Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

View Poll Results: Who do you take as the Steelers NEW HEAD COACH
Russ Grimm 21 40.38%
Mike Tomlin 16 30.77%
Ron Rivera 15 28.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-16-2007, 12:24 PM   #1
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398
Default It's a race of 3

http://news.steelers.com/article/73503/

Monday, January 15, 2007
PITTSBURGH ? Today, the Pittsburgh Steelers narrowed the list of candidates for their head coaching position to three, Russ Grimm, Ron Rivera and Mike Tomlin.

Mike Tomlin will come in on Tuesday for his second interview. Russ Grimm will have his second interview on Wednesday. Due to NFL rules, Ron Rivera will not be able to interview with the Steelers for a second time until the conclusion of the Chicago Bears' season.

Steelers President Art Rooney II issued the following statement regarding the team's head coaching search:
"We are pleased with the progress of our search to date. We now will move into the second interview phase and we are confident that each of the candidates on our short list will be excellent head coaches in the NFL. It is our task to determine which one is the best candidate for the Pittsburgh Steelers at this point in time. Our time frame remains as was stated at the beginning. We will conclude the search when we have found the best coach for the Pittsburgh Steelers."

Looking at the list, knowing that we've struggled on both sides of the ball, who would you take? Do you take the old O-line player and coach, or stick to the defensive side of the ball?

Me I'm leaning towards Rivera because of his defense in Chicago. But what would this mean for Dickie LeBeau? Is he done?

I was concerned the last time we had a coaching change (man I was barely out of high school then). I was scared we would bring in a re-tread. But, now - today, I rest easy that the Rooney's are looking for the next Super Bowl winning coach, maybe the next coach to rise a dynasty from the ashes of a hell bent season!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 12:51 PM   #2
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645
Default Re: It's a race of 3

If we don't keep LeBeau then that tells me we are starting from scratch. And I'm emotionally underwhelmed with Grimm as head coach right now. Actually all three.

The Bears have a good defense. But 'da Bears gave up 142 points in their last six games (all NFC) against only 1 team with a winning record - Seattle at 9-7. Hardly stellar defense. Sure picking up the pieces for Baby Rex kills.

I'd like to see a poll for the other titanic hole the Steelers need to fill. Offensive coordinator.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 01:26 PM   #3
pitt
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 474

Grimm seems best for the job.
Old 01-16-2007, 04:57 PM   #4
slashsteel

Member Number:

I think the Bears had a unusual amount of injuries happen on D and then you have the fact they didn't have much to play for being locked into the bye. I look at the DC's track record, and in doing so I wouldn't mind seeing him get the nod. Rivera for head coach get the signs ready! :)
Old 01-16-2007, 04:59 PM   #5
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashsteel View Post
I think the Bears had a unusual amount of injuries happen on D and then you have the fact they didn't have much to play for being locked into the bye. I look at the DC's track record, and in doing so I wouldn't mind seeing him get the nod. Rivera for head coach get the signs ready! :)
My problem with rivera is he played in a powder puff division and conference. And I would prefer someone younger then 45.
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:06 PM   #6
slashsteel

Member Number:

D Grimm isn't young either. That powder puff team is one win away from the SB by the way. Out of curiousity who is your choice ? ?
Old 01-16-2007, 05:06 PM   #7
fergusonat
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 874

My vote goes for Grimm...seems safer to stay within the organization.

So there was "The Emperor"
Then the "Jaw"
Now...the "Grimm Reaper?"

Old 01-16-2007, 05:07 PM   #8
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Oh man........HTG is gonna get you now......

I am IN-NO-CENT!!!!!!!!!!!!
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:08 PM   #9
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashsteel View Post
D Grimm isn't young either. That powder puff team is one win away from the SB by the way. Out of curiousity who is your choice ? ?
I'm not trying to stir the pot with you slash. But the nfc is an extreamly week conference. Mike Tomlin is my choice
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:25 PM   #10
slashsteel

Member Number:

No just a discussion no worries. Tomlin's team was tied for last in defending the pass. And the Vikings didn't do much as a team. Seems to me he sold out against the run and the pass suffered in result. I see he is young. I understand you probably want a young coach who is going to be around for a while ? But IMO you have to pick the best candidate for the team. And Russ and Rivera are stronger candidates. In my eyes of course.

Last edited by slashsteel; 01-16-2007 at 05:31 PM.