Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 01-23-2007, 06:03 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,226 Times in 2,678 Posts
Default Asante samuel to squeeze blood from the turnip?

today his agent came out and said "he loves playing for the pats< but they are gonna have to love him back".

john clayton reported his arm tattoo says it all- "get paid", and that the patriots may have to reluctanly franchise him rather than pay him the champ bailey type of money he wants. ($65 million)

with the price of cb's quickly climbing i still hold out hope that ike taylor can prove to be a good value. maybe m. tomlin has some good ideas.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:11 PM   #2
boLT fan
Team Captain

Member Number: 901
Default Re: Asante samuel to squeeze blood from the turnip?

Good god, please come to the Chargers.
boLT fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:21 PM   #3
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Samuel has definitely developed into one of the better corners in the league. Wonder if the Pats will keep him, because I'm sure he's bound to get some pretty large bids for his services.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:09 PM   #4
hardwork
Banned

Member Number: 342

Asante had a classic show_me_the_money season. While I always liked him, and particularly his ability to give you what you need depending on the team you're playing, I wouldn't give him the huge bucks. If you can step it up during a contract season, you can ease off during a contract fulfilled season. Further, while he's definitely good, he is not one of the elite CBs.

One thing about Ty Law. As much as he liked the money, he NEVER eased off no matter what his contract situation was. That makes Law an honest man in my book. Patriots fans can say what they want about not resigning this player, or that player. But, there is only one player I regret the Patriots not resigning. Ty Law. Note: We haven't beaten the Colts since he left.
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:20 PM   #5
tony hipchest

good points, ones partially supported by the extension the steelers gave i. taylor. i pointed out that while the colts pretty much destroyed the cheifs, the only one to have a great game against them was none other than ty law. while letting branch go for a few bucks cost the pats a sb appearance and probably an easy win against grossman, the pats have proven they can pluck a wr out of nowhere. im not so sure it will be that easy to replace asanti. he has been a work in progress, who finally arrived. losing him now would be like losing law or harisson.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:41 PM   #6
hardwork
Banned

Member Number: 342

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
im not so sure it will be that easy to replace asanti. he has been a work in progress, who finally arrived. losing him now would be like losing law or harisson.
I also noticed Law had another good game against Manning.

"im not so sure it will be that easy to replace Asante. he has been a work in progress, who finally arrived. losing him now would be like losing law or Harrison."

No question they'll try to keep him. What they won't do is get into matching or toping unrealistic money that's out there because the caps gone up, or because some franchise needs to reassure their fan base, or some team thinks he's an elite CB.

Anyway, it will be interesting to watch as will other free agency movement this off season.

BTW, have you heard anything about the Steelers trying to satisfy needs through free agency this year?
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:50 PM   #7
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwork View Post
No question they'll try to keep him. What they won't do is get into matching or toping unrealistic money that's out there because the caps gone up, or because some franchise needs to reassure their fan base, or some team thinks he's an elite CB.
Which is exactly why the Pats should remain serious SB contenders for years to come.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:02 PM   #8
tony hipchest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwork View Post

BTW, have you heard anything about the Steelers trying to satisfy needs through free agency this year?
nothing at all. with all the focus on the head coach, and it seems everyone feels there is needs everywhere BUT the qb, there is no telling what could happen. whatever we need, if its not adressed in f.a. im sure it will be in the draft and vice versa. m. tomlin has his work cut out for him. alot of big decisions to be made right away on many fronts.

one thing about asante. he is young and he is a league leader in a statistical category. both couldnt be said about many pats free agents that have left (or been traded) recently. he could be the one the pats have a legitimate excuse to keep w/o feeling like theyre breaking their code. $30 mil under the cap (allegedly) says they can afford it.

then again, theres always hobbes, gay, maybe a draft pick and a lower tier f.a. who can offset his departure. (not a risk i would take though)
Old 01-23-2007, 10:15 PM   #9
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

IMO Samuel will not remain with the Patriots. I just don't envision them giving him the type of contract that i'm almost sure his agent will come to the table with. Not that he doesn't neccesarily deserve it,.....but i believe Belichick is confident that he could take the neccessary measures to make up for his (Assante) departure.
Is this poor judgement,......we'll see soon enough.
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:21 PM   #10
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCzar76 View Post
IMO Samuel will not remain with the Patriots. I just don't envision them giving him the type of contract that i'm almost sure his agent will come to the table with. Not that he doesn't neccesarily deserve it,.....but i believe Belichick is confident that he could take the neccessary measures to make up for his (Assante) departure.
Is this poor judgement,......we'll see soon enough.
The way that the Patriots share out the cap room, its always with one eye on maximising the talent level across the 53 - thats how we have made these postseason appearances despite lengthy injury lists.

A couple of exceptions to this rule are Richard Seymour and Tom Brady, arguably they are both the best at their position in the NFL.

If we had a young Rodney Harrison on board (or a Troy P) then Belichick/pioli may view them as worth paying the going rate for - I dont think that the Patriots management view Samuel in the same way.

My honest opinion is that its just a case of who he leaves to play for next year and what compensation we get.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote