Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-12-2007, 10:30 PM   #1
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541
Default Big Ben at Phoenix Suns Practice

http://www.nba.com/suns/news/report_070109.html

"Big Ben" a Big Fan of Suns Offense

By Brad G. Faye, Suns.com
Posted: Jan. 11, 2007

Steve Nash invited another great passer to Suns shootaround on Tuesday, this one in the form of Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. One year removed from a Super Bowl championship, Roethlisberger made his way to US Airways Center as a guest of the NBA's MVP, to watch the league?s fastest team up close and personal.

"Steve met Ben last year at the Celebrity Fight Night and found out he was a big basketball fan," Head athletic trainer and lifelong Steelers fan Aaron Nelson said. "They got to talking and when Ben was in town for the BCS Championship Game, he gave him a call and Steve invited him to the shootaround. He came down and it was pretty awesome, a nice surprise."

Nash laughed, ?Aaron is the biggest Steelers fan in the world and gets on all our nerves about it. It was fun for us to watch him fold like a little school girl when he saw his hero walk in.?

Donning the Suns? orange practice gear, Roethlisberger not only shared some gridiron stories with the guys, but participated in a full workout, from game film to drills to jump shots.

?For a football player, he wears the uniform really well,? Suns assistant coach Alvin Gentry laughed. ?We wanted to sign him to a 10-day contract but figured the Steelers wouldn?t go for it.

?He?s a real standup guy and a good guy to be around. He really seems to enjoy the game and it was good having him out here talking about being a champion at such an early age and what it took to get there.?

Last year, Roethlisberger became the youngest starting quarterback in NFL history to win a Super Bowl, guiding Pittsburgh to its first Super Bowl victory in 26 years. The man nicknamed "Big Ben" did it primarily with a strong arm, one which helped him finish third that season with a 98.6 passer rating. Known for his ability to toss the pigskin on the football field, the former Miami of Ohio standout feels this Suns team isn?t too bad at distributing the ball themselves.

?They?re my favorite team to watch because of the way they play,? Roethlisberger said. ?Flying up and down the court, making unbelievable passes, they?re almost like a Harlem Globetrotter team in the way they play, which is just so much fun to watch.?

"It was great having him come out," Nelson said. "It was funny to see all the players and coaches that aren't Steelers fans run up to try and get autographs and pictures. Everybody goes from giving me a hard time for being a Steelers fan to being their biggest fan, so it was pretty funny."

Following the Super Bowl victory, the 2006 NFL season did not go as planned for the Steelers. The team suffered a number of injuries, finishing with an 8-8 record and failing to make the playoffs.

"Ben had a tremendous season a couple years ago but had a few injuries this year which set him back," Kurt Thomas said. "He's a tremendous leader and I expect a lot from the Steelers in the next five to 10 years. I'm still always going to be a Cowboys fan though, Cowboys all the way."

As far as who?s the better overall passer between two-time NBA MVP and the NFL quarterback, the Suns point guard doesn?t hesitate to answer.

?Oh, it?s Ben,? Nash admitted. ?I don?t have guys trying to kill me when I pass the ball.?

Passing for 17 touchdowns and more than 2,000 yards during that championship season, Roethlisberger like so many great athletes takes more pride in his ability to win rather than personal accolades. Already with one Super Bowl under his belt, the quarterback says he certainly sees this Suns team capable of winning a title of their own.

?Without question, this is a championship team, and hopefully it?s this year,? Roethlisberger said. ?They?ve got great leaders and no selfish players. They?re very team oriented, love to play the game and love to be around each other, which is a deadly combination.?

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:35 PM   #2
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,057 Times in 2,604 Posts
Default Re: Big Ben at Phoenix Suns Practice

in other news, half a dozen bengals players were spotted in denver as guests of carmello anthony in an attempt to score "tha kine bud" that has become so popular with bengals and nba stars.

suprisingly the whizzinator was nowhere to be seen.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 10:38 PM   #3
PAMillerGrrl83
Starter

Member Number: 3274

....Bens hair looks orange or rust colored or something it just looks off.

~*Heath Miller: Honakers Finest*~
PAMillerGrrl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 01:12 AM   #4
MJ5150
Starter

Member Number: 3203

Cool story. A dream come true for Aaron.

-Mike
MJ5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 07:34 AM   #5
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR7SteelersBabe86 View Post

probably entering his offseason party mode. i hope he trains and studies this offseason instead of the partying. the guy has become stagnant in his growth as a QB.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 07:48 AM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,667 Times in 2,620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?teeldude View Post
probably entering his offseason party mode. i hope he trains and studies this offseason instead of the partying. the guy has become stagnant in his growth as a QB.
As long as he gets back to business by late winter, I think the best thing he can do after all that has happened over the last 12 months is to get away from football completely for a while.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:46 AM   #7
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
As long as he gets back to business by late winter, I think the best thing he can do after all that has happened over the last 12 months is to get away from football completely for a while.
...and keep the motorcycle's in the garage.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:30 AM   #8
ExtonSteelFan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1867

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR7SteelersBabe86 View Post
He probably dyed it phoenix suns orange on purpose!
Old 01-13-2007, 10:56 AM   #9
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?teeldude View Post

"Hail Caesar,.......HAIL THE BLACK AND GOLD"
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 11:54 AM   #10
nicesteel4life
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1775

Comon guys! If we went through half of what Ben went through last year we would still be laying on the couch and drawing AFLAX. Cut the guy some slack. I agree take a month off and relax. Then back to the Game, which we all love. NO MOTORCYCLES is my only request!