirwan : The Power Of Clutch

Quote:
A straw man argument is a logical fallacy based on misrepresentation of an opponent's position. To "set up a straw man" or "set up a straw-man argument" is to create a position that is easy to refute, then attribute that position to the opponent. A straw-man argument can be a successful rhetorical technique (that is, it may succeed in persuading people) but it is in fact misleading, because the opponent's actual argument has not been refuted.
Take a look at this definition.

Yes thats right Patriots fans think Brady plays all the positions on the field LOL

NM
__________________
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 08:53 PM   #6
Stillers#1
Banned
 
Stillers#1's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Living in Spokane, WA because fo the Air Force.
Posts: 1,178
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1082
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Kirwan : The Power Of Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Take a look at this definition.

Yes thats right Patriots fans think Brady plays all the positions on the field LOL

NM
So what you are telling me is, in fact Brady won those games all on his own?
Stillers#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:52 AM   #7
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 156 degrees 17' 30" W 20 degrees 55' N
Posts: 1,749
Member Number: 1645
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Kirwan : The Power Of Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Why does it have to be a TD that clinches it - at the end of the day the QB can't do everything by himself - even if he throws the ball the receiver needs to make the catch.

He has 22 4th quarter comebacks at this point in his career - I dont see any asterix next to Elways 50 or Marinos 46 to say that it was only counts as a comeback when the final score was a TD.



NM
Well. Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl too.

Cmon LIPT. Tom Brady is a fluke. He couldn't throw his way out of a paper bag...as the saying goes
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 02:32 PM   #8
Stillers#1
Banned
 
Stillers#1's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Living in Spokane, WA because fo the Air Force.
Posts: 1,178
Gender: Male
Member Number: 1082
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Kirwan : The Power Of Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku_Dirtt View Post
Well. Trent Dilfer won a Super Bowl too.

Cmon LIPT. Tom Brady is a fluke. He couldn't throw his way out of a paper bag...as the saying goes
And the Lord said, "LET THE SARCASM FLOW LIKE THE BEER!"

You misunderstand me, I do think Brady is the best QB in football, and he is even, as people say, a GREAT QB. However, he doesn't have those three rings withough A.V. Plain and simple.
Stillers#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 11:56 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
 
tony hipchest's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Give me back my game...
Posts: 39,915
Member Number: 658
Thanks: 2,168
Thanked 9,649 Times in 4,009 Posts
Default Re: Kirwan : The Power Of Clutch

a much more interresting fact in this article, other than the obvious/typical chart showing that brady and vinatieri are good , is that the home teams havent swept the wild card rounds since 2000.

home teams this weekend? 4-0
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts