Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 01-23-2007, 11:24 PM   #11
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579
Default Re: Asante samuel to squeeze blood from the turnip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past View Post
The way that the Patriots share out the cap room, its always with one eye on maximising the talent level across the 53 - thats how we have made these postseason appearances despite lengthy injury lists.

A couple of exceptions to this rule are Richard Seymour and Tom Brady, arguably they are both the best at their position in the NFL.

If we had a young Rodney Harrison on board (or a Troy P) then Belichick/pioli may view them as worth paying the going rate for - I dont think that the Patriots management view Samuel in the same way.

My honest opinion is that its just a case of who he leaves to play for next year and what compensation we get.

NM
Do you do a lot of drugs? Because that's the only way you could make an argument for Tom Brady as the best quaterback in the NFL.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:27 PM   #12
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMikeTomlin View Post
Do you do a lot of drugs? Because that's the only way you could make an argument for Tom Brady as the best quaterback in the NFL.
Actually,no I dont Jeremy.

Plenty of people outside of strict Patriots fans would agree, you obviously dont - and thats fine.

Who gets your vote?

Peyton Manning?

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:32 PM   #13
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Quote:
Actually,no I dont Jeremy.

Plenty of people outside of strict Patriots fans would agree, you obviously dont - and thats fine.

Who gets your vote?

Peyton Manning?

NM
Best quaterbacks in the NFL?

1. Brett Farve. Brady will never be half the player or man that Farve is, period.

2. Matt Hasselbeck

3. Donovan McNabb

4. Tom Brady.

Tell you what, why don't you just stick to taking cheap shots at the Rooneys. That's what you're good at jerk.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:35 PM   #14
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

Quote:
The way that the Patriots share out the cap room, its always with one eye on maximising the talent level across the 53 - thats how we have made these postseason appearances despite lengthy injury lists.

A couple of exceptions to this rule are Richard Seymour and Tom Brady, arguably they are both the best at their position in the NFL.

If we had a young Rodney Harrison on board (or a Troy P) then Belichick/pioli may view them as worth paying the going rate for - I dont think that the Patriots management view Samuel in the same way.

My honest opinion is that its just a case of who he leaves to play for next year and what compensation we get.

NM

It is wise to make the overall depth and or quality of the roster as a whole priority. But, with that said Samuel might just be your units 'Troy Polamalu' so to speak (ie barring injury,...inexpendable)
This is where the gamble on Belichick's part comes in IMO.
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:47 PM   #15
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCzar76 View Post
It is wise to make the overall depth and or quality of the roster as a whole priority. But, with that said Samuel might just be your units 'Troy Polamalu' so to speak (ie barring injury,...inexpendable)
Yep, point taken.

Samuel has always been a good CB, but this year (the contract year) he has been excellent.

If he had 2 years of excellent contribution I would have been a little more sold on him, then again - what I think doesnt really matter.

As you say, its BB/Pioli who have to make the choice - its a gamble either way.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:00 AM   #16
hardwork
Banned

Member Number: 342

Quote:

Yeah, but he isn't Troy Polamalu.

You can't be myopic and value a player by what he is compared to what else you have. That would be a prescription for disaster. You have to value him compared to the total pool of talent in the NFL. After all, that's who you play every Sunday.
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:13 AM   #17
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwork View Post
You have to value him compared to the total pool of talent in the NFL. After all, that's who you play every Sunday.

And with that said,.....exactly how many corners would you rank above Samuel at this very moment ?
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 01:31 AM   #18
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
And with that said,.....exactly how many corners would you rank above Samuel at this very moment ?
Off the top of my head.

Champ Bailey
Chris McAllister
Lito Sheppard

NM
Old 01-24-2007, 02:30 AM   #19
hardwork
Banned

Member Number: 342

Quote:
At this very moment?

Lets see. It's Wednesday, January 24th, 2007 at 2:28:09 AM EST, UTC/GMT -5.

I'd say 8.2974. Depends on what time DeAngelo Hall went to bed.

I know that response is a little curt, but I feel like you're pressing me here. What more do you want me to say? I think it's apparent what I feel the Patriots won't do in this case. They won't get locked into a long term big money contract with Asante Samuel. They might offer him more then they'd like to for a year, but not long term.

Last edited by hardwork; 01-24-2007 at 02:38 AM.
hardwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:41 AM   #20
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

I just think that the Patsies should trade him (Asante) to the Steelers for our 3rd or 4th round pick, I mean atleast get something for the kid while you can. He looked washed up this whole season, I wouldnt want him on my team either
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote