Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 01-23-2007, 10:19 PM   #11
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Steelers sportline article?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
this isn't the only time I've heard or read something negative about Art II. Art Sr. was a saint, and so is Dan, but I'm beginning to form the impression that this guy just may be the "rotten apple" of the family - and every family has at least one. Hope I'm wrong.
Art II is an attorney (need I say more - LOL!) whose former firm, Klett, Lieber, Rooney & Schorling merged with a very large and well established firm, Buchanon-Ingersoll last year. As a paralegal, I have worked on the opposite site of Mr. Rooney several times and I can tell you from personal experience - he is quite pompous and condescending (like most attorneys) and has the people skills of a buzz saw. He is an excellent and well-respected corporate lawyer - I have to give him that, though he can be likened to a rabid dog from the buzz around the legal circles and my own experiences with him.

At present, Dan Rooney has the final say in just about everything involving decisions made in the front office and I do not believe for one minute that he would play mind games with any member of his staff - past, present or future- or any human being for that matter. He is a man of integrity and has earned every bit of admiration and respect he is and has been given around the NFL.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:30 PM   #12
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
Art II is an attorney (need I say more - LOL!) whose former firm, Klett, Lieber, Rooney & Schorling merged with a very large and well established firm, Buchanon-Ingersoll last year. As a paralegal, I have worked on the opposite site of Mr. Rooney several times and I can tell you from personal experience - he is quite pompous and condescending (like most attorneys) and has the people skills of a buzz saw. He is an excellent and well-respected corporate lawyer - I have to give him that, though he can be likened to a rabid dog from the buzz around the legal circles and my own experiences with him.
Thanks for the scoop, HTG! Since I live in Denver and have for years, I'm not up on the local poop in the 'Burgh anymore. You've confirmed my worst fears about Art II. Dan Snyder is/was an excellent IT businessman and also has the people skills of a buzzsaw - and the 'Skins are in the toilet and aren't looking to get out of it anytime soon. Jerry Jones is/was a consummate oilman, also possesses the people skills of a buzzsaw, and the Cowboys haven't won a playoff game in over ten years. I can see long, lean times ahead once Dan Rooney passes (hopefully not for a long time yet, but let's face it, he's getting up there in years).
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 10:37 PM   #13
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

All I will say is that Paul Brown was one of the grandfathers of this league and was one of the best coaches/owners to ever live. Now you look at his son and you think, wow there must have been a tornado the day that apple fell from the tree because it hit about 5 miles down the road.

It is not out of the question to think that Art II's apple fell pretty far from the tree also.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:51 PM   #14
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,299 Times in 3,268 Posts

That Sportsline story certainly is not any valentine for the Rooney Way, eh?

T.H. has been saying for some time in other threads that the selection process was $$$ driven, which is the only explanation I had for the sudden emergence of Chan Gailey after the first round of interviews and, in hindsight, "finalist" Ron Rivera being held in strategic reserve and never getting an interview while $$ apparently were discussed with Tomlin and Grimm's agents.

I think an outside hire such as Tomlin is the better choice but Saturday's conflicting rumors may have been prompted by both candidiates being asked "what is your salary number?" and then having their respective reps go to SI.com and the Trib-Review with the impression "what is your salary number?" was an offer. If this came down to selecting who was cheaper then a good choice was made for a bad reason.

The Trib Review has egg on its face from its Grimm is hired story but I do not look for them to write much more about it - no sense in antagonizing the Rooneys and the new HC. Better to play it safe like the P-G did on the hiring story (which I think is out of character for Ed.B.) and be a stenographic service for whatever the Rooneys tell you to print. Even Ron Cook's criticism of the hire is based on the Rooneys allegedly trying to be PC and noble rather than just cheap.

AJR II has had a bad six months as the new face of ownership.

Last edited by Atlanta Dan; 01-23-2007 at 11:21 PM. Reason: typos
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:03 PM   #15
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post

At present, Dan Rooney has the final say in just about everything involving decisions made in the front office and I do not believe for one minute that he would play mind games with any member of his staff - past, present or future- or any human being for that matter. He is a man of integrity and has earned every bit of admiration and respect he is and has been given around the NFL.

