Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 12-27-2006, 06:31 PM   #11
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 3,286 Times in 1,290 Posts
Default Re: The Official Bill Cowher's Successor Thread

WHAT IF????

Thats a big what if, Cowher were to take a year off and then come back? Think the Rooneys would let that happen?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 06:49 PM   #12
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrabt View Post
WHAT IF????

Thats a big what if, Cowher were to take a year off and then come back? Think the Rooneys would let that happen?
I think the answer to that, would be YES... providing the Rooney's KNEW that Cowher was coming back. Actually, I think they would even keep him in contract, keep him in the loop, just let him relax.

however, I don't see that happening.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 06:50 PM   #13
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
what we dont know is if cowher was holding ken w's coaching back or if cowher was keeping him in check and preventing more losses. does whiz get credit for the KC game plan? or does he get credit for the baltimore game plans? was opening it up last season in the playoffs cowhers or whiz's idea? we dont know. (im willing to bet the rooneys do though)
And that is the biggest question of all!
Old 12-27-2006, 09:47 PM   #14
Tankus_Maximus
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 519

I've heard 2 distinct rumors on this matter:

1.) Unhappy with the T.O. & Jerry Jones-show in Dallas...The Tuna ends up in Black & Gold.

2.) Unhappy with the current crop o' crap in Tampa...Chucky goes to Pitt.

Hell...I'm a minority..where do I apply? Forget bein a mod here, I wanna be the HC!!
If I get the job I'll name Tony my O-Coordinator!

"I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me." -Rorschach
Tankus_Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:10 PM   #15
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankus_Maximus View Post
I've heard 2 distinct rumors on this matter:

1.) Unhappy with the T.O. & Jerry Jones-show in Dallas...The Tuna ends up in Black & Gold.

2.) Unhappy with the current crop o' crap in Tampa...Chucky goes to Pitt.

Hell...I'm a minority..where do I apply? Forget bein a mod here, I wanna be the HC!!
If I get the job I'll name Tony my O-Coordinator!

WOW... Tuna as a Steeler coach?

DANG... It will either be a boon or bust. No inbetween.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:19 PM   #16
WWIIOwheelz
Team Captain

Member Number: 1323

Whiz or Grimm, won't be anyone else.
WWIIOwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 12:40 AM   #17
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWIIOwheelz View Post
Whiz or Grimm, won't be anyone else.
I hope not... not after this year.
Old 12-28-2006, 04:55 AM   #18
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

In all Honesty i would like to see Coach Cowher stick around. But if he decides to ride off into the sunset,......here are the guys i wouldn't mind seeing as his successor. (In no particular order)

Ron Rivera
Dan Marino
Rod woodson
Jack Lambert
Rob Ryan (Raiders DC)

I know some might be surprised by the former players. (But i honestly believe that their first hand knowledge and or experience of the game is more than enough of a qualification)

"Hail Caesar,.......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 06:45 AM   #19
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

I'm guessing this is where these are supposed to go......

If Cowher leaves, captains prefer in-house successor
Thursday, December 28, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

If the game Sunday is Bill Cowher's last as the Steelers' coach, the team's captains would like to see the team promote from within.

Offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt and offensive line coach Russ Grimm, also the Steelers' assistant head coach, are considered strong candidates to replace Cowher if he steps down after the season.

"Of course, you would love to stay in house," said wide receiver Hines Ward. "The transition ... the coaching staff knows you and you see some of the same faces."

Guard Alan Faneca agreed with his fellow offensive co-captain.

"If there is a change, you'd always like to see a guy you know and have a feeling for. But, if something happens, you never know which way it's going to go."

Continuity on a team that won the Super Bowl fewer than 11 months ago, plus familiarity with systems on offense and defense were cited as big factors for promoting a Steelers assistant to the head-coaching job.

"I would rather keep it in house, keep it familiar with people you know," said linebacker James Farrior, a defensive co-captain. "We wouldn't have to change so much; the systems would probably stay pretty much the same, you might have a few, little differences. Hopefully, the coaching staff would stay together."

Cowher has run a 3-4 defense throughout his 15 seasons as Steelers coach and four different defensive coordinators, including two stints by Dick LeBeau. His offensive styles have changed through the years, from a brute power offense in the early seasons to more balanced offenses, based on the styles of quarterbacks and running backs he has had.

Whisenhunt and Grimm work together on the game plans. Whisenhunt calls the plays from the press box during the game. Grimm, who coaches from the sideline, helps make the adjustments at halftime.

Both men have turned down chances to be head coaches in the NFL.

Grimm was interviewed three years ago by the Chicago Bears but withdrew his name when he was told which assistant coaches he would have to keep. He was a candidate for some jobs last season, including one in Detroit, but the Lions did not want to wait until after the Super Bowl for him.

Whisenhunt might have had the job in St. Louis, but the Rams weren't willing to wait, either. He turned down a chance to become the Oakland Raiders' coach after they interviewed him. His name has surfaced in Atlanta as a candidate to replace Jim Mora if, as expected, he is fired soon after the season ends.

