Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-14-2007, 06:34 AM   #1
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478
Default New England Patriots @ San Diego Chargers

Post your pre-game/ in-game thoughts here ladies and gents.

Some thought I have regarding this game.

1. New England has only lost one playoff game in 12 attempts under Brady/Belichick.

2. In that game against Denver they were penalised 8 times for 82 yards, lost 3 fumbles and threw 2 INTs - literally throwing the game away.

3. The San Diego D is good but over-rated - giving up 19ppg, compared to the Patriots 15 ppg.

4. The Patriots offense has improved dramatically toward the end of the season.

Patriots averaged 24 ppg over the season but have averaged over 35ppg over the last 4 games.

5. The San Diego offense has faltered toward the end of the season averaging barely over 21 ppg, after averaging just under 31 ppg for the season as a whole.

6. If its a close game coming into the 4th - it will be a case of immovable object (Patriots D ranked #1 4th quarter D) against the irresistable object (Chargers #1 4th quarter offense)

I wont go into the playoff record of the two coaches as it has already been beaten to death by the media, the same as LT's awesome year has.

At the start of the year, I said I thought the Chargers were one of the most talented teams across the board in the NFL - I think its fair to say they have the most raw talent altogether in the NFL.

However, the playoffs have are all about transforming that talent into production under enormous pressure - the Patriots have a proven history of being able to do that, the Chargers haven't ............yet.

Looking forward to a fantastic game against a team I have alot of respect for.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.

Last edited by Livinginthe past; 01-14-2007 at 06:40 AM.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:18 AM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: New England Patriots @ San Diego Chargers

For so many reasons, I believe the Bolts are the best team in the AFC - hell probably the NFL. They are also 8-0 at home this season and I think are just the stronger team across the board. The final punch - L.T. - need I say more?

Bolts - 27
Pats - 21

Good luck today Pats, LITP and HW.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:24 AM   #3
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
For so many reasons, I believe the Bolts are the best team in the AFC - hell probably the NFL. They are also 8-0 at home this season and I think are just the stronger team across the board. The final punch - L.T. - need I say more?

Bolts - 27
Pats - 21

Good luck today Pats, LITP and HW.
Thanks HTG

I think that the winner of todays game becomes the de facto best team in the NFL (and automatic SB favorite in San Diego's case with HFA).

Should be a great game - lots of fascinating match ups.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:25 AM   #4
LarryNJ
Starter

Member Number: 2857

The main thing on the Pats mind will be to stop LT. If the Chargers come out and open it up from the first series (like the Steelers did in the playoffs last year) Rivers will be successful and the Chargers should win. If they play conservative in the beginning I think the Pats stop them and win.

I think it will be a good game and more fun to watch than the 1:00 game. I have a feeling the Chargers win but I'd never bet my hard earned money against Mr. Brady.
LarryNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:46 AM   #5
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

I like the Bolts better today. I like LT, and Rivers winning a Super Bowl would make Eli look like even more of a chump (and make Buffalo and JP Losman my second choice for next year ). Plus the Chargers haven't won one yet and it would be nice to see someone new.

But New England winning wouldn't be too bad, since they have all those LSU guys on their roster. And Indy has Addai, and since I'm not a Peyton hater I'd like them too.

As long as the ratbirds are gone, it's cool. Too bad McNair has to be stuck with such a classless organization.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:24 AM   #6
NV STEELERS 723
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2572

SD is my 2nd fav team...grew up in Cali...I was either "Glue fingers Jefferson" ,Swann, or Stallworth playing football in grade school....

My heart today w/ be with the Bolts....

But the Pats record is too tough to bet against.... I'm taking the Pats +5 today... and I'm taking Seattle +9 also..
My brother in-law is from Boston, and a Pats fan...its just gonna kill me today if they win....BUT my pocket will be full !
NV STEELERS 723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 09:35 AM   #7
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Toss the indicators, this will be the best game of the weekend (especially after that Colt-Ravens stinker). It will be decided on the last play, IMO... and that gives the edge to the Pats. Brady & Belichick can go 60 yards in 30 seconds; Rivers and Schottenheimer would need about 90 seconds.

I think the Chargers are the better team, but the better team doesn't always win.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:15 AM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,730 Times in 2,916 Posts

alot has been made of p. rivers being able to handle the playoff pressure. he was the mvp of 5 college bowl games. that kind of shows that as a freshman, he was able to come in to the big games and perform and continue that success for 4 more years. but this is the nfl. in his 1st year starting he was able to go 14-2. the monday night game against the sb champion steelers was a big game that had a playoff atmosphere, and indeed winning that game couldve put the steelers into the playoffs, just like the year prior, the chargers losing to the steelers kept them out.

the great tom brady and the great big ben even struggled in their 1st playoff game, but with a good supporting cast they were able to win.

one concern is coming off the bye week. yesterday both home teams offense looked a little sluggish in the 1st half. the ravens could never get it going, and the saints showed they have the offensive firepower to pick it up. neither d. brees or j. garcia have been regulars in the playoffs but that lack of experience didnt seem to bother either of them. they just went out and played it like a regular game.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:16 AM   #9
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
Post your pre-game/ in-game thoughts here ladies and gents.

Some thought I have regarding this game.

1. New England has only lost one playoff game in 12 attempts under Brady/Belichick.

2. In that game against Denver they were penalised 8 times for 82 yards, lost 3 fumbles and threw 2 INTs - literally throwing the game away.

3. The San Diego D is good but over-rated - giving up 19ppg, compared to the Patriots 15 ppg.

4. The Patriots offense has improved dramatically toward the end of the season.

Patriots averaged 24 ppg over the season but have averaged over 35ppg over the last 4 games.

5. The San Diego offense has faltered toward the end of the season averaging barely over 21 ppg, after averaging just under 31 ppg for the season as a whole.

6. If its a close game coming into the 4th - it will be a case of immovable object (Patriots D ranked #1 4th quarter D) against the irresistable object (Chargers #1 4th quarter offense)

I wont go into the playoff record of the two coaches as it has already been beaten to death by the media, the same as LT's awesome year has.

At the start of the year, I said I thought the Chargers were one of the most talented teams across the board in the NFL - I think its fair to say they have the most raw talent altogether in the NFL.

However, the playoffs have are all about transforming that talent into production under enormous pressure - the Patriots have a proven history of being able to do that, the Chargers haven't ............yet.

Looking forward to a fantastic game against a team I have alot of respect for.

NM
I smell a Patriots win.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 12:22 PM   #10
boLT fan
Team Captain

Member Number: 901

SD - 31
NE - 27

There'll be more offense than people think in this game.

Have fun watching the game, LITP, I know I will
boLT fan is offline   Reply With Quote