Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-22-2007, 11:00 PM   #11
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550
Default Re: Show your support

Most fans aren't going to give the guy a chance, and you can pick your own reasons why. Steeler fans are not known for their patience.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:04 PM   #12
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Most fans aren't going to give the guy a chance, and you can pick your own reasons why. Steeler fans are not known for their patience.
I don't know - I was pretty damn patient during the 26-year drought between SB wins. Not once did I ever think that Art Rooney and then Dan Rooney should ever "clean house" because we kept falling short. The "flush the current coaching staff if they don't win within 2 seasons" approach hasn't exactly worked for the Lions, Cardinals, and a boatload of other teams.

Last edited by fansince'76; 01-22-2007 at 11:11 PM.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:14 PM   #13
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
I don't know - I was pretty damn patient during the 26-year drought between SB wins. Not once did I ever think that Art Rooney and then Dan Rooney should ever "clean house" because we kept falling short.
Well then you are in the minority, because I don't know how many times over the years I've heard fans calling for Cowher's head, for their to be wholesale changes with the team, and even for the Rooneys to sell the team. These fans are never happy, because they think it's some birthright to have a SB champion every single year, and God help the Steelers if they don't win it.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:16 PM   #14
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
Well then you are in the minority, because I don't know how many times over the years I've heard fans calling for Cowher's head, for their to be wholesale changes with the team, and even for the Rooneys to sell the team. These fans are never happy, because they think it's some birthright to have a SB champion every single year, and God help the Steelers if they don't win it.
Yeah, I know, but this attitude isn't exclusive to just Steelers fans. I live in Denver, and believe me, the majority of Broncos fans are EXACTLY the same way.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:16 PM   #15
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,225 Times in 2,677 Posts

Quote:
I don't know about that, Tony - I like to think that Cowher did need a break from the grind. Coaches like Cowher who wear their emotions on their sleeves tend to not last very long as HCs - ten years is usually the max (see Madden, Vermeil, Ditka). We had Cowher for fifteen. On the other hand, "even-tempered" coaches like Landry and Belichick can stick around 30 years or longer.
well, i think we all could use a break from the grind. but a job is a job and we all got to do it. most arent as fortunate as cowher to leave an offer on the table. i think cowher was trying to find that "even tempered" balance to reach longevity in his career. it backfired and was seen as a lack of passion or effort.

i do think the time off will do him some good, both professionally and personally. i bet when he returns he will have the same passion but be a little more subdued as far as wearing it on his sleeve.

one thing i liked best was he knew how to yell and scream at the veterans and balance that with coaching and teaching the youngsters when they screwed up. im sure tomlin will be able to find that same sort of balance or the rooneys wouldve never hired him.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:27 PM   #16
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

Quote:
Give him a chance. Cowher was a nobody too. Grimm was actually my choice, but I think the Rooneys have a better insight into the situation than I do.
I will give him a chance, but to say that because Cowher was a nobody also does'nt mean that Tomlin will have the same success.

Cowher had a much better resume then Tomlin.

Also never underestimate the power of coaching your favorite team.

You take the coaching tree that Cowher came from along with his resume and comming home to coach his favorite team is why I think that the Rooneys knew that they had a winner!

BTW, if Tomlin was so hot then why was'nt Miami, Arizona, Oakland and Atlanta interviewing him?

I will support him with all my might, but if he is not winning then we need to move on.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:29 PM   #17
pittsburgh$teelersfan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 1466

Done
Old 01-22-2007, 11:32 PM   #18
ajs8207
Starter

Member Number: 2795

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustashark View Post
I will give him a chance, but to say that because Cowher was a nobody also does'nt mean that Tomlin will have the same success.

Also never underestimate the power of coaching your favorite team.

You take the coaching tree that Cowher came from along with his resume and comming home to coach his favorite team is why I think that the Rooneys knew that they had a winner!

BTW, if Tomlin was so hot then why was'nt Miami, Arizona, Oakland and Atlanta interviewing him?

I will support him with all my might, but if he is not winning then we need to move on.
Miami did interview him.

I think the Cardinals wanted a coach who could work with Lienart and those weapons on offense.

Oakland wanted an offensive coach. The only defensive coach they have interviewed is their defensive coordinator.

Atlanta probably wanted an offensive coach to take advantage of Vick's running ability.
ajs8207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 11:52 PM   #19
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustashark View Post

With all due respect, I don't think I ever said that. I'm not willing to say he's gonna go down in flames because he's "a nobody," either.

When Cowher took the HC job for us in '92, he only had 3 years experience as a DC (after 4 years as ST, then secondary coach) under Schottenheimer in Cleveland (2 AFCCG appearances) and KC.

Currently, Tomlin has 5 years of experience with Tampa (winning a SB) as a DB coach and 1 year of experience as a DC in Minnesota.

How, exactly, was Cowher's resume so much better at the same point in his career?

Suffice it to say, I had the same doubts about Cowher in '92 as I have about Tomlin now. We'll begin finding out in August and I can't wait.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:54 PM   #20
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs8207 View Post
Miami did interview him.
I think the Cardinals wanted a coach who could work with Lienart and those weapons on offense.

Oakland wanted an offensive coach. The only defensive coach they have interviewed is their defensive coordinator.

Atlanta probably wanted an offensive coach to take advantage of Vick's running ability.
Site your source on this? And if thats true did we get a reject that Miami did'nt want?