Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 02-28-2007, 09:47 PM   #11
verks36
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 5088
Default Re: Boise State Deserves to be co-National Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
The main reason I've never really been able to get into college ball. I have a problem with "champions" that are picked by sportswriters. Championships should be decided on the field. The BCS is a noble experiment that failed. Just my
Well i am in to college football,(not as much as the steelers) but i am still in to it. There are some great games ei... the boise state oklahama game was the best football game i have ever watched in my young life. SO there are some still great fooball games being played. I totally agree it is just a killer how they cant admit they screwed up the bcs and that they are to stuburn to switch to a playoff

xbox live gamertag= NtL doubledooky
I dedicate the 36 at the end of my name to thee Jerome bettis

"Working hard beats talent that doesn't work hard."- Kevin Durrant

IF YOU ARE NOT A STEELERS FAN CLICK HERE
---------------------------------------------------->>>>http://vpoet.net/flash/youare.swf

--------------DA Offical Steelers Soulja Boy Dance----------------------
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-F-9s3vWOXk
verks36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 10:28 PM   #12
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,050 Times in 393 Posts

Another thing I'm not crazy about as far as college ball is concerned are all the "cupcake games" that only seem to be scheduled to pad teams' records. I'm not interested in watching a team like OSU or USC beat up on "Southeast Podunk State" to the tune of 80-0. I'm sure there are some good games, but it seems to me when I read the sports section on Sunday mornings during football season, I see alot more results of these types of games than competitive ones. I also admit that this disconnect as far as NCAA football is concerned is to my detriment - I really can't discuss the NFL draft intelligently because of it. As a result, you won't see me much in any draft threads - if I show up in any at all it will probably be to ask someone else a question about players that they think might fit the Steelers' mold.

Last edited by fansince'76; 02-28-2007 at 10:55 PM.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:10 PM   #13
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

There's soft scheduling, and SOFT scheduling. Without naming conferences or teams that I think are really padding, I do admire what OSU has done: They have scheduled at least one marquee match-up with a non conference powerhouse-type foe for at least the next ten years. Interestingly, when the Buckeyes asked Florida to play a Home/Away series, the Gators declined. Thankfully for us Buckeye fans, teams like USC, Oklahoma, Virginia Tech, Cal, etc, etc didn't.

Anyway, in the other non conference games the Bucks play, they don't schedule D-1AA creampuffs, but tough MAC teams who, since the scholarship numbers were reduced a decade or so ago have produced some excellent and competitive teams (Like that Ben Roethlisberger led Miami team that only lost 1 game his last year in college). It counts.

Finally, if it really came down to it last year, and Boise State DID face OSU for the NC game as the only other undefeated, they would have been beaten by about 4 TD's. Oklahoma was only okay this year, and they had several opportunities to beat Boise State. Florida playing for the NC against OSU was the right call.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:15 PM   #14
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,050 Times in 393 Posts

If you're an OSU fan, I apologize and please allow me to clarify my earlier statement. I was using OSU and USC as generic examples of schedule padding - like I said, I'm not big on NCAA football - although I do follow it casually through the Sunday AM sports section, I'm still admittedly not the most informed on the subject as to which schools have the most obvious "cupcake" schedules. Congrats on being #1 for the first time since '62 in B-ball. Now, NCAA B-ball is another story. March Madness is one of the things that helps me through until the NFL season rolls around again.

Last edited by fansince'76; 03-03-2007 at 07:43 PM.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 05:47 PM   #15
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

I totally agree about a football playoff. If OSU played in an 8 team playoff, they'd have kept their edge and probably prevailed.

As for the B-ball team, they deserve it now, but I'm not sure such a frosh loaded team can handle the pressure of the tourney. My money is on experience, and that means Florida again. But that's the beauty...anything can happen.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote