Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 02-10-2007, 06:29 PM   #1
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498
Default Alright men,...what do you think of this ?

I'm just 'brainstorming' here. But what if we traded away our 5th,6th rounders for an extra third and did the following,....

1st) DE Adam Carriker/Nebraska

2nd) Rb Michael Bush/Louisville

3rd)
A: Cb Tarell Brown/Texas (very solid, battle tested 'all around' corner with good size)
B: S Michael Johnson/Arizona (tremendous upside)

4th) OG Manuel Ramirez/Texas Tech (freakishly powerful and consistent)

7th) Lorenzo Booker/Florida State (as a 'return' man)

I say this with the fact in mind that we still have the starters to compete for a world title next season. Along with the fact that i have my sights set on USC's Rey Maualuga at linebacker in 08. As well as i feel that for the most part our O-line simply underachieved and were made to look even worse because of Ben's ineptitude with the exception of the Ravens/Jags games.
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:11 PM   #2
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Re: Alright men,...what do you think of this ?

I like bringing in Lorenzo. Very Speedy.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 07:48 PM   #3
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCzar76 View Post
I'm just 'brainstorming' here. But what if we traded away our 5th,6th rounders for an extra third and did the following,....

1st) DE Adam Carriker/Nebraska

2nd) Rb Michael Bush/Louisville

3rd)
A: Cb Tarell Brown/Texas (very solid, battle tested 'all around' corner with good size)
B: S Michael Johnson/Arizona (tremendous upside)

4th) OG Manuel Ramirez/Texas Tech (freakishly powerful and consistent)

7th) Lorenzo Booker/Florida State (as a 'return' man)

I say this with the fact in mind that we still have the starters to compete for a world title next season. Along with the fact that i have my sights set on USC's Rey Maualuga at linebacker in 08. As well as i feel that for the most part our O-line simply underachieved and were made to look even worse because of Ben's ineptitude with the exception of the Ravens/Jags games.
My response... pick by pick:

1. I think we need a CB/LB Way before we need a DE. Now I know you want the LB next year. However, if he is that good, he wont fall to 32 next year, which is were I expect to be drafting from!

2. Great Pick.

3. A: SUre, with the problems we have at CB, I have no problem bringing in another.
B: I think we are more then set at safety already. Troy is a stud, and Anthony smith is a starter this year, and will be impressive. Rian Clark and ??? (his name escapes me at the moment) are excellent for back ups... They could be starters in half the leagues teams. For backups... that is not bad at all!

4-7 I say we take shots at small school big men for CB and WR. Our O-Line will be fine with Colon and Kemo this year on the right side. They may have found a great backup at center by moving Kendall Simmons there. More stable position, straight forward pushing, he won't be turnstyled as much. And again, that is a backup. We already have our starter there. So take some long shots at CB and WR... and even LB from small schools.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 08:22 PM   #4
SteelCzar76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
My response... pick by pick:

1. I think we need a CB/LB Way before we need a DE. Now I know you want the LB next year. However, if he is that good, he wont fall to 32 next year, which is were I expect to be drafting from!

2. Great Pick.

3. A: SUre, with the problems we have at CB, I have no problem bringing in another.
B: I think we are more then set at safety already. Troy is a stud, and Anthony smith is a starter this year, and will be impressive. Rian Clark and ??? (his name escapes me at the moment) are excellent for back ups... They could be starters in half the leagues teams. For backups... that is not bad at all!

4-7 I say we take shots at small school big men for CB and WR. Our O-Line will be fine with Colon and Kemo this year on the right side. They may have found a great backup at center by moving Kendall Simmons there. More stable position, straight forward pushing, he won't be turnstyled as much. And again, that is a backup. We already have our starter there. So take some long shots at CB and WR... and even LB from small schools.

I agree that we need CB help desperately Padre,.....but i'm not sold on any of this years class deserving to be picked at the 15th spot. And though i wouldn't be dissapointed with Poz or Willis. I think Carriker would be an immediate improvement in terms of ability to create pressure and or disrupt plays in the backfield than Keisel.

