Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-21-2007, 11:12 PM   #1
Rush58
Starter

Member Number: 516
Default 4-3 Cover 2? We have no DE(s)........

If we are going to play the Tampa 2 defense, we need a dominant DE. The Colts and Bears both have solid ends. We currently have no DE(s) but ends that are really DT(s). FA doesn't seem to be the Rooney calling card, so who can we possibly get in the draft?
Rush58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 11:22 PM   #2
Florida_Steelers_Fan
Starter

Member Number: 4759
Default Re: 4-3 Cover 2? We have no DE(s)........

yeah...i'll be curious to see how this shakes out. there's been a lot of guesswork reporting lately, so it's hard to believe anything we read in relation to assistant coaches.

the steelers need to get pressure on the football - they did a lousy job of that this season. maybe it's the ideal time to make this change (to a possible 4-3 defense) because the linebackers are getting a step slow.

i guess the obvious d-line choices would be hampton and hoke on the inside and keisel and smith on the outside...but those latter two are undersized, so i'm not sure what their future holds.

the more i mull this one over i'm just not sure what the rationale is...a LOT of money was spent on smith and keisel recently...i understand that they're (rooney's) looking for the new, hot coaching commodity. however, i don't understand why russ grimm was passed by. maybe they feel this team became a bit too complacent under cowher and want to take this franchise in a completely different direction? offensively i think they're fine, but defensively they have a whole lot of questions marks if they go to a 4-3.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:31 PM   #3
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Well, Tomlin did say he is not a "scheme guy." So maybe we play hybrid for a few years. I actually think Kiesel would be pretty good in a 4-3.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:02 AM   #4
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneForTheToe View Post
Well, Tomlin did say he is not a "scheme guy." So maybe we play hybrid for a few years. I actually think Kiesel would be pretty good in a 4-3.

I think that is a smart post. I really want us to be able to play both 3-4 and 4-3. Fact is, if one of our DE can play in the 4-3, we can move the other to tackle. Then we only have to pick up one. What I really like about the Tamp two is the ability of our Safety's to ball hawk.

Who knows though?
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:24 AM   #5
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Thanks Preacher, I do think we will run a great deal of 3-4. But, when we are playing the 4-3, I think it will either be Hoke and Casey at the DT's, with Kiesel and Smith at ends, or Casey and Smith at DT's and Kiesel and someone new or one of the LB's at the other end. I like Kiesel’s athleticism in either defense.

I also think Troy will excel at either defense. Casey may have one of the biggest adjustments.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 01:10 AM   #6
Petesburgh66
Team Captain

Member Number: 1988

The Steelers are not in a position to rebuild for 4-3 D. They have the players now in a 3-4 D to win next season. I am pretty sure with LeBeau still there, the Steelers will keep the 3-4 D. When LeBeau is gone, then all bets might be off. I still prefer a 3-4 D in the end.
Petesburgh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:04 AM   #7
Hines0wnz
Living Legend

Member Number: 3085

Um.....at least let Mr Timlin sign his contract before the D type speculation begins.
Old 01-22-2007, 05:46 AM   #8
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

I don't understand why everyone is assuming that Tomlin is going to overhaul the defense. OK, so he ran the Tampa 2 in Minnesota, but they were and have been running a 4-3 defense for years, making it easier to install that type of defensive scheme. Personally, I don't see him changing very much at all, especially if he keeps Dick LeBeau as DC, which I predict he will do. Besides, right now I think we would benefit from running the 4-3 at times since we don't have the depth at OLB that we used to. Keisel, Hampton, Hoke and Smith would be a pretty good DL in a 4-3, IMO.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:12 AM   #9
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Kiesel and Smith would flourish in the 4-3, but I agree and hope we still play the 3-4. I would love to see us mix it up though. It would be great to be able to do both well, and incorporate the cover 2 as well. I would love to see the schemes Tomlin and Lebeau could come up with. Hampton and Hoke would make a great tackle tandem as well.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 07:20 AM   #10
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,140 Times in 2,404 Posts

P-G says LeBeau is not likely to be staying.

The personnel do not fit a 4-3 and, as another poster said, the Steelers have sunk a lot of $$ into linemen suited for the 3-4. But it is not as if the D was dominant this year -how much of that was off years by players as opposed to poor coaching is unknown to me - I do recall that after one loss (Denver?) Townsend publicly griped about the D having become predictable - maybe the Rooneys agreed..

This team is headed for a major shake up - get ready for some bumpy years ahead.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote