Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-23-2007, 07:19 AM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,117 Times in 2,393 Posts
Default Ron Cook: Were others 'ruled' out by Rooney?

Does not seem as if Ron Cook is on board with the decision to hire Tomlin.

It's one thing if Mike Tomlin got the Steelers' job because he's the best candidate. If he is, that's terrific. Welcome to Pittsburgh. Best of luck. End of story.

But what if Tomlin isn't necessarily the best choice? What if he got the job because Steelers owner Dan Rooney cares just a little more about his NFL legacy than about his franchise? What if Tomlin got the job, at least in part, because of the Rooney Rule?

Would that be disturbing?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07023/756022-87.stm

Difficult to believe AJR II and Dan Rooney would sacrifice the interests of the franchise for the greater good of the league's image, but who knows?

I favored an outside hire because the history of inside promotions to HC in the NFL is not good. If the hire was simply about maxing out the chance to win next season above all other considerations then Whiz or Grimm should have been the choice. But since a HC is not hired for just 1 season and since a number of the players on this current team probably are going to be moving on after 2007 the long term advantages of an internal hire are not great.

Not hard to see what the main line of attack and innuendo on this choice will be if Tomlin does not get off to a strong start.

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 01-23-2007 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Added link
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:20 AM   #2
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917
Default Re: Ron Cook: Were others 'ruled' out by Rooney?

Clearly he isn't. And that isn't a very politically correct statement he made, living in the world we live in today.
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:29 AM   #3
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
But what if Tomlin isn't necessarily the best choice? What if he got the job because Steelers owner Dan Rooney cares just a little more about his NFL legacy than about his franchise? What if Tomlin got the job, at least in part, because of the Rooney Rule?
What if, what if, what if. Ron Cook is generally the only Burgh sports reporter that I give any credence to but I think he is trying to stir up a little poo here. What if Tomlin follows in Cowher's footsteps and takes the Steelers to the playoffs next season in his first year as HC? What if the Steelers go on to win the AFCC? What if the Steelers win SBXLII? If the Rooneys feel he is the best man for the job, as I said in another post - I don't give a rat's patoot if Tomlin is green with white polka dots.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:39 AM   #4
BlacknGold Bleeder
Team Captain
Supporter

Member Number: 1254

Sounds like he just wants to be the first to say "I told ya so ".....what an a$$. One of the best comments of the new coach was his statement about ,basically, "it will be better when it isn't news an African-American coach was hired, and just coach" Give the guy a chance !!
Old 01-23-2007, 08:02 AM   #5
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Let's make this simple.

Ron Cooke = media = lack of credibility = unintelligent when it comes to making comments

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:34 AM   #6
cbalke
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2602

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
Let's make this simple.

Ron Cooke = media = lack of credibility = unintelligent when it comes to making comments
completely agree with you here!
Old 01-23-2007, 09:38 AM   #7
HeartofSteel
Water Boy

Member Number: 3392

Dan Rooney care more about his NFL leagacy than his franchise?.....Are you kidding me?

Dan Rooney's legacy IS his franchise. Dan keeps two coaches around for 38 years and Ron Cook thinks he's suddenly worried about what the public thinks about who leads his team? Do you think the Rooney Rule could have been suggested, given credibility and adopted under the direction of Mike Brown, another son of a historical franchise owner? Dan has that kind of pull because he's widely respected by owners, coaches and players around the NFL. He's gained that admiration by successfully and respectfully continuing the legacy of one of the most storied franchises in the NFL. Dan Rooney does not need to worry about being forgotten by the NFL. And if he did, the fact that he once hired a black coach certainly won't make a difference.

The suggestion that Mike Tomlin was hired because he is black is ridiculous. He MAY have been interviewed because he was black. But he got the job because the ownership saw something in him that the other candidates lacked. Whatever it was....make no mistake, it wasn't his darker skin. The Rooney's haven't built a perennial competitive franchise for the last 40 years by trying to appear better than other teams. They did it by being better than other teams.

Ron Cook is a douchebag for even making the suggestion. He oughta know better....and if he doesn't he oughta act like he does.

Incidentally.......welcome to Pittsburgh, Coach Tomlin. I'm looking forward to years of success with our beloved team.
HeartofSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:41 AM   #8
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
Let's make this simple.

I agree with you there.

Cooke is just trying to stir the pot.He wants to be the first person to be able to point back and say "I-told-you-so" if Tomlin flops.

Now nobody can say hiring a black coach is not a smart move because no black coach has ever coached in the Super Bowl.After SB XLI there will be a black coach who has won the Super Bowl.

I am backing Tomlin,I like him,and I hope he brings is Super Bowl glory sooner that 15-25 years from now.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:46 AM   #9
Ward86MVP
Water Boy

Member Number: 1998

The Rooneys have a reputation for integrity for a reason. Tomlin was hired because they believe he is the right man for the job. To believe they hired him to make some sort of political statement is just trying to create something out of nothing.
Ward86MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:08 AM   #10
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

I think it must have been excruciatingly hard for the Rooneys to NOT hire Grimm, given that they've worked with him over the last few years and that they liked him so much that they promoted him to assistant head coach to keep him; Tomlin must have been quite a bit better to have won out over a guy who they had all but accepted as the next head coach.

I say that it's really impressive that the Rooneys had the integrity to make that decision, knowing that it would be considered unpopular among some people and that they would be letting down a man whom they probably considered a friend. In the end they probably asked, "If both these men came to us as unknown quantities, which one would we pick?" And kept coming up with Tomlin. And so they chose him, even though Grimm was obviously the safer pick. I don't think they would have gotten any flak by taking the guy they'd worked with and groomed for the job.

All the risk associated with the decision lies with them, finally. Knowing what we know about them, you can't help but be impressed with what they did this last weekend.

Tom
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote