Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-06-2007, 11:12 PM   #1
I-Want-Troy's-Hair
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2698
Default Ken Whisenhunt To Arizona Discussion

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/s...a-sports-front

Steelers' Whisenhunt to interview with Dolphins today

By Alex Marvez
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted January 6 2007

The Dolphins kicked off their head coaching search Friday by interviewing Georgia Tech's Chan Gailey and former Falcons coach Jim Mora Jr. in Atlanta.

But the candidate who may become the franchise's top choice to replace the departed Nick Saban is coming to South Florida today.

Sports Illustrated's web site reported Friday night that Pittsburgh offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt is flying to South Florida for a dinner tonight with Dolphins owner H. Wayne Huizenga.

Huizenga's personal involvement indicates how much the franchise has interest in Whisenhunt, who already has interviewed for job openings in Atlanta and Arizona.

Whisenhunt also will interview Tuesday for the Steelers' coaching vacancy that opened Friday when Bill Cowher resigned. The Steelers retain Cowher's contractual rights through the 2007 season and team president Art Rooney II said during a Friday news conference that the Dolphins had not contacted him about trying to schedule an interview.

The Dolphins would likely have to provide heavy draft compensation to hire Cowher, whose 15 years with the Steelers was highlighted by a victory in Super Bowl XL.

San Diego offensive coordinator Cam Cameron and Chicago Bears coordinators Ron Rivera (defense) and Ron Turner (offense) will be interviewed by the Dolphins this weekend as potential replacements for Saban, who quit Tuesday to become head coach at Alabama.

The Dolphins are expected to meet next week with Minnesota defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin and Jim Bates, the team's former defensive coordinator who served as head coach on an interim basis for seven games before Saban's hiring in December 2004.

Gailey was the Dolphins' offensive coordinator in 2000 and 2001 before leaving for Georgia Tech.

"It was clear to me that they were in the process of gathering information and insight into organizational issues," Gailey said in a university-released statement.

"I appreciate that they asked to speak with me regarding their future direction."

Mora, 45, led the Falcons to the NFC Championship game during his first season in 2004. But the franchise failed to reach the playoffs the past two years, leading to Mora's firing last week.

Tomlin, 34 just completed his first season as Minnesota's defensive coordinator after serving the previous five years as Tampa Bay's secondary coach.

Defensive chief Dom Capers is considered the top internal candidate from the Dolphins' current coaching staff.

The Dolphins may ultimately interview general manager candidates as well with Randy Mueller considered on shaky ground even before Saban's departure. One potential candidate is Floyd Reese, who resigned Friday as Tennessee's general manager.

"We have a plan in place that is designed to insure we identify and talk to a broad and diverse pool of candidates for the head coaching position," Dolphins President Bryan Wiedmeier said in a team-released statement. "There is no set timetable. While the process will be carried out as quickly as possible, the primary consideration is getting the right person."
Old 01-06-2007, 11:41 PM   #2
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572
Default Re: Wiz to interview in Miami

hope he does not get the job in Miami
NV STEELERS 723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 02:10 AM   #3
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150
Default Re: Wiz to interview in Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV STEELERS 723 View Post
hope he does not get the job in Miami
assuming he doesn't stay with the Steelers, where would you like to see him go?
Old 01-07-2007, 03:00 AM   #4
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645
Default If Whiz Goes

Damage control. Worst case scenario. Dogs and cat living together. END OF THE WORLD.

K-Whiz (for the record I hate this abbreviated name crap) is going to be a head coach this year.

What is most incredible is that (as far as I know...which is little) if Whiz is not our head coach then we are looking for an offensive coordinator too.

WHO is going to control Ben? ART II saw the writing on the wall long ago. I think we're looking at window dressing.

I'm a cynic.

BECAUSE...Who is the next offensive coordinator? If Whiz doesn't stay then the Head Coach issue morphs into a legendary perplexity.

"Show me the way to go home...I'm tired and I want to go to bed...I had a little drink..."
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:32 AM   #5
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Ken Whisenhunt Discussion

Please post anything relating to Ken Whisenhunt here for the same reasons we asked with regard to the Cowher threads. Thanks!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:46 AM   #6
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656
Default Re: Ken Whisenhunt Discussion

Sounds like we are looking for anOC either way. Whether he accepta a HC job elsewhere or with the Steelers, there's an opening available. It will all come down to money and I'm afraid Steelers fans will get the short end of the stick.
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:10 AM   #7
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

I`m sure he wont jump ship, until he knows what his status here. We`ll see though, if he is Rooneys man, I`m sure they will let him know.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:25 AM   #8
In Cowher We Trust
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 3134

i hope he stays
Old 01-07-2007, 08:38 AM   #9
LambertIsGod58
Team President

Member Number: 410

Whiz wants the Steelers job...I just hope the Rooneys are smart enough to offer it to him.

"Life is a journey and you never arrive" Chuck Noll 1969-91
LambertIsGod58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 08:38 AM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,817 Times in 2,687 Posts

With coaching jobs continuing to open up (Parcells may say to hell with it, Coughlin may get canned after today, and I still think Marty is not safe if the chargers would lose next weekend) that is a good point about needing to hire a staff.

A further argument for Whiz or Grimm is that either of them would not need to hire a completely new staff while a half dozen other teams are attempting to do the same. I could see the current QB coach as coordinator if either Whiz or Grimm gets the job.

I still see Whiz going to ATL.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote