Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 01-24-2007, 08:33 AM   #1
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917
Default Joey Porter vs. James Harrison

I know Harrison has had a couple injury problems recently, but who would you guys rather have starting? I know Porter admitted to having a down year, but his contract is still an issue. Porter has the edge in coverage, but Harrison is more of a physical talent, has that intimidating factor like Greg Llyod and could be a leader if given a chance, IMO. I'd give Harrison a chance.
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 08:46 AM   #2
Justin Otstott
Team Captain

Member Number: 539
My Mood: Relaxed
Default Re: Joey Porter vs. James Harrison

im jumpy on this...I love Porter but...yea but....his contract may be a little problem and we do have James who should be a starter so, I would say give James a shot!
Old 01-24-2007, 08:56 AM   #3
Steeldude
Living Legend

harrison all the way. porter should have been benched last year. porter is a soft LB.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:00 AM   #4
Infamix
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 917

You know what's even harder? RYAN CLARK VS. ANTHONY SMITH. They both hit hard, they're both ball hawks, they're both solid safties. Contemplation for Tomlin...
Infamix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:02 AM   #5
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Is it September yet???????
"We're not going to turn our backs on him," Ward said. "We're going to treat him like our brother. We're going to accept him back and be very supportive of him and help him get through this. In this locker room, he's still our quarterback."
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:02 AM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,040 Times in 3,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ?teeldude View Post
harrison all the way. porter should have been benched last year. porter is a soft LB.
thats funny. if porter gets stuffed by somebody like j. ogden, he is "soft".

i heard this going back to the superbowl last year when he had a quiet game. of course he was going against w. jones and being chopped with a t.e.

even greg lloyd was absolutely manhandled by larry allen in the superbowl. but for them to not be pancaked on EVERY play is a testament to their toughness.
tony hipchest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:06 AM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,336 Times in 2,901 Posts

Harrison certainly is less expensive but with the lack of depth at OLB I do not know if the Steelers think the risk of letting Porter goes outweights the benefit of saving $6 million. Certainly expect to see lots more of Harrison in 2007.

After Harrison recovered from his high ankle sprain it is unfortunate Cowher would not play Harrison more on D rather than just special teams, although it now is clear Cowher did not give a damn about looking ahead to who might be playing in 2007. Smith got PT only because Troy was hurt.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:15 AM   #8
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
thats funny. if porter gets stuffed by somebody like j. ogden, he is "soft".

i heard this going back to the superbowl last year when he had a quiet game. of course he was going against w. jones and being chopped with a t.e.

even greg lloyd was absolutely manhandled by larry allen in the superbowl. but for them to not be pancaked on EVERY play is a testament to their toughness.

i didn't say he was soft for getting stuffed by ogden. but he is soft for getting stuffed by TEs and RBs repeatedly. he also shys away from direct hits. rather than lowering his shoulder to tackle a RB, he stands upright. i won't even mention his "gildon loop"

the so-called most feared man in football gets 55 tackles...lol. he even had a couple of games where he only registered a single assist. i know, i know, he was in coverage or being triple-teamed.

porter is nowhere near lloyd's class.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:31 PM   #9
Florida_Steelers_Fan
Starter

Member Number: 4759

joey isn't going anywhere...but my guess is that this will be his last season in black and gold. as much as i like him, he runs his mouth too much for my style. when he's not in "attack" mode he becomes a very average linebacker. look for the steelers to address this via the draft or free agency this offseason. (and i'm still amazed how they stole farrior for next to nothing when they signed him).
Old 01-24-2007, 12:42 PM   #10
coachspeak33
Banned

Member Number: 2231

Is it me or does it seem that we had a completely different defensive scheme when Lloyd was playing, very effectively I might add, OLB for us?

As opposed to our current scheme, which appeared this season to be more focused on blitzes coming up the middle. Meanwhile, "the most feared player in the NFL" drops back into zone coverage.

I know there are a lot of Joey bashers out there.... I am not one of them. But if this is how Lebeau/Tomlin plan on using their OLB then by all means cut ties w/ Joey, because no LB is worth 6 million per season to drop into zone coverage.

This is going to be one of the most interesting drafts for this organization in a long long time. And I think it will tell us a lot about what offseason FA moves we can expect.
coachspeak33 is offline   Reply With Quote