Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 01-23-2007, 12:00 AM   #21
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900
Default Re: Show your support

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
With all due respect, I don't think I ever said that. I'm not willing to say he's gonna go down in flames because he's "a nobody," either.

When Cowher took the HC job for us in '92, he only had 3 years experience as a DC (after 4 years as ST, then secondary coach) under Schottenheimer in Cleveland (2 AFCCG appearances) and KC.

Currently, Tomlin has 5 years of experience with Tampa (winning a SB) as a DB coach and 1 year of experience as a DC in Minnesota.

How, exactly, was Cowher's resume so much better at the same point in his career?

Suffice it to say, I had the same doubts about Cowher in '92 as I have about Tomlin now. We'll begin finding out in August and I can't wait.
I don't know how I could have taken it anyother way. You did'nt say what you meant so I had to go with what I thought you meant.

And you're saying that having 3yrs experience as a DC is not a better resume then Tomlin having coached only one?

How was Cowher's resume better??????? I think it's black and white, Cowher helped lead his team to the playoffs in that span and his D was the reason why they won that 1st playoff game.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:03 AM   #22
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,203 Times in 442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by augustashark View Post
I don't know how I could have taken it anyother way. You did'nt say what you meant so I had to go with what I thought you meant.

And you're saying that having 3yrs experience as a DC is not a better resume then Tomlin having coached only one?

How was Cowher's resume better??????? I think it's black and white, Cowher helped lead his team to the playoffs in that span and his D was the reason why they won that 1st playoff game.
Yeah, I see how much support he's gonna get from you. Two more years of DC experience really isn't that long considering he spent those extra two years learning NFL D from Monte Kiffin, which is like learning from LeBeau. I give him 3 years to produce (considering the talent he's inheriting - I'd give him 6 if we were in a situation like the Lions), or he's out. You?

Last edited by fansince'76; 01-23-2007 at 12:11 AM.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:07 AM   #23
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
I will give him a chance...I will support him with all my might...
Your other posts in this thread seem to indicate otherwise.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:11 AM   #24
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Yeah, I see how much support he's gonna get from you. I give him 3 years to produce (considering the talent he's inheriting), or he's out. You?
I'm just tired of hearing that because Cowher was unknown means that this guy is going to be a winner also.

Support?

I will support this guy till it hurts, he is now a Steeler and I would never want anything but the best for all that are involved with the Steelers. I just think that Rivera could have been worth the wait! He has the resume and the experience that I liked.

I do agree with you on the 3 year plan. He has to much talent and support to not get the job done. I think the guy will do ok, not because of his ability (that will help him in years 4-?) but because of the support staff and the Rooneys and the fans.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:12 AM   #25
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

Quote:
Yeah, I see how much support he's gonna get from you. Two years more DC experience really isn't that long considering he spent those extra two years learning NFL D from Monte Kiffen, which is like learning from LeBeau. I give him 3 years to produce (considering the talent he's inheriting), or he's out. You?
3 years to produce? Produce what? A SB? So what you're basically saying is that if the Steelers don't win a SB in the next 3 years, you will want him fired. But yet, you said you had all of this patience over the 26 years between championships and didn't agree with the revolving door of coaches that other unsuccessful teams have had. Well, which is it? I certainly don't want the Steelers to turn into teams like the Lions and Cardinals with their constant coaching changes that never pan out.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:15 AM   #26
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
I'm just tired of hearing that because Cowher was unknown means that this guy is going to be a winner also.

Support?

I will support this guy till it hurts, he is now a Steeler and I would never want anything but the best for all that are involved with the Steelers. I just think that Rivera could have been worth the wait! He has the resume and the experience that I liked.

I do agree with you on the 3 year plan. He has to much talent and support to not get the job done. I think the guy will do ok, not because of his ability (that will help him in years 4-?) but because of the support staff and the Rooneys and the fans.
That's cool - I'm sorry if I seemed harsh, after all, we're on the same side. And after going back and re-reading my initial post, I can see where you'd draw the conclusion that I was saying Tomlin is a "can't miss" as a coach. Alot of my enthusiasm is that we have a coach again (after 15 years, I did not like the feeling of not having one). That enthusiasm will become tempered by September.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:17 AM   #27
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Terminator View Post
3 years to produce? Produce what? A SB? So what you're basically saying is that if the Steelers don't win a SB in the next 3 years, you will want him fired.
Nope, I want a playoff appearance (please see post #5 of this thread). I'm a little more realistic than that. There's too much talent on this team as it stands to feel that it is unreasonable to expect that.

Last edited by fansince'76; 01-23-2007 at 12:25 AM.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:18 AM   #28
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Quote:
3 years to produce? Produce what? A SB? So what you're basically saying is that if the Steelers don't win a SB in the next 3 years, you will want him fired. But yet, you said you had all of this patience over the 26 years between championships and didn't agree with the revolving door of coaches that other unsuccessful teams have had. Well, which is it? I certainly don't want the Steelers to turn into teams like the Lions and Cardinals with their constant coaching changes that never pan out.
Ok, if he's losing games lets just let him continue to lose? That makes no sense. How many years would you go?

I'm not saying SB, I just want production! He has enough talent to get this team to the playoffs!

Payton and Mangini is the measuring stick right now, and if he does not live up to that then yes you need to look at the situation and see if he is making progress.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:22 AM   #29
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Quote:
That's cool - I'm sorry if I seemed harsh, after all, we're on the same side. And after going back and re-reading my initial post, I can see where you'd draw the conclusion that I was saying Tomlin is a "can't miss" as a coach. Alot of my enthusiasm is that we have a coach again (after 15 years, I did not like the feeling of not having one). That enthusiasm will become tempered by September.
No problem bro, I was'nt trying to put words in your mouth.

And you're right we are on the same side and I will toast a beer with you when we open up next year because no matter who are coach is we all only want one thing a W
Old 01-23-2007, 12:24 AM   #30
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Quote:
Your other posts in this thread seem to indicate otherwise.
Pointing out that his resume is not as strong as other canidates means I will not support him???????

Yea, I can see where you got that......Unreal!