Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 01-17-2007, 11:03 AM   #11
Dook
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 906
Default Re: depth chart & salary cacp offers clues to offseason

I think the free agent list has more clues to the offseason than the depth chart or salary cap.

Steelers 2008 Free Agents
CB Ricardo Colclough RFA
OT Trai Essex RFA
OG Alan Faneca
LB Clark Haggans
DE Travis Kirschke
FB Dan Kreider
S Troy Polamalu RFA
LB Joey Porter
OG Kendall Simmons
DE Aaron Smith
LB Rian Wallace RFA
WR Nate Washington RFA

The big names are Porter, Haggans, Polamalu, and Faneca. I don't think either Porter or Haggans will stay with the team because of age, reduced performance, and mostly because they've priced themselves out of a job. If either wishes to take a pay cut then they might remain with the team but I don't see it. I think James Harrison is Porter's replacement for 2-4 years so the need for LB's is not a big as first thought.

We might look at free agency for an LB and we'll probably take one OLB and an ILB in the draft. I'm not as big on the 1st rounder LB's as others are, Patrick Willis and Lawrence Timmons are the only two I think might be 1st round worth to us at this time. Plenty of good LB will be available in the later rounds, Everett, Alexander, Blades, Waters, Bishop, Taylor, Ismail.

I think we keep Faneca for a few more years despite his age. I think we keep Aaron Smith but we'll draft a DE. And Troy's not going anywhere.

Simmons has always been our weakest lineman, I think this year Kemo will start ahead of him and we'll draft a guard as well. I like OG Kurt Quarterman in the 4th.

Remember we have 9 or maybe 10 picks this year (either two 4th comp. or a 4th and a 5th) so we're going to have plenty of opportunity to draft needs. I don't believe that the 1st round LB's and OL are significantly better than the 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th round ones so I'm looking more toward drafting a playmaker in the 1st, either WR Jarrett or RB Lynch. CB Revis is also high on my list of 1st rounders.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:05 AM   #12
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

bcrabt,
No doubt we need another QUALITY running back....

Verron has proven that he is only consistent at being inconsistent!!!!
Najeh had injury problems during his entire stay in GB and i dont trust any player from "THA U"

Sometimes when you have a quality organization with good scouts who provide good depth you can fill holes from within.... hell, look at Willie Parker

I firmly believe the we need to look outside our organization to fill this hole.... A hole by the way that killed way too many drives this season
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:25 AM   #13
Steeldude
Living Legend

the aging LBs should have been addressed years ago. the steelers became content with average LBs.

porter - old, overpriced, inconsistent and overrated. a product of the steelers' 3-4 defense.

haggans - getting old, but still a few miles left. just an average LB.

farrior - getting old. lost a couple of steps.

foote - does anyone get mowed down more than this guy? weak LB who is a product of the system. does he ever collect any stuffs?

1. LB
2. OL
3. LB or OL(BPA)
4. LB or OL(BPA)
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:30 AM   #14
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,934 Times in 1,838 Posts

Not dissing Willie but he was arm tackled way to many times and we need somebody big and strong enough to run or fall forward thru those and be able to get the short yards.
I know the Bus is gone and he cant be replaced, but how many times did one player ever arm tackle him?
All I'm saying is we need somebody thats big enough to run thru people when needed and not around them. IMO

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:51 AM   #15
Steeldude
Living Legend

if bettis was hit before the scrimmage he usually dropped instantly. bettis isn't that hard to replace. take a fat RB and give him the ball.

the running attack has more to do with the poor O-line than the RBs at this point. too many defenders in the backfield too fast. upgrading the O-line is a must, IMO.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:35 PM   #16
Dook
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 906

Jerome Bettis' best ability, besides his size and speed, was his footwork. He would get the ball, stutter step to the left to delay enough for the guard to open a hole, then steamroll his way through it.

If a fat RB could do the job then Staley should have gotten a chance.

Upgrading the OL is a must? Sure but how do we do that?

I don't think you've taken a serious look at the free agent's available and the OL available to us at our #15 pick, basically we can't upgrade our OL.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:22 PM   #17
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,008 Times in 3,425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachspeak33 View Post

I firmly believe the we need to look outside our organization to fill this hole.... A hole by the way that killed way too many drives this season
i wonder is marshall faulk has any gas left in the tank for 1 more year, or if he is as done as duce.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:17 PM   #18
Dynasty
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2396

umm... he will probably retire... and he is gonna be to busy doing analysis for nfl network....
Old 01-17-2007, 08:20 PM   #19
MommyDoc
Water Boy

Member Number: 2636

I think our first priority is in resigning/restructuring some contracts, then we see where our needs lie in the draft.

First and foremost....RESIGN TROY!!!!!!!
I think Faneca should be a priority too, and I like what I've seen from Carter and Krieder plays a unique role in our offensive scheme. I like what he does and don't think he'd fit as well anywhere else.

If Smith and Porter are willing to restructure their contracts and take paycuts, then keep them, but their level of play does not warrent the hit we take with their salary cap value.

We also need a new punter, pure and simple. Whether he comes from FA or the draft, we need one desperately. I love Jeff Reed, but his kick offs are falling off and he needs some competition in training camp to keep his job and pick it up a notch.

The rest of the guys who are up for FA or whose contracts expire after 07 I am neutral about.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:23 PM   #20
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,008 Times in 3,425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WySilv View Post
umm... he will probably retire... and he is gonna be to busy doing analysis for nfl network....
rumor is he's not so much in a hurry to be pushed out the nfl door. granted he is probably done and does real well on the nfl network. BUT...if there were gas in the tank... (keep in mind he actually knows how to BLOCK on 3rd down)
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote