Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-08-2007, 05:28 PM   #1
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default Pioli turns down Giants!

As per your favorite football gossip hound (PFW) a Giants blogger has it from a 'Giants official' that Patriots VP of Player personnel, Scott Pioli has turned down the opportunity to interview for the NY Giants job.

This is despite the Patriots granting permission for the Giants to interview him.

Pioli had previously turned down an extremely lucrative deal to move to the Seahawks.

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/fo...some_news.html

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:30 PM   #2
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313
Default Re: Pioli turns down Giants?

I think he is in a comfort zone, that he doesnt want to get out of..
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 05:36 PM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Default Re: Pioli turns down Giants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
I think he is in a comfort zone, that he doesnt want to get out of..
I sure as hell hope so - he and Belichick have a great understanding - no guarantee that can be recreated elsewhere.

Although guys that are very successful at what they do often have an ego to match, I thought Pioli would be tempted to turn around his 'home franchise'

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:58 PM   #4
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Default Re: Pioli turns down Giants!

Scott Pioli just made the following announcement.

Quote:
"I am very honored to be granted the opportunity to discuss a potential position with the New York Giants. I have tremendous respect for the Kraft family, the Mara family, the Tisch family and the Giants organization. After careful consideration, and for personal reasons, I am continuing in my current role with the New England Patriots."
Excellent news.

NM
Old 01-08-2007, 06:49 PM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,499 Times in 3,736 Posts

Imagine being satisfied with your current situation and not seeking to maximize your income - lucky for the Pats that Pioli does not have any daughters who allegedly demanded to move to another state to play high school basketball.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:00 PM   #6
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Imagine being satisfied with your current situation and not seeking to maximize your income - lucky for the Pats that Pioli does not have any daughters who allegedly demanded to move to another state to play high school basketball.
As you allude to, theres more to life than money - Pioli gets it, Cowher obviously doesn't.

He'll probably realise when its too late.

NM
Old 01-08-2007, 07:15 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,950 Times in 4,535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
As you allude to, theres more to life than money - Pioli gets it, Cowher obviously doesn't.

He'll probably realise when its too late.

NM
im wondering if pioli stood to make a 100% increase in salary if he left to the giants? i doubt it. im sure kraft will pay him to stay. after all didnt pioli save kraft millions on the vinatieri and branch deals alone? he will be appropriately rewarded. pioli isnt a player. im sure its not all about the rings to him.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 07:28 PM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,499 Times in 3,736 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
im wondering if pioli stood to make a 100% increase in salary if he left to the giants? i doubt it. im sure kraft will pay him to stay. after all didnt pioli save kraft millions on the vinatieri and branch deals alone? he will be appropriately rewarded. pioli isnt a player. im sure its not all about the rings to him.
T.H. - to clarify my remarks, if Cowher wants to max out his income that is his right, but if that is what is driving him at this stage of his life and contributed to his resignation that (or whatever reason for his resignation) is unfortunate for the Steelers and their fans.

As for doubling his income, the Steelers allegedly offered $6 to $6.5 per and Cowher allegedly wanted about a million more per. Unless Jerry Jones or Danny Snyder is planning to leave Belichek's next deal in the dust and offer $12-13 million per, it does not appear Coach Cowher will double what he would be receiving from the Steelers by moving on.

Do not want to hijack the thread; the Pats are fortunate to have Pioli at a stage of his career where he is not seeking to max out his payday, just as they are fortunate to have Brady not seeeking to max out his salary (unlike Peyton and Vick, who have exercised their right to grab for every $$).
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 08:16 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 10,950 Times in 4,535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
T.H. - to clarify my remarks, if Cowher wants to max out his income that is his right, but if that is what is driving him at this stage of his life and contributed to his resignation that (or whatever reason for his resignation) is unfortunate for the Steelers and their fans.

As for doubling his income, the Steelers allegedly offered $6 to $6.5 per and Cowher allegedly wanted about a million more per. Unless Jerry Jones or Danny Snyder is planning to leave Belichek's next deal in the dust and offer $12-13 million per, it does not appear Coach Cowher will double what he would be receiving from the Steelers by moving on.

Do not want to hijack the thread; the Pats are fortunate to have Pioli at a stage of his career where he is not seeking to max out his payday, just as they are fortunate to have Brady not seeeking to max out his salary (unlike Peyton and Vick, who have exercised their right to grab for every $$).
i was more alluding to the statement that cowher doesnt get it.

im looking at his current salary (supposedly $4-5 mil) vs. what a college coach fresh to the nfl makes (about the same) compared to what he can possibly get next season from potentially 2 of the highest bidders ($9-10 mil.)

i think comparing pioli's situation to cowhers is a horrible comparisson. i dont know what pioli makes and i dont know what the giants wouldve offered, but im pretty sure the patriots have realized he was a key component to their success and wouldve matched or upped the giants offer to retain his services.

until i see the bottom line as proof, i will never believe front office personnel are taking hometown discounts to collect more jewelry. if push came to shove i dont think kraft would haggle over a million/year where belichick or pioli are concerned. i dont think it would ever come to that. pioli. 'chick and brady all fall into this same class.

the rooneys probably offered a deal in the range of $26 mil for the next 4 years. = 6.5/year. all he has to do is win a sb in the next 2 years and with that contract, once again, hes being paid well below market value.

from a business standpoint (which the nfl ultimately is) cowher and his agent most definitely get it. i can guarantee you the rooneys or r. kraft dont look at football as "just a game".
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote