Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-22-2007, 11:07 AM   #21
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751
Default Re: 4-3 Cover 2? We have no DE(s)........

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSTILLER View Post
I know that this thread is about DE's, but my biggest worry about the 4-3 Cover 2 defense is how they use Troy. Troy is best when he gets to roam the field and make plays. In a Cover 2 they will want him to sit back a little bit, and that is not a good fit for Troy. I hope they keep him wandering around the field and making plays! But, I beleive Indy plays a Cover 2 and I do see Bob Sanders around the line alot, so maybe it will all work out.
A couple weeks ago I saw Urlacher make a play covering a wide receiver downfield....

Now, I don't see anyone switching Troy to LB, but I do see him being used to the max of his ability wherever he might be on the field at the time.

The switch to Tampa-2 might be a better move than we think. In order for LeBeau's 3-4 zone blitz to work effectively you need corners and safeties who can go man-man with any receivers in the league or else you risk giving up the big play a lot; that was a weakness in each of the last two years, but especially last year. I'd like to see a few more 3-and-outs than I saw last year; last year it seemed like everyone got a 14 yard gain on 3rd and 6.

What I always found interesting was that back in the late 70s and early 80s, everyone was going to a 3-4 and the Steelers used a 4-3. Then in the mid-80s, the league started going 4-3, and the Steelers switched to the 3-4. My thinking is that if LeBeau stayed we would stay with the 3-4, but now that he is going we'll go 4-3.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:32 AM   #22
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,515 Times in 3,749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSTILLER View Post
I know that this thread is about DE's, but my biggest worry about the 4-3 Cover 2 defense is how they use Troy. Troy is best when he gets to roam the field and make plays. In a Cover 2 they will want him to sit back a little bit, and that is not a good fit for Troy. I hope they keep him wandering around the field and making plays! But, I beleive Indy plays a Cover 2 and I do see Bob Sanders around the line alot, so maybe it will all work out.
My worry is not only how Troy will be used but for how long Troy will be used.

I have no clue if Troy is close to LeBeau and/or Cowher, but Cowher is gone and LeBeau certainly will not be here for long even if he comes back for 2007.

In addition to $$, if Troy is uncertain how his role will change in a new defense not best suited to his skill set that will further complicate negotiations to get him signed prior to the start of the 2007 regular season. If he is not signed by then, IMHO Troy is gone (to a reunion with Cowher?) after next season.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:57 AM   #23
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917

As long as we have Big Casey Hampton in the middle and athletic lbs, our 3-4 scheme will be successful. But with our aging linebackers, the pass rush is declining.
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:14 PM   #24
steel58
Water Boy

Member Number: 2732

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Yeah, I'm not so sure why LeBeau would leave. I mean, Tomlin is coming in to be Head Coach, not defensive coordinator. Just because that was his last position doesn't mean he's going to come in and change everything.

As for DE. I think we'd want to draft for that position, but we should also find someone in free agency.
Are there any current Vikings defensive stars that are free agents that would be willing to come here to stay with their coach and possibly take a little less money?
steel58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:25 PM   #25
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel58 View Post
Are there any current Vikings defensive stars that are free agents that would be willing to come here to stay with their coach and possibly take a little less money?

I believe Tomlin was DC for 1 year - I doubt any Viking FA has enough loyalty (assuming there would ever be that loyalty to any coach) to take less money to play for Tomlin in Pittsburgh.

Plus I think the Steelers are pretty much capped out for 2007 unless someone like Porter is cut loose - 2008 is where the FA signings may ocvcur if the Steelers do not get a lot of thier own FAs signed up after 2007.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:27 PM   #26
ajs8207
Starter

Member Number: 2795

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel58 View Post
Not really...here is the list.

http://vikings.scout.com/2/607694.html
ajs8207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:42 PM   #27
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 6,459 Times in 2,381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
My worry is not only how Troy will be used but for how long Troy will be used.

I have no clue if Troy is close to LeBeau and/or Cowher, but Cowher is gone and LeBeau certainly will not be here for long even if he comes back for 2007.

In addition to $$, if Troy is uncertain how his role will change in a new defense not best suited to his skill set that will further complicate negotiations to get him signed prior to the start of the 2007 regular season. If he is not signed by then, IMHO Troy is gone (to a reunion with Cowher?) after next season.
Letting Troy go would be one of the stupidest maneuvers ever!!!!! He has butt load of talent and I'm sure he'll fit in just fine with whatever D we end up with.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 12:52 PM   #28
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrabt View Post
Letting Troy go would be one of the stupidest maneuvers ever!!!!! He has butt load of talent and I'm sure he'll fit in just fine with whatever D we end up with.
No question Troy has talent but let's just say a number of his ties to the team (coaches and defensive scheme) are not going to be around in the future. It is not a question so much of the Steelers wanting Troy (although he had an off year and the concussions are a concern for a long term investment) but Troy wanting the Steelers.

With all the changes (definite and anticipated) nobody can claim if Troy would leave it would solely be about money.
Old 01-22-2007, 04:08 PM   #29
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamix View Post
As long as we have Big Casey Hampton in the middle and athletic lbs, our 3-4 scheme will be successful. But with our aging linebackers, the pass rush is declining.
That's why my worthless 2 cents thinks the rush to the 4-3 is not on. Was not the defensive line overall the brightest part of the season?

The one factor missing from this thread is Kevin Colbert. Other than the owners he is now the 'constant' in this organization. His success in drafting linebackers is proven...especially in the latter rounds. I thought our cornerback play was most dismal on the defensive side of the ball.

ATL Dan could have a point about a major change but history repels that concept unless ART II is wielding more control from big brother. And it sure doesn't seem like it.

I hope the focus this offseason is overweighted on the offensive side of the ball. Because it won't matter whether it is the 4-3 or 3-4 defense when our offense turns the ball over 3 to 4 times per game.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:44 PM   #30
Stlrs4Life
Tailgate Coordinator
Supporter

Member Number: 419
My Mood: Bored

I was at work today, did he say he was changing to the 4-3? Or are you guys assuming? A good sign that he isn't changing to the 4-3 is he retained Dick LeBeau!

It's not just Steeler Football, it's a way of Life! "I'm a Champion"
Stlrs4Life is offline   Reply With Quote