Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 01-17-2007, 08:12 AM   #1
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917
Default Something is shady about the "Rooney Rule"

Look...I am not saying that Tomlin and Rivera are not legit candidates, they most definitely are. But it seems like the Rooneys know all along that they will hire Grimm, and are elaborating the process and extending the interviews with Tomlin and Rivera to give them chances elsewhere as a headcoach in the NFL. Also to show that they take this rule very seriously. I probably am way off because the Rooneys always take a long time to pick their HC...just a thought though.

Last edited by Infamix; 01-17-2007 at 08:17 AM.
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:38 AM   #2
WWIIOwheelz
Team Captain

Member Number: 1323
Default Re: Something is shady about the "Rooney Rule"

Honestly, I don't think that at all.

On one hand, I see how Russ would be an ideal candidate who brings a wealth of experience, football knowledge, local appeal, and commands respect already from his players. There's no question he would make a great coach for the Steelers.

On the other hand, how long would he have his edge? Close to 50 starting out as a head coach seems to be against the trend of teams building programs around energetic young coaches. As has been said many times, the Steelers were one of the first to do just that with Cowher all those years ago.

Like the Rooneys said, all 3 of the finalists are worthy of the job. I'm particularly impressed with Tomlin, think he will make a great coach wherever he goes.
WWIIOwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:39 AM   #3
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamix View Post
Look...I am not saying that Tomlin and Rivera are not legit candidates, they most definitely are. But it seems like the Rooneys know all along that they will hire Grimm, and are elaborating the process and extending the interviews with Tomlin and Rivera to give them chances elsewhere as a headcoach in the NFL. Also to show that they take this rule very seriously. I probably am way off because the Rooneys always take a long time to pick their HC...just a thought though.
I have to disagree. I dont think rivera or tomlin would have been brought in for a second interview if this was the case.
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:44 AM   #4
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWIIOwheelz View Post
Honestly, I don't think that at all.

On one hand, I see how Russ would be an ideal candidate who brings a wealth of experience, football knowledge, local appeal, and commands respect already from his players. There's no question he would make a great coach for the Steelers.

On the other hand, how long would he have his edge? Close to 50 starting out as a head coach seems to be against the trend of teams building programs around energetic young coaches. As has been said many times, the Steelers were one of the first to do just that with Cowher all those years ago.

Like the Rooneys said, all 3 of the finalists are worthy of the job. I'm particularly impressed with Tomlin, think he will make a great coach wherever he goes.
I agree completely..I think grimm will get the job (mainly becuse of existing ties and knowledge of the system)..but I think Tomlin is the real deal!!!
Rivera is the crapshoot as fa as I am concerned...two seasons with EXTREMELY easy schedules have elevated his defenses numbers...so I am not sold on him yet.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:51 AM   #5
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
I agree completely..I think grimm will get the job (mainly becuse of existing ties and knowledge of the system)..but I think Tomlin is the real deal!!!
Rivera is the crapshoot as fa as I am concerned...two seasons with EXTREMELY easy schedules have elevated his defenses numbers...so I am not sold on him yet.
I think that this coaching search is very similar to the search that led the steelers to get cowher. I think they have a great canidate with grimm. But I think in the end it will be tomlin
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:55 AM   #6
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917

You guys are right...especially about Tomlin he will be a great coach. I agree with LLT about Rivera though...he definitely had a cake schedule.
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:25 AM   #7
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

how can they go with Tomlin or Rivera???? They would have to totally revamp most of their defensive personnel and much of the existing 3-4 coaching staff....

Casey Hampton playing the DT in the 3-4 grades out high every game... Not sure how he would handle such a major scheme change.

Kiesel and Smith are above average DE in the 3-4.... I dont think they would have too much success as pass rushing ends.

The 4-3 relies heavily on the MLB.... Larry Foote is not built to play like Urlacher, Lewis, or Z Thomas..... but he is a highly effective 3-4 LB

Let me put it another way.... How can you do something that is going to cost you Dick Lebeau as your D coordinator?????

Get Grimm and lets focus on the financially driven personnel moves that must be made.

Wouldnt it be nice if those things were done before the draft?
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:28 AM   #8
rags1336
Water Boy

Member Number: 4675

The Rooney rule does not require a second interview. If the Rooneys really wanted Grimm as bad as the media makes it out to be they would have interviewed Tomlin one time and then hired Grimm the next day. The media is making it out like there is really only one choice, Grimm. But if you listen to what the Rooneys actually say then you will see that they are seriously considering all three.
rags1336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:33 AM   #9
rags1336
Water Boy

Member Number: 4675

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachspeak33 View Post
how can they go with Tomlin or Rivera???? They would have to totally revamp most of their defensive personnel and much of the existing 3-4 coaching staff....

Casey Hampton playing the DT in the 3-4 grades out high every game... Not sure how he would handle such a major scheme change.

Kiesel and Smith are above average DE in the 3-4.... I dont think they would have too much success as pass rushing ends.

The 4-3 relies heavily on the MLB.... Larry Foote is not built to play like Urlacher, Lewis, or Z Thomas..... but he is a highly effective 3-4 LB

Let me put it another way.... How can you do something that is going to cost you Dick Lebeau as your D coordinator?????

Get Grimm and lets focus on the financially driven personnel moves that must be made.

Did you see the Tomlin interview yesterday? He said he believes in being adaptable and playing to the players strengths, eventually he might switch totally to the 4-3 but there needs to be a transition period and I dont necessarily think he will get rid of Lebeau, the Rooney's like Lebeau and they will strongly suggest to whoever comes in that he stays. Other than your fear of change is there anything that you like about Grimm personally, or do you just like that he was a part of Cowher's staff and somehow it would seem like Cowher was still coaching the team?
rags1336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:36 AM   #10
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachspeak33 View Post

Though it is a possibility...I think it is unlikely that a coach will come in and immediatly change the defensive scheme. If he is smart enough to be an NFL head coach..he is smart enough to see that he doesnt have the personnel to go 4-3 (and thereby shoot himself and his record in the foot)
Dick has said that he wants to stay and regardless of who gets the HC job..they will be blessed to have him as a Defensive coordinator...and again that would mean staying 3-4.

The FIRST thing any HC will do is start worrying about getting an Offensive Coordinator...and working our Offense into a new scheme...I cant see us having to change BOTh Offense and Defensive schemes
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote