Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-17-2007, 11:16 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,486 Times in 3,950 Posts
Default Brian Billick given extension. why not Cowher?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2734122

during the week of cowhers resignation we heard alot about how his 15 years with one team was such an amazing feat in todays nfl. many talking heads said we will never see this again. maybe not with any coach hired from this year on out, but there are a number of coaches who could easily surpass cowhers 15 years with pittsburgh. i think the steelers level of success with their new coach will go a long way in saying if these guys remain with their current employers for the next 4-8 years:

jeff fisher
mike shanahan
brian billick
tony dungy
andy reid
bill belichick

what are the common denominators? all have made it to the superbowl or have been regular contenders in the playoffs year in and year out. all are on teams that have proven they will pay top dollar for top talent and or coaching.

manning, brady, mcnabb, and mcnair were all top paid qb's easilly making 10 million plus per year. so does brett farve. anyone think things mightve been better if green bay still had holmgren, who is the highest paid coach (that we know of) and last years representative of the NFC in the SB? i wont even get into c. palmers contract with m. lewis as the coach (he wont be there for 15 years).

baltimore has dumped tons of cash in their defense (highest paid safety) and went out and traded for mcnair. denver paid elway a gripload of cash and traded for the games top cb.

i think we all know ben will not be paid more than the aformentionned qb's, and we saw what happened with cowher where $$$ is concerned. i doubt troy get a contract more than ed reed's.

are the rooneys trying to win, or expecting to win? so far, in the past 15 years, we can easilly say the steelers and patriots model has been the one that works best. but now we are missing a very important piece. are we foolish to believe we will just continue to run with the big dogs? ultimately, figuring out how to spread the wealth seems to be key. the next 4 years will go a long way in showing if we are ahead of the curve too.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:07 AM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: Brian Billick given extension. why not Cowher?

Too true... however, the other problem is this. do you dump all your money on a few people... and get some superstars... or all your money on a lot of people, and get a lot of Good players. Seems the second has been the Steeler way. Problem is, you need to have a coach that knows how to make them play at top notch to be competitive.

the question is then, will we have that in the next coach?
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 12:33 AM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,486 Times in 3,950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Too true... however, the other problem is this. do you dump all your money on a few people... and get some superstars... or all your money on a lot of people, and get a lot of Good players. Seems the second has been the Steeler way. Problem is, you need to have a coach that knows how to make them play at top notch to be competitive.

the question is then, will we have that in the next coach?
the other teams i mentioned will have both. a long tenured head coach AND the high paid superstars. the steelers will have neither.

the "steelers way" has been adopted by the patriots since chick was hired, however big ben will not be paid higher than brady (not by the rooneys anyways) and no defensive player we have will be paid higher than seymore. we will not pay our coach more than belichick and we will not have a coach with as much experience or longer tenure.

to match the "patriot way" we will have to cut the price of our high priced o-line and wr. the key is to find that balance, and i will say it takes as much luck as skill. sure you make your own own luck (trading players for picks). but you also got to suck pretty bad (1-15) to get drew bledsoe, to turn into draft picks, or (5-11) to be able to draft a blue chip like seymour.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 07:58 AM   #4
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,240 Times in 3,618 Posts

I guess it is a question of whether it is the system or the HC that ran the system for the last 15 years that drove the results. We are going to find out.

In terms of playoff appearances and overall winning %, the Steelers way has been a regular season success over the last 15 years (and for the most part) a playoff disappointment. Steelers had enough player and coaching talent to win the games you shoud win in the regular season but not enough transcendent talent to win it all against good to great teams in the playoffs.

IMHO Cowher was a big factor in both regular season success and playoff failures. If he would not have won it all last year (following a SB where teh team reverted to its traditionally mediocre playoff standard) his nickname of "Little Marty" would stick like glue to his reputation.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote