Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-22-2007, 08:21 AM   #11
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751
Default Re: 4-3 Cover 2? We have no DE(s)........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
This team is headed for a major shake up - get ready for some bumpy years ahead.
You can say that again. It will be interesting to watch.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 08:35 AM   #12
Big D
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2313

I'm really not to worried about these changes. For one Lebeau is 70 years old. I think he would have retired within the next two years. So why not start making some of those changes. I dont think that tomlin will switch right to the tampa 2 this year. I think you will see it occasionally through out the year.
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:01 AM   #13
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
I don't understand why everyone is assuming that Tomlin is going to overhaul the defense. OK, so he ran the Tampa 2 in Minnesota, but they were and have been running a 4-3 defense for years, making it easier to install that type of defensive scheme. Personally, I don't see him changing very much at all, especially if he keeps Dick LeBeau as DC, which I predict he will do. Besides, right now I think we would benefit from running the 4-3 at times since we don't have the depth at OLB that we used to. Keisel, Hampton, Hoke and Smith would be a pretty good DL in a 4-3, IMO.
I agree. I'm taking the wait and see attitude - the man hasn't even been formally announced as the HC yet. If Lebeau retires or moves on to another team, I'm going to keep the faith that Tomlin and whoever he chooses as a DC (hopefully Darren Pery in that instance) will install a D that works best with the current defensive roster and whoever they can land in the draft to fill in the holes. I also think Keisel, Smith, Hoke and Hampton would do well adjusting to the 4-3, but let's wait and see what Tomlin has in store.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:08 AM   #14
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush58 View Post
If we are going to play the Tampa 2 defense, we need a dominant DE. The Colts and Bears both have solid ends. We currently have no DE(s) but ends that are really DT(s). FA doesn't seem to be the Rooney calling card, so who can we possibly get in the draft?
keisel and smith led the team in QB pressures last year in a 3-4. still need to address the poor and aging LBing corps.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:23 AM   #15
Tim
Starter

Member Number: 661

Yeah, I'm not so sure why LeBeau would leave. I mean, Tomlin is coming in to be Head Coach, not defensive coordinator. Just because that was his last position doesn't mean he's going to come in and change everything.

As for DE. I think we'd want to draft for that position, but we should also find someone in free agency.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:30 AM   #16
BigBen2WardPITT
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 551

Lets get real here guys, Dick is gonna be gone. Grimm is gonna be gone. Ariens will become OC. Sure, the offense will be fine, (i guess), but the D is a big issue, as brought up. Tomlin said:

"I think regardless of who they hire to be head coach they expect him to lead, and part of leading is being prepared to do things that you feel strongly about," Mr. Tomlin said after his second interview with the Steelers Tuesday at the team's training facility on the South Side. "I'm no different than anyone else in that regard."

This makes me think he will run the 4-3, and will get rid of LeBeau.

and more....

"While all Steelers assistant coaches are under contract, many of them likely will not be retained by Mr. Tomlin. Wide receivers coach Bruce Arians could be the one exception. He could become offensive coordinator under Mr. Tomlin."

"Dick LeBeau, in his second tenure as the Steelers' defensive coordinator, is unlikely to remain in that capacity under a head coach who believes in the 4-3 defense."

Ok to the person that said that Rooneys are trying to take the team in a new direction, does that sound like the Steelers at all? They kept freakin Kordell Stewart at QB for way too many years. They hardly sign any FA's, they just draft. I guess that all could change now but are the Rooneys really changing their formula for a hot new coach, even though the Rooneys formula has been one of the best? Sure it was under a different coach but there is no reason that cant transfer over to Tomlin. I'm not saying they wouldnttake the team in a new direction, but it just seems so unsteelers like. And by the way, if you think i am one of those people that doesnt want to see change, no thats not me, i'm just not sure a COMPLETE renovation is necessary.

I really hope Tomlin can run a 3-4 and 4-3 Defense, but as explained above, i think he is going to want to run his 4-3 defense.

On a side note, I like the idea of Arians for some reason, i just have a good feeling about it, i dont know if he runs or passes a lot or what, but i like the idea of having him at OC.

One things for sure, it's gonna be interesting.
BigBen2WardPITT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:36 AM   #17
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

I'm also thinking that having a new OFFICIAL leader means more than ever that we have to sign and keep happy the in-the-trenches leader Joey Porter. Porter might not be as good as he used to be, but his contribution to the team is more than what he does on the field. He was as much a part of the '05 team's emotional run to the championship as Bettis was. We need a guy who is dedicated to the coach and to the team both, like Porter is.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:41 AM   #18
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

I remember when Cowher took over (at least from what brain cells I didn't drown in alcohol in the years that followed) that people were thinking all these changes were going to take place.

I think we saw with Cowher, and could possibly see with Tomlin, that not much could change and we will be successful!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 09:47 AM   #19
SCSTILLER
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 4202

I know that this thread is about DE's, but my biggest worry about the 4-3 Cover 2 defense is how they use Troy. Troy is best when he gets to roam the field and make plays. In a Cover 2 they will want him to sit back a little bit, and that is not a good fit for Troy. I hope they keep him wandering around the field and making plays! But, I beleive Indy plays a Cover 2 and I do see Bob Sanders around the line alot, so maybe it will all work out.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:56 AM   #20
SteelerFanInCA
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 875

We have to just sit back and see how it unfolds. You gotta trust the Rooneys on this one. I think their track record speaks for itself.
SteelerFanInCA is offline   Reply With Quote