Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

 Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **


Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2007, 01:14 PM   #11
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Michigan City, IN
Posts: 3,253
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: first round pick

I say injecting some youth into the LB core is the way to go in the first round. Everybody complains about the secondary but if you improve the pass rush it makes the secondary better.

As for the Oline. Both Kendall Simmons and Max Starks were average at best this year. Plus Jeff Hartings is probally going to retire. Chucky Okobi would probally get the first shot at center to take over for Hartings. Plus there is Marvin Phillip. As for RG and RT yea there is Chris Kemoeatu at RG backing up Simmons. Plus Colon and Essex will be in the mix at RT to push Starks. But alot of them guys havn't proven themselves. You can never have enough Oline depth if all the best pass rushers at LB are gone by 15 I say take the top Olinemen.

Now if the OLB and Oline are all gone then a top corner prospect would be my next choice.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 01:30 PM   #12
DACEB
Banned
 
DACEB's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,480
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2911
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: first round pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachspeak33 View Post
I really cant see us taking a DB in round 1... Ric Coclough is #4 on our CB depth chart.... Now I am not a huge fan of his but.... look around at other teams.... most of which would love to have a guy of his ability at #4 on their depth chart.... not a bad option to fall back on in case of injury....

I am not a gigantic fan of the "best player available" mentality too much either.... we saw enough bad things from our O line this year for that postion to warrant consideration.... we also know that two factors:
Age (Farrior is entering his 12 or 13 season, Porter and Haggans are approaching 30)
Contract Issues (If Joey thinks the Rooneys are gonna give him top 5 LB $, think again)

These issues are also reason enough in my opinion to warrant serious consideration for selecting a LB with our Rd 1 pick
I like your point about Coclough, but is his situation known at this point with the neck injury?

The best player available mentality works if the best player available fills a need. As you stated above there is more than one pressing need at this time. Even a lower rated need like a big RB/WR as many have stated would be hard to pass up. The Steelers do a good job evaluating the talent, and if a player they like falls to their spot I believe that would be the player they would select no matter the rated need.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:39 PM   #13
BozMan
Starter
 
BozMan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 409
Gender: Male
Member Number: 3027
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: first round pick

With regards to DB, the one thing we need is HEIGHT! Or at least someone with a good vertical leap. How many times this season did our DBs get beat on endzone passes?

Anthony Madison is 5'9"
Iwuoma is 5'9"
Townsend is 5'10"
Colclough is 5'11"
McFadden is 6'0"
Taylor is 6'1"

Are there any good CB prospects out there that are at least, say, 6'3"? If not, I don't think we should spend an early pick on one.
BozMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:41 PM   #14
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned
 
lamberts-lost-tooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2363
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: first round pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32 View Post
I say injecting some youth into the LB core is the way to go in the first round. Everybody complains about the secondary but if you improve the pass rush it makes the secondary better.

As for the Oline. Both Kendall Simmons and Max Starks were average at best this year. Plus Jeff Hartings is probally going to retire. Chucky Okobi would probally get the first shot at center to take over for Hartings. Plus there is Marvin Phillip. As for RG and RT yea there is Chris Kemoeatu at RG backing up Simmons. Plus Colon and Essex will be in the mix at RT to push Starks. But alot of them guys havn't proven themselves. You can never have enough Oline depth if all the best pass rushers at LB are gone by 15 I say take the top Olinemen.

Now if the OLB and Oline are all gone then a top corner prospect would be my next choice.
We have had this discussion before and I agree with you 100%...got my fingers crossed for Moses!!!
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:50 PM   #15
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned
 
lamberts-lost-tooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2363
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: first round pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BozMan View Post
With regards to DB, the one thing we need is HEIGHT! Or at least someone with a good vertical leap. How many times this season did our DBs get beat on endzone passes?

Anthony Madison is 5'9"
Iwuoma is 5'9"
Townsend is 5'10"
Colclough is 5'11"
McFadden is 6'0"
Taylor is 6'1"

Are there any good CB prospects out there that are at least, say, 6'3"? If not, I don't think we should spend an early pick on one.

TOP CB's

Leon Hall 5'11
Darelle Revis 6'0
Daymeion Hughes 6'0
Marcus McCauley 6'0
Antoine Cason 6'0
Tanard Jackson 6'1
Tarell Brown 6'0
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:50 PM   #16
Black@Gold Forever32
Banned
Supporter
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Michigan City, IN
Posts: 3,253
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2290
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: first round pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
We have had this discussion before and I agree with you 100%...got my fingers crossed for Moses!!!
I like Moses alot and I would draft him. But I read somewhere he has some character concerns. You know the Rooney's and how they value character. I still would draft him since it seems its minor character concerns. But I'm not in the Steelers draft circle.lol

I think injecting youth into the LB core is needed. But the Dline is aging and alot of the contracts along the Steelers Dline will also be up in the near future. I always wanted the Steelers to find a Richard Seymour type Dlineman. I like that kid from Louisville Amobi Okoye and I think he could play DE in the 3-4. He has graduated from college at the age of 20. He has great character and work ethic. That sounds like a Steeler to me. But there is a great chance he won't there at 15 anyway.
Black@Gold Forever32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 03:04 PM   #17
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned
 
lamberts-lost-tooth's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 10,829
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2363
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: first round pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black and Gold Forever 32 View Post
I like Moses alot and I would draft him. But I read somewhere he has some character concerns. You know the Rooney's and how they value character. I still would draft him since it seems its minor character concerns. But I'm not in the Steelers draft circle.lol

I think injecting youth into the LB core is needed. But the Dline is aging and alot of the contracts along the Steelers Dline will also be up in the near future. I always wanted the Steelers to find a Richard Seymour type Dlineman. I like that kid from Louisville Amobi Okoye and I think he could play DE in the 3-4. He has graduated from college at the age of 20. He has great character and work ethic. That sounds like a Steeler to me. But there is a great chance he won't there at 15 anyway.
I think there are several STRONG prospects that may push talent into the later rounds and may make Moses available to us in the 1st...Adams from Clemson...Crowder from Texas..Johnson from Georgia...Carriker from Nebraska..and Bruce from Washington St
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 02:43 PM   #18
ironmikefan
Water Boy
 
ironmikefan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: s.bloomfield,ohio
Posts: 39
Gender: Male
Member Number: 4870
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: first round pick

first round pick brown OT penn state
ironmikefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 04:43 PM   #19
Steeldude
Living Legend
 
Steeldude's Avatar
Default Re: first round pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillers43 View Post
I will give you three names for those positions that would make me happy with the first pick!
OL- Brown PSU
LB- Poszulney PSU
CB- Revis Pitt
seems a little biased.

posluszny i agree with, but patrick willis might be a better pick because of posluszny's previous knee injuries.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 06:56 PM   #20
Stillers43
Bench Warmer
Supporter
 
Stillers43's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Concord, OH but orginally from New Castle, PA
Posts: 361
Gender: Male
Member Number: 2322
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: first round pick

Yes, a little! I also like Blaylock OL from Texas and Adam Carriker DE from Nebraska. Carriker has the ability to play DE in both a 4-3 and 3-4 defense. That might prove to be key since hiring Tomlin.
__________________

HERE WE GO STEELERS! HERE WE GO!
Stillers43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Shoutbox provided by vBShout v6.2.1 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.0.8 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Navbar with Avatar by Motorradforum
no new posts