As far as S Michael Johnson is concerned. He reminds me of Carnell Lake with slightly less speed. And though Clark is decent, and Ty Carter shows up at times,....i think they are both merely average at best. (Not to mention undersized and liabilities in coverage) IMO

And regarding Ramirez,......i think at the very least he would provide quality depth in light of some of the 'shuffling' we may be doing up front. The kid has the potential to be 'dominant'. (especially in a system like ours.)

I also agree that we could give some some 'physical' small school receivers a look. But i think we should spare ourselves wasting any more time and or money on small school 'project' corners. Ike and Coke are not exactly what i'd consider elite,.....let alone 'great' corners.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:44 PM   #5
TasmanianTroy271
Team Captain

Member Number: 544

Ramirez won't last till the 4th round, after the combine he might even shoot up to the second. The guy is a beast, and just because he may not have that much skill, 40+ reps of 225 will push his stock way up.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:52 PM   #6
SteelCzar76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TasmanianTroy271 View Post
Ramirez won't last till the 4th round, after the combine he might even shoot up to the second. The guy is a beast, and just because he may not have that much skill, 40+ reps of 225 will push his stock way up.

I thought about this as well. Perhaps we take him (Ramirez) with the 3b pick and go after Johnson in the 4th ? (But then again he (Johnson) probably won't be on the board in the 4th either) LOL
Old 02-10-2007, 10:55 PM   #7
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Yay for Bush
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:13 AM   #8
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

I am not opposed to a trade and like where you went with that line of thought

I Love Carriker..and wouldnt be dissapointed if drafted ..even though I dont believe it to be our biggest need.

Same with Bush...I love this kid as a player...but dont know if we go DE/RB in the first two rounds and ignore the problem we will have with lack of LB depth in one year.

Now Tarell Brown I am going to have to say is a reach for our franchise...I will be sorely dissapointed if I saw Tomlin ignore character issues with draft picks..and Tarell Brown has a history of drug possession and illegal possession of a firearm (found sleeping in a car with pot and a loaded 9mm)

Michael Johnson & Manuel Ramirez are solid picks but Booker may be redundent since we should have a healthy Reid this year.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:21 AM   #9
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

I would love to see Bush slide to the third round..Even with a pro-bowl RB..we would be hard pressed to not pick him up at that point...(Wont ever happen..but I can dream..right?)

Last edited by lamberts-lost-tooth; 02-11-2007 at 10:35 AM.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 02:58 PM   #10
SteelCzar76
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
I am not opposed to a trade and like where you went with that line of thought

I Love Carriker..and wouldnt be dissapointed if drafted ..even though I dont believe it to be our biggest need.

Same with Bush...I love this kid as a player...but dont know if we go DE/RB in the first two rounds and ignore the problem we will have with lack of LB depth in one year.

Now Tarell Brown I am going to have to say is a reach for our franchise...I will be sorely dissapointed if I saw Tomlin ignore character issues with draft picks..and Tarell Brown has a history of drug possession and illegal possession of a firearm (found sleeping in a car with pot and a loaded 9mm)

Michael Johnson & Manuel Ramirez are solid picks but Booker may be redundent since we should have a healthy Reid this year.

Very good points LLT ! I thought about those issues with Brown as well. Henceforth the reason he'd even be on the board in the 3rd or 4th. But i was thinking that perhaps these incidents could be a matter of 'ego'. (trying to play the "Tough Guy" for his peers) And maybe he would come to mature and understand his 'priorities' in a no nonsense enviroment such as the one our franchise would provide. (Along with a few incident 'clauses' in his contract) LOL
You also have a good point about Reid. And though i think he's talented,...he's not 'explosive'. And i was thinking it wouldn't hurt to bring in Booker as a 'contingency plan' so to speak. Though Booker is undersized (as far as RB's go),....i feel he has better physical tools than Reid. (I also believe he'd be a little 'hungrier')