I agree Dan Rooney is a legendary owner but he has been letting AJR II drive the family car - Dan had the final say on Cowher leaving (after the extension negotiations handled by AJR II crashed this summer) and Dan presumably had the final say on Tomlin (after such mind games as the Chan Gailey candidacy and God only knows what was going on throughout Saturday)

I further agree Dan Rooney would never play mind games but I know attorneys do during both trials and settlement negotiations in advancing the interests of their clients. Putting the job up (or down?) for bid between 2 candidates to get the candidate you really wanted for a lower price would be something a savvy dealmaker would do as a matter of training and experience - it is not unethical, just a matter of getting the deal done.

That having been said, it has not been how the Rooney family has operated the Steelers - at least until now.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:10 PM   #16
augustashark
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
I agree Dan Rooney is a legendary owner but he has been letting AJR II drive the family car - Dan had the final say on Cowher leaving (after the extension negotiations handled by AJR II crashed this summer) and Dan presumably had the final say on Tomlin (after such mind games as the Chan Gailey candidacy and God only knows what was going on throughout Saturday)

I further agree Dan Rooney would never play mind games but I know attorneys do during both trials and settlement negotiations in advancing the interests of their clients. Putting the job up (or down?) for bid between 2 candidates to get the candidate you really wanted for a lower price would be something a savvy dealmaker would do as a matter of training and experience - it is not unethical, just a matter of getting the deal done.

That having been said, it has not been how the Rooney family has operated the Steelers - at least until now.
I would take a used car salesman over an attorney. $199/month!
Old 01-23-2007, 11:10 PM   #17
SteelCzar76
Banned

Member Number: 2498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post

Exactly.
SteelCzar76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:50 PM   #18
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,189 Times in 3,490 Posts

great takes dan. i could write a whole thesis paper on how these negotiations went down and it was just that. negotiations. cowher was obviously the best coaching candidate out there this year. many have noted how he tanked it. but only cowher could be a lame duck coach in his 2nd to last year in his contract rather than his last year like other coaches.

cowher noted in his farewell speech that he was always offered an extension after his bad years, but wasnt given one after winning the sb. when he bought his "house" (simple real estate investment) he did it knowing negotiations were coming up after the season whether he won a sb or not. he also knew he would be dealing with a different animal this time (artII). that house is what we call leverage.

the rooneys had it to and used it till the end. i dont know exactly when the news broke that tomlin was officially the guy but it seemed to be exactly when it was appearant that rivera would advance to the sb with the bears. the whole crazy deal that played out on saturday wouldve become even crazier had rivera been able to interview on monday and today we could be talking about any of the 3 remaining candidates as our new head coach.

with that being said, even though we were one of the last to make a hire i still wouldnt trade any of our candidates for who miami, atlanta, oakland (and eventually dallas) got/gets. im fairly confident with b. arians at o-coord but sure wish we couldve kept whiz. and credit to the rooneys for paying tomlin fair market value at $2.5 mil/ year, when last years coach of the year and this years NFC representative in the sb is only making $1.35mil.

the rooneys are looking for the next lovie smith and may very well have him.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:00 AM   #19
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Let's face it, no team, can take the privacy act anymore. They try to do things behind closed doors to figure things out and some office idiot decides to play "anonymous" and spill the beans.
There should be as few people as possible in the communication process to avoid such situations.
Either way, maybe Grimm got screwed or maybe he was just to over zealous when they talked salary, it doesn't matter. The past has happened and we now have Titanium Tomlin as our HC!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 11:48 AM   #20
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Based on HTG's much appreciated insights on AJR II having the standard operating personality for a partner in a major law firm and the fact that Cowher is no shrinking violet either, I bet the AJR II/Cowher contract discussions at some point involved some variation on a dynamic of AJR II attempting to tell Cowher who was boss, Cowher telling AJR II that he respects Dan but is not going to be lectured by some snot nosed lawyer who has inherited his cushy job as Steelers CEO, and it going downhill from there.

Everything I have read and heard supports the conclusion AJR II and Cowher detest each other.