Whisenhunt, 44, was born in Atlanta, played at Georgia Tech and played his first four seasons in the NFL as a tight end for the Falcons.

First things first with the Steelers, though -- there will be no candidates for the head coaching job unless Cowher vacates it, and none of the team captains said he knows what his head coach will do.

"I don't think anyone in this locker room wants it to be his last game," said defensive co-captain Joey Porter. "In situations like that, not one of us has an impact on how that's going to go. You just kind of stay out of that situation.

"That's the man's business and, hopefully he's here and until he tells me anything different, that's what I'm planning on."

Said Ward, "If he decides to leave, that's his right. Nobody's twisting your arm and saying you have to stay in coaching. He's been here for [15] years. Let's appreciate a coach can stay with one organization that long rather than worrying "Is this his last year? Are the S teelers doomed because Cowher is leaving?'

"Let's just go out and play this game and see what happens when he decides to make his decision."

Faneca believes there won't be an upheaval even if the Steelers do not hire from within.

"I think the organization as a whole is pretty solid and strong. You're not going to see a lot of turmoil like you see in other organizations. If something were to change, it's always going to lean back to how the organization feels; I think it will be pretty steady and smooth."

Talk about Cowher's situation has picked up in the locker room the past few weeks.

"It's one of those things that there are so many questions out there, obviously with coach Cowher," said quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. "... With this last game coming up, it's going to be interesting to see what happens afterward."

Roethlisberger said he's realizing that the game Sunday could be his last under Cowher.

"A little bit. It's starting to set in a little bit. No one knows but him what's going to happen."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06362/749503-66.stm

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 12-28-2006 at 06:56 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 06:49 AM   #20
83-Steelers-43
Living Legend

Member Number: 1009

Who could replace Cowher?

By Mike Prisuta
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, December 28, 2006

The Steelers no doubt have already begun to contemplate their next move in the event Bill Cowher calls it quits following the regular-season finale.

Once that becomes official, they'll be on the clock and confronting the most pivotal decision the organization has faced since Cowher was hired in January 1992.

History suggests the Steelers will go outside the organization in identifying Cowher's replacement.

Practicality suggests they'll promote from within to maintain continuity after winning the Super Bowl a year ago.

The direction in which the Steelers head will reveal how dedicated they are to their process, and whether they concluded that this year's team underachieved or regressed in failing to defend its title.

In 1969 they hired Chuck Noll, then a defensive coach with Baltimore (there were no such things as coordinators at the time).

In 1992 they turned to Cowher, then the defensive coordinator in Kansas City.

The two first-time head coaches combined to win five Super Bowls and last a combined 37 seasons, giving credence to the theory that being able to identify a rising star in the profession can pay huge dividends.

Also interviewed, among others, as the search for Noll's successor played out were John Fox (then Noll's defensive backfield coach), Dennis Green, Mike Holmgren and Dave Wannstedt.

The Steelers knew what they were doing, as far as identifying rising stars in the industry.

They were also coming off a 7-9 season, their second straight without qualifying for the playoffs.

They might wind up 7-9 this season, too, but would a sub-.500 finish or even an 8-8 record stand as an indictment of the team as it presently functions, or merely confirm that the 2006 Steelers underachieved?

If 2006 is viewed as an aberration, the organizational response figures to be more of a tweak than a shakeup. That's a conclusion that lost some credibility when the Steelers got pummeled for a second consecutive time by the new heavyweight in the AFC North Division, the Baltimore Ravens.

Still, it's an argument that might be viewed as viable, given the circumstances of Ben Roethlisberger's offseason and preseason and all those turnovers.

The Steelers had some star power in 1991 with players such as Dermontti Dawson, Carnell Lake, Greg Lloyd and Rod Woodson, and they drafted Levon Kirkland in 1992, all of whom would go on to play in Super Bowl XXX following the conclusion of the 1995 campaign.

Cowher won a division title in his first season, confirming that a shakeup after the Noll era was in order.

The Steelers, likewise, had plenty of star power in 2006, including Alan Faneca, Casey Hampton, Willie Parker, Roethlisberger, Aaron Smith and Troy Polamalu, all of whom played in and won Super Bowl XL last February.

This situation calls for a tweak.

Promoting either assistant head coach/offensive line coach Russ Grimm or offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt would make the most sense once the due diligence of trying to catch a rising star in the profession has been completed.

The pickings elsewhere might be a little slim after 10 new coaches were hired heading into this season and only three of them (Dick Jauron in Buffalo, Herm Edwards in Kansas City and Art Shell in Oakland) were retreads.

The assistant with the most appeal league-wide this offseason will be San Diego offensive coordinator Cam Cameron.

The Steelers already have such a coach (Whisenhunt). They'd be better served sticking with what they know works, and with a coach who already has a working relationship with defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau.

The Steelers found life after Noll and will again after Cowher.

They'll find it quicker with a relatively seamless transition.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_486002.html

Last edited by 83-Steelers-43; 12-28-2006 at 07:00 AM.
83-Steelers-43 is offline   Reply With Quote