Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Bucs

Old 01-23-2007, 08:11 PM   #1
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding
Default Steelers sportline article?

Hi there. I'm practically new here obviously, so sorry if my post isn't quite up to standards just yet. And before you ask, I'm a Steelers fan. Otherwise I wouldn't be here.

Anyways, I was searching the steelers.com board as usual and I came across this CBS Sportsline article.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9949880

I have no comment as of this moment. I'm don't normally talk about these kinds of things too much. I'm not an analyst. But I have to say this, Hopefully Coach T. will be able to shut up the critics.

Last edited by Edman; 01-23-2007 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Improper Grammar. First post jitters.
Edman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 08:17 PM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,050 Times in 393 Posts
Default Re: Steelers sportline article?

Welcome to the board.

I loved Art Rooney, Sr. and Dan Rooney and all they've done over the years. The jury is still out - way out - on Art Rooney II in my eyes at this point.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:19 PM   #3
rags1336
Water Boy

Member Number: 4675

Grimm just seems like the hapless loser, Rooney called him to discuss what his salary requirements were if he did get the position and Grimms eyes lit up like they did when Mark Whipple would bring cake to the coaches meetings, and Grimm thought the job was his. I say good ridance, the guy wasn't even a good OL coach this year, I am glad the Rooney's went in another direction.
rags1336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 09:24 PM   #4
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Grimm or Tomlin, this whole thing was botched - badly - by Art II. If this is indicative of how he deals with people in general, I'm worried about this team once Dan Rooney passes on.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:38 PM   #5
Florida_Steelers_Fan
Starter

Member Number: 4759

he said vs. he said...we'll never know the truth. the problem is that the media was nosing their way into this, looking to get the story out there first. only God knows how many times tomlin's and grimm's cell phone were ringing with someone wanting information...i get the impression in this internet generation we live in that half (or more) of these crap rumors we read are just made up. whenever i read "sources" i just laugh it off. it's too bad that grimm feels slighted, but i also don't believe that art rooney was trying to be deceptive.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:42 PM   #6
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Steelers_Fan View Post
he said vs. he said...we'll never know the truth. the problem is that the media was nosing their way into this, looking to get the story out there first. only God knows how many times tomlin's and grimm's cell phone were ringing with someone wanting information...i get the impression in this internet generation we live in that half (or more) of these crap rumors we read are just made up. whenever i read "sources" i just laugh it off. it's too bad that grimm feels slighted, but i also don't believe that art rooney was trying to be deceptive.
"Rooney said he didn't recall anyone telling Grimm it was OK to notify his family that a decision had been made because, as Rooney said, one had not been made -- until Sunday afternoon."

Didn't recall? Please. I understand the reluctance to take anything the media has to say at face value, but this isn't the only time I've heard or read something negative about Art II. Art Sr. was a saint, and so is Dan, but I'm beginning to form the impression that this guy just may be the "rotten apple" of the family - and every family has at least one. Hope I'm wrong.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:46 PM   #7
Florida_Steelers_Fan
Starter

you're right...i highly question art's ability to let the steelers be the centerpiece and not him. it's time for dan to pull him aside and have that "integrity" talk with him and remind him of what the "core values" of this franchise are about. the steelers are not your run-of-the-mill franchise - they ARE different. art better wise up to this and not allow himself to become like these other idiot owners out there that want to be the focal point of the team.

this was truly botched up, but as long as tomlin rakes in the W's all will be fine and eventually go away. but i am a little disappointed that certain things leaked out that should have never been said.

and if grimm allowed himself to get too carried away with this then shame on him as well. i think he started to believe that HE was the man for the job once whiz took off to arizona. the media even hyped him up. that's why it's not over until someone shakes your hand and actually calls you "coach."
Old 01-23-2007, 10:11 PM   #8
SteelerMurf
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 2064

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida_Steelers_Fan View Post
you're right...i highly question art's ability to let the steelers be the centerpiece and not him. it's time for dan to pull him aside and have that "integrity" talk with him and remind him of what the "core values" of this franchise are about. the steelers are not your run-of-the-mill franchise - they ARE different. art better wise up to this and not allow himself to become like these other idiot owners out there that want to be the focal point of the team.

this was truly botched up, but as long as tomlin rakes in the W's all will be fine and eventually go away. but i am a little disappointed that certain things leaked out that should have never been said.

and if grimm allowed himself to get too carried away with this then shame on him as well. i think he started to believe that HE was the man for the job once whiz took off to arizona. the media even hyped him up. that's why it's not over until someone shakes your hand and actually calls you "coach."
But who botched it? I think it was a bunch of reporters trying to break the story and taking bits and pieces from un-named sources.

Lawyerspeak is all Art is doing with his I don't recall statement.

If the Steelers were so unsure about who to hire as coach that they changed their mind hours after giving Grimm the job....well they weren't ready to make the decision yet and wouldn't have told anyone anything. No way was he offered and then it was revoked unless Grimm himself did something stupid to take himself out of the running.

I don't care cause I didn't want Grimm anyway.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:16 PM   #9
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerMurf View Post
But who botched it? I think it was a bunch of reporters trying to break the story and taking bits and pieces from un-named sources.

Lawyerspeak is all Art is doing with his I don't recall statement.

If the Steelers were so unsure about who to hire as coach that they changed their mind hours after giving Grimm the job....well they weren't ready to make the decision yet and wouldn't have told anyone anything. No way was he offered and then it was revoked unless Grimm himself did something stupid to take himself out of the running.
All good points, however, I don't remember this kind of soap opera playing out during the Noll to Cowher transition either, when Dan was still running the whole show. Suffice it to say I've got doubts about Art II.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:17 PM   #10
Florida_Steelers_Fan
Starter

when someone misleads another person or makes a statement of which they "cannot recall" something they said it was botched. all i know is that it appears that grimm was led to believe, rightly or wrongly, that he was the next head coach of the steelers. somebody screwed up and i don't think the media was pulling this stuff out of thin air.

a statement that says, "we did not tell russ grimm that he would be our coach and are not sure how he could have inferred that" would put an end to all of this. oddly enough, art rooney never said this. that tells us that someone bothed this up, or at the very least, failed to properly communicate their intentions clearly.