Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 01-15-2007, 08:22 AM   #1
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313
Default "The Rooney Rule"

I really question how well the rooney rule has worked. Out of 32 nfl teams there are only 5 nfl minority head coaches. Last year when there were 9 coaching openings only two went to minoritys. And it could be argued that art shell was hired as quite simply a lame duck head coach. Even Mr rooney himself doesnt look like he is in position to hire a minority head coach.
I worked for ups and had the ability to decide who I want to hire and fire. And i've never had to comply with any minority hiring regulations so I dont know why the nfl would have too.
I think needs to examine this policy and see how effective it really is.
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:41 AM   #2
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751
Default Re: "The Rooney Rule"

I dunno, last year there were seven black head coaches; Dungy, Lewis, Smith, Shell, Green, Edwards, and Crennel. Dungy, Smith, and Edwards got their teams into the playoffs. Lewis has a decent team. Shell did the best he could with what he had. Green is a failure, and the book isn't written yet on Crennel; next year is make or break for him. I think he's a pretty good coach, myself.

It looks to me like they are about as successful as white head coaches. I don't know what the answer is Big D.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 08:43 AM   #3
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
I dunno, last year there were seven black head coaches; Dungy, Lewis, Smith, Shell, Green, Edwards, and Crennel. Dungy, Smith, and Edwards got their teams into the playoffs. Lewis has a decent team. Shell did the best he could with what he had. Green is a failure, and the book isn't written yet on Crennel; next year is make or break for him. I think he's a pretty good coach, myself.

It looks to me like they are about as successful as white head coaches. I don't know what the answer is Big D.

Tom
My point is this. You break that down. at the highest peak only 30% of coaches have been minoritys. Look at the nba that number is much higher and could be nearly half.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:53 AM   #4
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
My point is this. You break that down. at the highest peak only 30% of coaches have been minoritys. Look at the nba that number is much higher and could be nearly half.

I agree, given the number of savvy leadership type guys in the NFL, you'd think that there would be more opportunity. I think the Rooney Rule was adopted to break up the "old boy network" of coaches that keep getting recycled, but I don't think it's worked. Here's a link to a pretty good article I found while researching a little bit (so that I wouldn't post something stupid). It's a year old, nothing has changed in the last year.

Tom
------------------------------------------------------

John P. Lopez

Jan. 21, 2006, 1:15AM
Rooney Rule not working like it should

By JOHN P. LOPEZ
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

IT'S easy to be happy for former Texans coach Dom Capers having a chance to interview with the Buffalo Bills on Friday.

Capers is one of the finest men and truest professionals the NFL will ever know.

But he also was 2-14 last season.

And thus, onward the NFL goes into the 21st century, waving the so-called Rooney Rule high and proud with one hand, clutching old habits with the other.

One step forward, two steps back?

The league has tripped all over itself recently as it has hailed the success of its Rooney Rule, which requires teams to interview minority candidates unless an assistant is being promoted from within.

But given the opportunity to build on success stories such as those of Tony Dungy and Marvin Lewis, owners now are backpedaling.

Quality candidates ignored

They are offering token looks at candidates to satisfy the Rooney Rule, but turning to NFL retreads or young, white coaches whose qualifications don't compare with assistants such as Chicago's Ron Rivera, Cleveland's Maurice Carthon or the New York Giants' Tim Lewis.

Let's be clear on one thing: NFL owners should not be told to "hire black," so to speak. Or brown.

For the good of their team's prospects, however, they should be told to look at the entire field of candidates equally. Why limit resources?

But it seems that despite the Rooney Rule's intent, the field remains tilted.

And owners are seeing things that just are not there when it comes to the best-qualified candidates.

How does Capers, off a horrendous 2-14 year, get an interview in Buffalo, but Jerry Gray, who just finished his fifth season as Bills defensive coordinator, is told he would not be considered? And then Gray also is told to look elsewhere for a job by new GM Marv Levy.

Until this season when injuries riddled the Bills' defense, Gray led a squad that finished second in the league in fewest yards allowed in 2003 and 2004. His defense also led the league with 39 turnovers in 2004.

Breakthroughs unlikely

There have been 10 NFL head coaching opportunities available this season, a remarkable number even in the high-turnover pro football market.

Not counting Herman Edwards heading to Kansas City from the New York Jets, who received a fourth-round pick for allowing him to move on, it's likely no other job will be filled by a minority.

This comes after the 2005 regular season proved emphatically that when NFL owners expand their horizons and imaginations, good things can happen.

Three of the best stories in football this year ? Cincinnati's rise, Indianapolis' flirtation with perfection and the Bears' return to bruising prominence ? were authored by black head coaches.

The NFL took great pride this year in noting as much, hailing the Rooney Rule as one of its great successes.

Lewis, Dungy and Lovie Smith took their teams to the playoffs. Two of the other three minority head coaches in the league ? Edwards and Dennis Green ? also have taken teams to the playoffs. And Cleveland's Romeo Crennel, leader of the New England Patriots' Super Bowl defenses, improved the Browns in his first season as head coach.

So how did the league's owners respond to the success stories? By returning to the same old story: Token interviews and questionable hires, not one of which likely will be a minority.

Gray and Rivera interviewed for the vacant Green Bay Packers job. Both are eminently more qualified than the man the Pack hired, Mike McCarthy, who guided the league's worst offense (224 yards per game) and 30th-ranked scoring offense (14.9 points per game) last year. When McCarthy was Packers quarterbacks coach in 1999, Brett Favre had the worst season of his prime, throwing 23 interceptions to 22 touchdowns.

When Rivera and Gray heard the news of McCarthy's hire, they must have responded like most Packers fans. Huh? Whaaa?

Individually, the NFL's hires this postseason certainly can be justified by those who made them ? some legitimately so, like the Texans picking Gary Kubiak. Considering what the Texans need, what Kubiak offers and his credentials, he was the perfect pick.

But as a whole, the league must be embarrassed over how this remarkable year for coaching opportunities will end.

Of the 10 openings, nine could be first-time NFL head coaches. Not one of those will be a minority.

The Rams hired Scott Linehan, a quality, talented offensive mind. But compared to Colts assistant head coach Jim Caldwell, a 13-year NFL coaching veteran who helped guide one of league's best offenses, Linehan's qualifications do not compare.

The Vikings wasted no time hiring Brad Childress, the former Philadelphia Eagles offensive coordinator known as something of a disciplinarian. But compared to the Giants' Tim Lewis, Rivera or Carthon, the credentials are at best a wash.

The NFL has talked a lot about how proud it is of the Rooney Rule.

But this has not been a proud postseason.

john.lopez@chron.com
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:45 AM   #5
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

The Rooney Rule only says you have to interview at least 1 minority for the HC position.

Owners have every right to higher whomever they want to coach thier team.Look at the Lions when they highered Mooch,that was the guy they wanted from the get-go.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:00 AM   #6
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

A couple of inconsistancies in this article....

First off ...it bases its foundation and conclusion on the final records of coaches hired...It is not a racial problem if a team hires a bad white coach...its stupidity.

Second ..they make the mistake of saying other than Herm Edwards..no minority would be hired last year ..when in reality Dennis Green was hired..as was Art Shell...a full 33% of the hirings last year going to minorities.

The Rooney rule IS working...obviously!!!..You just can no more factor in Dom Capers bad season being a slight against a deserving minority..than you can Art Shells bad season being a slight against a white coach.

Last edited by lamberts-lost-tooth; 01-15-2007 at 10:08 AM.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:38 AM   #7
ARKIESTEEL
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 2268

Should the % be higher than the % of the population 33% vs 13%?????

BIG FAT ARKIESTEEL
ARKIESTEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:39 AM   #8
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
The Rooney Rule only says you have to interview at least 1 minority for the HC position.

Owners have every right to higher whomever they want to coach thier team.Look at the Lions when they highered Mooch,that was the guy they wanted from the get-go.
yeah and the lions were fined and stripped of draft picks.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:47 AM   #9
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARKIESTEEL View Post
Should the % be higher than the % of the population 33% vs 13%?????
Actual amount of Minority head coaches last year was 7 of 32...which is 21.75 %...still over the projected goal

Romeo Crennel at Cleveland, Lovie Smith at Chicago, Marvin Lewis at Cincinnati, Herman Edwards at Kansas City, Tony Dungy at Indianapolis, Dennis Green at Arizona and Art Shell at Oakland Raiders.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:52 AM   #10
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Actual amount of Minority head coaches last year was 7 of 32...which is 21.75 %...still over the projected goal

Romeo Crennel at Cleveland, Lovie Smith at Chicago, Marvin Lewis at Cincinnati, Herman Edwards at Kansas City, Tony Dungy at Indianapolis, Dennis Green at Arizona and Art Shell at Oakland Raiders.
that is still an extreamly low number.