Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 01-24-2007, 08:08 PM   #21
SteelerFanInTX210
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 4760
Default Re: Joey Porter vs. James Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneForTheToe View Post
Greg Lloyd was a very good Lb'er, who became a monster of a Lb'er, when Kevin Greene started manning the other side of the field. Not to discount the talent of our Lb'er's, but the difference between this teams outside backers and Lloyd/Greene duo, is that Lloyd and Greene could get a pass rush even if the Steelers were not blitzing. Porter and company just don't have as much natural pass rushing talent. You can throw Chad Brown into that mix in the middle as well.
I have to comment on this because I dont think Joey has much help elsewhere. These days there has to be something else that an offense can focus on or a defensive playmaker will get shut down. Greg Lloyd had Kevin Greene. Porter has who........?? Haggans...please. James is very athletic and he IMO can play every LB position in the 3-4 i think they were going to put him in the middle during the season sometime. Why not put him opposite Porter? Defense was banged up this year too.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:32 PM   #22
wv2kybohntr
Water Boy

Member Number: 3024

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
I agree - and I think Tomlin should take the approach coming into his first training camp that everybody, with the exception of possibly WP and Taz, has to earn their spot. Yes, that includes Ben.

I wholeheartedly agree that new blood in the coaching ranks forces everybody to earn their spot on the team. I don't see threats to Parker, Troy or Ben, but I do see the challenge to perform every day and a new coach that probably won't hesitate to pull Ben if he starts the season the way he did last year. I barely was able to survive the coaching search, not I have to wait on the draft and the season to start. It's going to be a great year for Steeler footbal and I already picked out my tattoo to commemorate the new coming of Black and Gold!
wv2kybohntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:19 PM   #23
aburdell
Water Boy

Member Number: 2310

Does anybody think we will go to the 4-3 defense. I no Lebeau is still coordinator, but tomlin the new head coach is a 4-3 fan. there are ups and downs to this. Pros - our defensive line would be huge with hampton kiesel smith and hoke we would pressure the QB like crazy i think. Cons - our linebackers arent made for that scheme, they are good but they cant cover like say the bears backers can. another Con would be that could take away the effect of polamalu vs the run. This is kinda interesting because it was the 4-3 that won us 4 super bowls with non other than dick lebeau so what do you all think?
aburdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:22 PM   #24
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by aburdell View Post
Does anybody think we will go to the 4-3 defense. I no Lebeau is still coordinator, but tomlin the new head coach is a 4-3 fan. there are ups and downs to this. Pros - our defensive line would be huge with hampton kiesel smith and hoke we would pressure the QB like crazy i think. Cons - our linebackers arent made for that scheme, they are good but they cant cover like say the bears backers can. another Con would be that could take away the effect of polamalu vs the run. This is kinda interesting because it was the 4-3 that won us 4 super bowls with non other than dick lebeau so what do you all think?
I think alot of folks around here (myself included) would like to see Tomlin and LeBeau work out a hybrid 3-4/4-3 with multiple sets, kinda like the Ratbirds have.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 09:25 PM   #25
Florida_Steelers_Fan
Starter

Member Number: 4759

the zone blitz is only as good as your db's...face it, the steelers corners didn't play too well this season. when the cb's are suspect the lb's look bad. the strength of this defense, this past season, was the d-line.

ike taylor needs to re-establish himself and i look for mcfadden to show up big...this teams biggest weakness, under tomlin could now become their biggest strength. when that happens the lb's will look like all pro's again.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:10 AM   #26
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFanInTX210 View Post
I have to comment on this because I dont think Joey has much help elsewhere. These days there has to be something else that an offense can focus on or a defensive playmaker will get shut down. Greg Lloyd had Kevin Greene. Porter has who........?? Haggans...please. James is very athletic and he IMO can play every LB position in the 3-4 i think they were going to put him in the middle during the season sometime. Why not put him opposite Porter? Defense was banged up this year too.
Actually, I agree with the above post.
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 07:07 AM   #27
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerFanInTX210 View Post

i see it the other way around. haggans has no help from the opposite side. porter flailing around and doing the gildon loop isn't going to help. you could have reggie white opposite porter and he will still be nothing more than an average LB on a good day. stick a fork in him.

the steelers have 4 very average starting LBs. time to upgrade.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote